Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nutzoids

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2003
Philly
So after installing Panther last night I noticed that the graphics on my iBook Graphite 466 were...well lets just face it...junk! Everything is blurry and hard to see/read. Also the thing that gets me all fired up...Fast User Switching doesn’t turn. My screen fades out and the new one pops up...NO COOL CUBE!...I tried to check the displays in System Preferences...and it looks like panther doesn’t recognize the screen. Please tell me I’m not the only one...and there is a fix to this! Also in the Display menu I clicked on Calibrate...only to be disappointed by an error message telling me that I can't do it :(

PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP!

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Re: iBook Graphite woes

I can't help with your other problems, but you are not going to get the cool cube because your mac is too old to do the effect.

Ajmbc

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2003
Louisiana
Go to the Monitors pane in System Preferences and make a new Colorsync profile. This happened to me (iBook 700)

Hope this helps!

-ajmbc

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
oh no

I have an iBook 366mhz... and I hope panther isnt that awkward! I know that the spinning Cube effect only works on Quartz Extreme... which us old iBook users cant use.

What do you mean everything is faded? Can you explain a bit more for me?

Thanks

Nutzoids

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2003
Philly
Re: oh no

Originally posted by SpaceMagic
I have an iBook 366mhz... and I hope panther isnt that awkward! I know that the spinning Cube effect only works on Quartz Extreme... which us old iBook users cant use.

What do you mean everything is faded? Can you explain a bit more for me?

Thanks

Ok my explaination...It seems like the colors are bleeding togeather...Also most of you know what iTunes looks like...to me it looks like a blank page from Word...just a white sheet...the lines and shading is so off you can't even see it...I tryed to turn down the brightness...but it kinda made it worse...Not just iTunes but the whole thing is like that...No definition, it seems as if there are no drivers for the video...it's just not as nice and crisp as I am used to.

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
Nutzoids:

Panther's running great on my Graphite iBook 366. It's using the same profile (created using SuperCal) I had under Jaguar. Unfortunately, because that profile is very high-contrast, the menubar looks kind of funky--so if I don't get used to it I'll just create a new profile. And everything looks fine using the stock profile.

I dunno what's wrong with your iBook. You've tried rebooting, selecting (and/or creating) a profile in the Color tab of the Displays preference pane, and all that kind of thing?

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that the Displays prefpane doesn't recognize your display. If it won't let you change the resolution or number of colors...that would be a problem, and I'm not sure what the solution would be. Perhaps deleting ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.WindowServer.plist (off the top of my head) would help in that case?

FWIW
WM

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.