Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

User X

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
I can't print in Panther with my Epson C82. All Jobs are stopped in the cue. Anyone else have this probem or a work arround?

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
My Lexmark Z12 spits out blank pages now. Yes there is a cartridge, and yes it has ink. I'll look around for a new driver.

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
Originally posted by j33pd0g
My Lexmark Z12 spits out blank pages now. Yes there is a cartridge, and yes it has ink. I'll look around for a new driver.

Nope. No new driver. Will downgrade when I get a chance.

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
Panther PRINTER Problems? Not really.

Panther Disc 3 has lots of Epson drivers and some other printer drivers - consider loading them, then be sure to run Disk Utility and repair Permissions because you will need to - guaranteed.

My Epson 900 is attached to my G4 via USB and was no responding, which is how i found out Print Center is GONE - replaced by PRINT SETUP UTILITY.
Oddly, when I went to the Dock and clicked Print Center - it magically changed to the new PRINT SETUP UTILITY. COOL!
I re-configured Xexrox Tektronix 850DP the same way and it's working fine via TCP/IP. You really should have no problems.

Suggest you setup your Epson printer again (USB?) and then be sure it is selected in the pull down menu when printing a document.

You should NOT have a problem. Check Panther HELP for setting up printers, either within the OS or online with Apple support for Panther. It's there, be patient and work through initial setup again.

Any apps (Adobe, MS Office, Toast, etc.) crash on you? Reinstall apps after removing them and their Preferences.

Don't you just love the new speed? My G4 dual 1GHz feels like a G5. ;)

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
My Epson C82 prints fine on Panter. Try unplugging the printer, deleting the Printer, and then plugging it back it and it should automactically recognize. That should be the fastest way to fix it.

c2kvette

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2003
Charlotte, North Carolina USA
Originally posted by iEric
My Epson C82 prints fine on Panter. Try unplugging the printer, deleting the Printer, and then plugging it back it and it should automactically recognize. That should be the fastest way to fix it.

You don't have to unplug it - just delete your printer and re-add it.

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
Originally posted by snickelfritz
Try the GimpPrint drivers included in Panther.

Gimp Print FAQ

Thanks. No Lexmark Z12 support. I guess I'll buy a new printer anyway. It only cost me $49.00. Any ideas for my next printer? I'm not to interested in printing color. I kind of only need BW.

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
new printer

j33pd0g

Hard to believe a Lexmark printer that worked in Jaguar is no longer supported in Panther. Check Printer info with http://www.apple.com/support
Panther claims even broader support for all printers, including older models.

I just don't believe you have a driver problem. Just delete the old Printer from your Printer Setup Utility and ADD it back in again.

Oddly, the paper spitting routine happened with a recent Canon printer when I helped a friend reload Jaguar a month ago. The Canon i450 worked fine when we deleted the printer and added it back in.

If you go inkjet, Canon has some new low priced versions with huge Black tanks.

I like my Epson 900 for $200 USD because it prints directly on CD and DVD discs, no paper labels required unless the disc surface is not pure white and "printable" - Memorex has blanks 30 for $15. Epson 960 does the same but with individual color tanks @ $350 and even better photo quality.

However, inkjet ink is more expensive (even black only) than most laser cartridges cost per page of use. HP always has great laser printers, and others are very competitive depending on what's stocked in your local store.

For prepress utility and "free" BLACK ink, Xerox Tektronix 850DP is excellent. Check eBay for used in your area. It uses wax base ink, meaning you should NEVER turn printer OFF, otherwise, it runs an expensive cleaning process each time you turn it ON. I even have mine on a heavy battery backup to avoid electrical supply hiccups.

Where in the world are you, j33pd0g?

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
HP 2100 has ground to a halt with 10.3

It's dead. I had just gotten my HP Laserjet 2100 working better under 10.2_. Connected via USB to an HP Connectivity EIO card - my dual 1.42 and the HP just aren't speaking. I've spent about seven hours trying different fixes and work-arounds.

In my system info screen, it shows the HP USB Connectivity Card on a USB bus (I've tried all the various USB ports to make sure that's not the glitch). I've installed the thing sooo many times. Arg.
Arg.
Arg.

Tried putting on the drivers from the HP site - didn't help and messed with the OS until I took it off. Reloaded the HP drivers from Panther Disc 2. No response. Just the "Printer not responding" in the printer set-up box.

I suppose I could shell out $300 for an HP IP 615n internal EIO print server, but I may just buy a new printer at this point. I'm not happy about that option - this printer is fairly new (under 2 years).

Perhaps I need to inquire what folks are having success with on one of the other threads.

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
Re: new printer

Originally posted by MacRAND
j33pd0g

Hard to believe a Lexmark printer that worked in Jaguar is no longer supported in Panther. Check Printer info with http://www.apple.com/support
Panther claims even broader support for all printers, including older models.

