Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

schwine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
What is the best LightScribe software for Mac OS X (10.4.11 Power PC)?

Thanks for any tips.

Sincere

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2003
Wonderland
Disc Cover... Others?

Disc Cover works, but isn't free. It's alright, better than the simple labeler but I was looking for something better than it when I came across this post. Any more ideas?

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
the biggest problem with Lightscribe for a Mac is it is easy to find the simple labeler but not the full template version I did the work here for you, this is the link to the proper labeler to fully use Lightscribe:

http://www.lacie.com/support/drivers/driver.htm?id=10061
edit:
OK the info gets even better now the normal settings for the lightscribe labeler are a little washed out even in the highest contrast setting BUT here's the good news you can fix that by opening a terminal window and upping the print quality if you follow the instructions here:

http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadSection/pse/

Just scroll down to the instructions for Mac and click on the little link marked "here" in the paragraph to figure out how--it will cause the burner to take a bit longer to burn a high contrast label but well worth the time.

Piplodocus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
I was looking at getting a Freecom drive (It's slim, buspowered reading, FW400 too, and Aluminium). Are these drivers/software universal enough to use on that, or would it have to be a LaCie drive?

Tobias-Funke

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2012
Back East
USE Lightscribe via Toast for a MAC

What is the best LightScribe software for Mac OS X (10.4.11 Power PC)?

Thanks for any tips.

Recently got rid of an old Dell that had two Lightscribe drives in it. Very nice to make Lightscribe discs but I have a new Mac Pro and wanted to shift all to it. I found that you can download the Lightscribe software easily but it only runs the simple version meaning no custom labels using one's one pictures and such.

If you open Roxio Toast and go to Disc Cover RE, you can actually make your own disc using your own graphics and text. You must export the template you make but you can send it right to Lightscribe and it will make your disc from there.

It is noticeably slower than the PC but you can still get what you want. Maybe it is me but I had yet to see this mentioned anywhere.

Thus using Lightscribe is easier now on my MAC. Believe it or not, some people still want CDs. Long live Rock and Roll!!

Hope this helps anyone doing a Google search for "Lightscribe for mac images for simple label" since the simple label maker via the Lightscribe download allows for words to be put on a disc, you cannot do images. Using Toast gets around this.

Have fun!!:D:D:D:D

Running Mac Pro Tower with OS 10.6.8

Last edited:

orcarexx

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2015
the biggest problem with Lightscribe for a Mac is it is easy to find the simple labeler but not the full template version I did the work here for you, this is the link to the proper labeler to fully use Lightscribe:

http://www.lacie.com/support/drivers/driver.htm?id=10061
edit:
OK the info gets even better now the normal settings for the lightscribe labeler are a little washed out even in the highest contrast setting BUT here's the good news you can fix that by opening a terminal window and upping the print quality if you follow the instructions here:

http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadSection/pse/

Just scroll down to the instructions for Mac and click on the little link marked "here" in the paragraph to figure out how--it will cause the burner to take a bit longer to burn a high contrast label but well worth the time.

Since six years have passed and there no longer is a lightscribe.com, I am wondering if you might have a way I can get ahold of these instructions for upping the print quality of a lightscribe drive. Thanks.

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
I cannot speak for the lacie stuff. However, an alternative can be had in the Roxio Toast suite. Their Disc Labeler program can output to light scribe.

If you already have Toast, I wouldn't upgrade. You already have the software. The last two upgrades were not worth the money IMHO.

My overall experience with lightscribe is disappointing. I still have stacks of unused media. You could see the potential for sure. It just never got close.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.