PDA

View Full Version : What have you rented on ATV and what did you think?

Chuck
Feb 16, 2008, 06:37 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

my first rental was 'Next' in SD (didn't think much of it) and then tonight we rented 'Mr Brooks' in HD, which was a bit gruesome but it kept you on the edge of your seat. We should have waited longer after it said 'your movie is ready to commence' because it caught up to the download about 6 times after that.

So what have you rented and what did you think?

Tennesotans
Feb 16, 2008, 08:08 AM
We rented "Waitress" in SD -- looks like a DVD on our 46" LCD. Started watching about 2 minutes after clicking "OK". "Waitress" was a 3 stars out of 5 :)

Looking forward to our first HD download -- keep adding content Apple!!!

Rented "The Cooler" (SD) -- felt just like a DVD. 3.5 out of 5, definitely an R rating.

MacBoobsPro
Feb 16, 2008, 08:12 AM
Hills have eyes 2 in HD. Good quality. Crap film.

Feb 16, 2008, 08:41 AM
Hills have eyes 2 in HD. Good quality. Crap film.

Indeed. I saw nearly 250 movies the year it came out, and though I have only walked out of a couple other films, this and "Wolf Creek" I came very close to leaving.

It's a bad sign when a group of TEENAGERS gets up and leaves a free screening saying, "Let's go; this is sick."

mechamac
Feb 16, 2008, 08:55 AM
Rented my first and only movie last night: Dragonslayer in HD. To my surprise the Apple TV told me I could start watching about a minute or two after the movie began downloading. The movie took more than an hour to finish downloading (wasn't keeping track too thoroughly) but there were zero hitches in playback.

Picture and sound quality were great, though I only have a 23" 720p TV and my audio comes from the 2 built-in speakers. Picture quality was much better than I expected for a film from 1981 that hasn't had a digital restoration I'm aware of. There are some landscape shots in that flick that looked terrific in HD. Color, sharpness, detail...all better than upconverted DVDs or other iTunes movie purchases.

I don't have cable TV or a HD disc player (and won't be buying either for the foreseeable future) so I'm very happy AppleTV rentals appear to be so trouble-free. This certainly won't be my last rental!

coldmember
Feb 16, 2008, 09:36 AM
I downloaded Priates of the C: At World's End in HD a few nights ago and finally had time to watch it last night.

It took about 3 hours to get to the 50% mark, when I stopped tracking it, so I assume it will take 6 hours to download a nearly 3 hour movie.

Anyway, I wasn't overly impressed with the video quality. I could see some graininess and my gf even asked if there was something wrong with the picture saying that it didn't look "clear" enough.

I suppose that Blu-Ray and HD-DVD has spoiled us somewhat.

The convenience is nice, but my Netflix account won't be cancelled anytime soon.

tothelimit
Feb 16, 2008, 09:39 AM
My girlfriend and I rented "I now pronounce you Chuck & Larry" [HD] the other night. Great picture quality on our 61" panasonic. We saw the movie in the theater... but it was still pretty funny the second time around.

sandman42
Feb 16, 2008, 11:47 AM
I've rented 4 films so far, all SD and they looked great. Couldn't tell the difference from DVD quality on my 32" 720p LCD. Each one was ready to play within a minute or two from renting, and no interruptions or re-buffering. Having become fairly regular movie renters, we couldn't be happier with this service.

billabong
Feb 16, 2008, 12:03 PM
Rented "The Brave One" in HD

Great film, great quality I was very happy with the experience. Goodbye video store...

spicoli
Feb 16, 2008, 12:06 PM
Rented Sunshine (SD was only option) and it looked as good as (maybe better?) than DVD on our Panny 50" 1080p plasma. We also rented Next in HD. Awesome! I don't have a BD or HD DVD player as I am waiting for the technology to mature a little so I can't compare, but the HD download is definitely better than DVD and Dishnetwork HD.

Much Ado
Feb 16, 2008, 12:14 PM
I suppose that Blu-Ray and HD-DVD has spoiled us somewhat.

There's your answer ;)

kbunch
Feb 16, 2008, 12:21 PM
I have rented 300 HD. Crap movie, IMHO but the quality was nice. It only took about 2 min to buffer enough to play on my 7 MB cable connection. Good bye movie store and I also will not be buying a Blu-ray player now until they are below the $100 mark. Thank you Apple!

We were at Target last night and my wife said "no more DVDs, thats so old fashioned... we can just rent it on AppleTV"...... This was great to hear since I had to convince her we should get one. You can't beat the convienance.

temtexdent
Feb 16, 2008, 10:09 PM
I rented a movie for my kids this evening. Was going to do an HD title but they vetoed the kid movies available (I hope the selection improves quickly) and they noticed the Aristocats at the bottom of the screen as one that similiar people liked (I think we were in the Preview screen of Ratatoulle or however you spell it), so we chose that. It looked fine...nothing great, but about what I would have expected from a non-HD movie. It was easy, quick, the movie began within seconds and was easy to navigate. I'll rent again, for convenience, if nothing else. Hopefully, I can try out an HD movie soon, but I didn't feel like manipulating my kids to test out the Apple TV.

We are Netflix folks and I am not sure how that will play out in the future. Apple will have to really increase the content and perhaps the watching time (from when we begin the movie) for it to eradicate Netflix completely.

pilotError
Feb 16, 2008, 10:21 PM
Simpsons in HD.

Pretty positive experience so far. Looked great, no studdering, stereo kicked in the 5.1 surround.

Only the first movie so far, but It was ready to start in about a minute or two. I let it buffer up about 10% before I started it (less than 5 minutes).

After I finished watching it, it said I had 22 hours left on the rental, so I didn't see the 12 hour issue that others are reporting.

