Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steelphantom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
Last year, I declined to renew my web hosting contract, and additionally, my domain name. Of course, it was quickly gobbled up by one of those squatting sites that just has a bunch of links on it. It says the registrant is "Portfolio Brains, LLC" and that the domain name expires in June of this year. Will they renew the domain, and keep it even longer, or will I be able to re-register it in June? It's not a valuable domain name at all; it's just my name. I'm hopeful I'll be able to get the domain name back in a few months.

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
England
A similar thing happened to my friend.

I believe he was able to get it back by emailing the people who took the domain.

I don't know if it'll work, but it's worth a try.

khosna

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2008
I wouldn't email the current registrar then they will know you want it. On the off-chance that they won't renew I would wait to see if it becomes available. If not, you will have to negotiate the purchase. I lost a domain to these b@#@$ds once and I will never let it happen again.

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
England
Maybe, but if you tell them you're interested in it there's a much higher chance they will.
True. I was worried about that. If you email them, they might give a fair rate, but then they might keep it for longer.

Just wait for it to go, and hope they don't take it again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.