MacRAND, that is what I thought. But nope. I did a clean install, but now the old drivers won't install. The new ones won't work either. I sent an email off to Lexmark and got this in response:

Thank you for contacting Lexmark. Regarding this issue with the printer, I
would like to tell you that this printer is out of production. So Apple
must try to make compatible drivers for z12.

I can always throw it away. It only cost like $29 bucks. I'm just kind of miffed that it won't work under panther. Now after the clean install (when printing) the print center tries to load generic drivers until it just gives up.

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
Print_Aid

How To Deal With Common OS X 10.3 Panther Problems
http://www.macattorney.com/panther.html

Solving Printer Problems:

1. OPEN Printer Setup Utility
2. Double CLICK on your Printer if it is setup, if not - ADD
3. If jobs are stopped, CLICK Start Jobs
4. If none of this works, DELETE jobs - try again. If this fails --
5. DELETE printers, and ADD One printer back at a time. (some printers affect others)
6. LOOK at the Apple Discussion Forums listed at the end of this message
7. CALL AppleCare :(
8. CRY a lot

I found an 8k Script (popular) that apparently puts some files in Panther that existed in Jaguar, which may work for HP and Lexmark printers.

Print_Aid --
http://www.allosx.com/1067395661/index_html

It helps some people, and does nothing for others. I loaded it on my Mac and it solved a problem I did not have, having no effect on the problems I did have.

Apparently, running Repair Permissions after installing Panther (usually an excellent idea) causes a couple of files to disappear or messes them up?; the Print_Aid script puts them back. It's worth a try, but no guarantee.

I solved my problem by NOT installing DYMO LabelWriter printers until DYMO fixes the Panther problem - due by Nov 30th.

My Xerox/ Tektronix 850DP, Canon i70, and Epson 900 work great. Had thought Apple dropped "duplexing" in the printer menu, NO - Duplex has just been moved to Layout and, again, it works great!

Here are some official APPLE pages that may help people with Panther / Printer problems.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?13@21.YlqVaxsajc7.0@.599b318e

http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@6.B9T4ao3yjxz.0@.599b236d

If someone knows where to download original Print_Aid - please post.
(FOUND Print_Aid download site, thanks to MacAttorney Randy Singer, see above link)

Ah, one more glitch - APPLE provides Stuffit 7 with PANTHER, which will NOT open current version - Stuffit 8 files, and
7 can NOT open download of Stuffit 8 standard as an .sit file, so be sure to ONLY download the .dmg version in STEP 3!
(.sit file is the default, so you have to check .dmg)
http://www.stuffit.com/cgi-bin/stuffit/stuffit_loginpage.cgi?standardmacexp

BUY Stuffit Deluxe 8 now and get 40% discount, including on upgrade.
Select your product, then at time of Purchase, enter the SECRET --
Promotional Code: PT703
:p Aladdin has so much traffic because Panther installs version 7 and removes 8, so they are giving this extra 40% off to attract quick sales from the traffic on their site from Panther people.

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
Extensive solutions to OS 10.3 Panther & Printing problems

How To Deal With Common OS X 10.3 Panther Problems
http://www.macattorney.com/panther.html

Print_Aid --
http://www.allosx.com/1067395661/index_html

Own Stuffit Deluxe 6.5 or 7?
Want to save 40% off upgrade to version 8? or even on a new product :confused:

Apple's screwup with PANTHER installing retro Stuffit "7" brings http://www.Aladdin.com heavy traffic.
• Panther installs version 7 and removes 8 :mad:, so
• Aladdin is giving us an extra 40% off ALL PRODUCTS to garner quick sales from the traffic on their site, like from angry :( Panther people. Customer Service tells you about it, or you might stumble across the code in "Support".

BUY Stuffit Deluxe 8 now and get 40% discount in everything Aladdin.
UPGRADE for 6.5 or 7? ...have your old Registration Code ready.
http://www.aladdinsys.com/store/upgrades.html
Select your product, then at time of Purchase, enter the SECRET --
Promotional Code: PT703
You save another 40% for a limited time. :cool:

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
Thanks for the Print Aid suggestion. However, that didn't work. I still get this messages: "Generic Class: waiting for device".

User X

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by iEric

Thanks, that did the trick.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
Re: HP 2100 has ground to a halt with 10.3

Originally posted by law guy
Perhaps I need to inquire what folks are having success with on one of the other threads.

I just upgraded one of my clients to Panther across the board. I did have major issues with a Laserjet 1200 and OSX (Jag included) but I just swapped hers for a 1300 and she is working fine via USB.

I do have a 2200 working great in 10.3, but it is via ethernet. I have seen the ethernet setup is was more certain and easy.

On the 1200 I mainly had trouble in classic. Are you having trouble in native X?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.