PDA

View Full Version : Power Mac Dual G5 vs Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

iGrant
Feb 15, 2008, 09:53 PM
Hi

I am looking to get another mac to do some basic video editing and encoding. All the editing is going to be done in the mpeg4 format and once the video has been edited I am going to encode the video into H.264. My question is which will be better A Power Mac Dual 1.8Ghz G5 or a Mac Mini Core 2 Duo?

I am looking for stable set up that can handle encoding video for a few hours at a time. I am leaning towards the Power Mac Dual G5 because of how much more cooling it has however that said a Mac Mini with a Core 2 Duo running at 1.66 Ghz would also probabley work well. I appreciate any opinions or insight you might have.

Thank you so much
iGrant

RGunner
Feb 15, 2008, 10:02 PM
I sold my G5 DP 2.0 (with ATI 9800XT), after using a Core Solo Mac Mini with Handbrake and MTR.

The Core Solo stomped the G5.

Thats my 2c.

QCassidy352
Feb 15, 2008, 10:16 PM
I sold my G5 DP 2.0 (with ATI 9800XT), after using a Core Solo Mac Mini with Handbrake and MTR.

The Core Solo stomped the G5.

Was this in any sort of controlled test? Because every benchmark in existence suggests that's not remotely possible. The dual G5s seem to perform about equal to similarly clocked core duos, not core solos at 75% the clock. Plus of course the G5s have vastly superior graphics, faster hard drives, and much higher RAM capacities.

That said, for pure processing power (which would include MTR and handbrake) a current mini would probably beat a G5. (note however: there is no 1.66 Ghz core 2 duo mini. Gen 1 was 1.5 core solo/1.66 core duo, gen 2 was 1.66 core duo/1.83 core duo, and gen 3 is 1.83 core 2 duo/2.0 core 2 duo.)

Still in all, I'm not sure I'd go with a mini for sustained rendering. It would probably be fine, but it's not what it was built for. There are a lot of components packed in to a really small space, and I too would worry about heat. The G5, on the other hand, was made to do that kind of work.