Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moo-Boo

macrumors regular
Original poster
My dearest Mac friends,

It seems that I have the opportunity to buy a 17" PowerBook. I feel a little guilty about it though, because it is a luxury, rather than a necessity. A necessity would be something like a 15" PowerBook or 13" MacBook. I already own a splendid 15" MBP and enjoy it immensely. I have been blessed with wonderful Apple hardware, but don't wish to overdo it. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing, even with Apple computers! But, what would your advice be?

Thank you so much for your input and advice, and take care of yourselves,

Matt and the Cat

joekix

macrumors 6502
sure... why not? :D

i don't really need my mbp, but it looks really nice and i want it. i don't need a mb air, nor do i want one. i don't need an imac g4, but i think i'm going to get one.

actually, it all depends if you have the money or not. sorry i couldn't be more helpful.

Moo-Boo

macrumors regular
Original poster
sure... why not? :D

i don't really need my mbp, but it looks really nice and i want it. i don't need a mb air, nor do i want one. i don't need an imac g4, but i think i'm going to get one.

actually, it all depends if you have the money or not. sorry i couldn't be more helpful.

Well, thankfully I do have the money and I like the way you think! Thanks for the advice!

Matt and the Cat

ericsthename

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2005
Vancouver BC
I'm going to chime in on what i'd do if it were me...

Since the 17inch PB and your current MBP are essentially very similar, it will become a stale purchase after you've spent a few weeks playing with it and messing with stuff you wouldnt do with your main machine.

If it were me I'd probably put a bit of the cash towards an external monitor or some other hardware that's a bit further from what you already own.

I mean, unless the 17 inch PowerBook has some sort of undeniable nostalgia attraction, in that case nobody could tell you otherwise.

Moo-Boo

macrumors regular
Original poster
I'd just like to thank all of you for your tremendous input. I'm still a little hesitant, but I think I will buy the PB in the next couple of weeks or so. I'm not sure what I'd do with a second monitor, but if it were attached to an upgraded G4 PowerMac, it would be nice. But, already owning a 2.4GHz iMac, I'm doing pretty well.

Thanks once again for your invaluable advice and I hope all of you have a superlative weekend!

Matt and the Cat

a104375

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
Matamoras, PA
i think it would be a good idea if you have a use for it but if you dont need it then i wouldnt buy it. i would use the money to buy something else for myself

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.