Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbydon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2005
ATL
I know Forever is and odd statement for technology but what i'm getting at is...
How many Updates will we get before Apple moves on to the next apple tv device.
How many times can they keep updating.
For instance, the iphone's free software updates will keep coming for 2 years from its arrival....just my opinion.

Just curious as to what people think.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
Apple has stated they are accounting for the AppleTV over a 24 month period (thats what allows updates that add new features without charging). I don't know what happens after the 24 months - new hardware Im guessing (one more year).

bbydon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2005
ATL
24 months sounds about right....i didn't know how long is was spread out over apple accounting.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
There are really three questions:
  1. For how long will Apple add new features to first-generation models of the Apple TV?
  2. For how long will Apple support the current features on the first-generation Apple TV?
  3. Once they drop official suppport, which features will remain (not requiring support) and which will cease working?
Presumably, Apple will consider the money they can make from rentals (and purchases) vs. the cost to them of providing support on older Apple TV models once there are new models with greater capabilities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.