PDA

View Full Version : New Longhorn build screenshots! We can sit safe for a few mo...

MacBytes
Oct 26, 2003, 05:32 AM
Category: Microsoft
Link: New Longhorn build screenshots! We can sit safe for a few more years....... ;) (http://funmac.com/showthread.php?s=af6187d906c7e0e33b46145190c8416c&postid=25829)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

Deggy
Oct 26, 2003, 05:42 AM
Should this not be in the humour section, I laughed at the appauling attempt at trying to make the os look cool. And whats with the big waste of space on the right of the desktop.

mac15
Oct 26, 2003, 09:13 AM
Tell me about it right ;) this is just pathetic :)

Bendit
Oct 26, 2003, 10:27 AM
What's more pathetic are the people juding it as if it was a final release.

This is an alpha. the final version is another 2 years away and I bet you the last thing they will work on is the UI. Why would you release versions with a UI that people can steal and implement before you do?

The final version will look NOTHING like it does now. It's just a placeholder the programmers are using until it's almost finished, the gee-whiz designers won't get too touch it yet.

Giaguara
Oct 26, 2003, 10:39 AM
the first screens "what do you want to do" lacks "return this piece of ... and get a mac".

gerardrj
Oct 26, 2003, 03:24 PM
YES! Exactly what I wanted to say.

The people writing "reviews" of Longhorn are the rediculous ones at this point.

And personally, I don't find it "ugly" or "pathetic", it's just very simplistic. It reminds me of some of the basic X Windows widgets.

Originally posted by Bendit
What's more pathetic are the people juding it as if it was a final release.

This is an alpha. the final version is another 2 years away and I bet you the last thing they will work on is the UI. Why would you release versions with a UI that people can steal and implement before you do?

The final version will look NOTHING like it does now. It's just a placeholder the programmers are using until it's almost finished, the gee-whiz designers won't get too touch it yet.

jamesatzones
Oct 26, 2003, 03:32 PM
With the release of Panther, Apple is on top even after Longhorn gets released in a few years. We should be at 10.4 or even 11 by the time Microsoft can insert all of their bugs into Longhorn. This proves that Apple is years ahead...

fraeone
Oct 26, 2003, 04:10 PM
Comparing Panther to Windows XP proves that Mac is ahead in the OS department, comparing Panther to software that is over 2 years away is beyond ridiculous.

Windows XP didn't get "Luna" until Release Candidate 1. RC1! This is hardly even an alpha, and MS has made it clear that we're not looking at "Aero" (the final LH UI). Once Longhorn is released I'm sure there will be all kinds of ways that Mac OS is better, but until then, making any sort of judgment is just fanatic evangelism. Such hyperbole manages to keep a lot of prospective switchers from switching--which in the long run will only make Apple HW/SW more expensive.

Cooler heads always prevail.

latergator116
Oct 26, 2003, 07:45 PM
All I can say is that windows is a piece of ****. What more is there to say?

1macker1
Oct 27, 2003, 11:02 AM
It appears to be more of an professional look to longhorn. I like the longhorn logo. I think it looks pretty good!

"Comparing Panther to Windows XP proves that Mac is ahead in the OS department, comparing Panther to software that is over 2 years away is beyond ridiculous."

How can you compare Panther to XP, XP is two years old.