I'll have to check it again tomorrow.

aross99
Feb 16, 2008, 11:00 PM
Fantastic 4: The Silver Surfer in HD.

Quality is better than DVD, but not quite up to Broadcast HD...

thestaton
Feb 16, 2008, 11:20 PM
Evan Almighty. -- Decent Movie. Looked great, audio was decent.

gcmexico
Feb 16, 2008, 11:38 PM
Rented 300, looked awesome...about to see Sum of All Fears...I love the AppleTV, it's so seamless:)

g808
Feb 16, 2008, 11:48 PM
First movie was 'The Whole Nine Yards' in HD. Started watching in a minute after purchase. Picture quality was good considering it's an old flick.

We then rented 'Next' in HD. Horrible ending. We were shouting 'boo' at the TV. Again started watching in about a minute after purchasing. Picture quality was very good.

Side note I love the latest version of VisualHub as I can watch my movies in 5.1 sound on the Apple TV. Watching 'Serenity' on it as I type this.

APPLENEWBIE
Feb 17, 2008, 12:12 AM
Both were SD. To my eye, both looked like DVD quality. I had them fully downloaded before I started, so no issue with stuttering, etc. Sound was good.

In contrast to the fellow above who thought The Brave One was a good film... I thought it was interminable. And I even like Jodie Foster!

I think I am going to be using this rental service a lot, based on first impressions. I hope that Apple keeps adding films regularly. Selection seems a bit skimpy for now.

richpjr
Feb 17, 2008, 12:16 AM
We were at Target last night and my wife said "no more DVDs, thats so old fashioned... we can just rent it on AppleTV"...... This was great to hear since I had to convince her we should get one. You can't beat the convienance.

For renting movies, it's great. But if you want to watch them multiple times than you are still stuck getting the DVD (and maybe ripping it if you don't want to juggle discs).

truehoosier
Feb 17, 2008, 01:17 AM
I rented Transformers in HD. I watched it on my Pioneer Elite 950. I donít own a Blu-Ray player and have only seen them in stores. I saw some graininess, but still the picture and sound were amazing. Besides isnít it a compressed file? Anyway, I love renting movies from my couch. Way to go Apple! I definitely wonít be buying a Blu-Ray anytime soon.

student101
Feb 17, 2008, 01:25 AM
I rented Fantastic Four Rise of Silver Surfer in HD. Movie wasn't all that great, but I was truly impressed by the quality of the HD presentation, even during the fast-action sequences it looked great.

Chuck
Feb 17, 2008, 02:11 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

It's fantastic getting everyone else's first renting experiences, both in technical and moviemaking quality.

Like another poster above, I had a hard time convincing my wife to get it, and then yesterday overheard her raving about it to her friend in the phone about how it was 'the way of the future etc'... Gotta love that :)

I've just downloaded The Simpsons Movie in SD, because I was thinking that HD for an animation like this wouldn't improve the picture much at all... Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Chuck

lord patton
Feb 17, 2008, 08:14 AM
The wife and I watched the heartbreak kid last night. Just got the Apple TV, and just got a 37" Toshiba LCD. It was our first HD experience, more or less, and it looked great.

I hope the selection improves quickly

wholeheartedly agree.

MBHockey
Feb 17, 2008, 08:22 AM
Haven't got an Apple TV, but I rented Master and Commander ($2.99) for my Amtrak trip tomorrow from new york to DC and will watch it on my MacBook Pro. The download flew!

dukeblue91
Feb 17, 2008, 09:17 AM
I rented Underdog SD for my son and me, the quality was very good no skipping or buffering problems.

pilotError
Feb 17, 2008, 09:50 AM
Simpsons in HD.

Pretty positive experience so far. Looked great, no studdering, stereo kicked in the 5.1 surround.

Only the first movie so far, but It was ready to start in about a minute or two. I let it buffer up about 10% before I started it (less than 5 minutes).

After I finished watching it, it said I had 22 hours left on the rental, so I didn't see the 12 hour issue that others are reporting.

I'll have to check it again tomorrow.

Just a Follow up. The kids watched it a second time. Still 10 hours to go and no issues so far...

ctakim
Feb 17, 2008, 11:55 AM
I think we need some more info on what folks references are for comparison. Sounds like compared to standard upconverted DVDs this is a step up for Apple TV HD, but not quite at the level of HD DVD or now only Blu-ray. Same is probably true for sound as we can get Dolby Digital but not Dolby Digital Plus.

Can folks please state what they are comparing the picture quality to when they give their judgements? :)

TIA

cohibadad
Feb 17, 2008, 12:17 PM
Fantastic Four Silver Surfer HD. Picture quality was excellent as was 5.1 audio. The new fast forward is so much better than before on :apple:TV.

slate1
Feb 17, 2008, 12:50 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) Alltel HTC Touch)

I think we need some more info on what folks references are for comparison. Sounds like compared to standard upconverted DVDs this is a step up for Apple TV HD, but not quite at the level of HD DVD or now only Blu-ray. Same is probably true for sound as we can get Dolby Digital but not Dolby Digital Plus.

Can folks please state what they are comparing the picture quality to when they give their judgements? :)

TIA

You are dead on. My experience is: better than standard dvd, not as good as Blu-ray. However, ANYONE expecting an on demand digital deliverable to compete with an essentialy uncompressed media has unrealistic expectations. In my opinion Apple has hit a home run with the AppleTV.

sandman42
Feb 17, 2008, 07:17 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) Alltel HTC Touch)

You are dead on. My experience is: better than standard dvd, not as good as Blu-ray. However, ANYONE expecting an on demand digital deliverable to compete with an essentialy uncompressed media has unrealistic expectations. In my opinion Apple has hit a home run with the AppleTV.

I completely agree, but remember that DVDs (both SD and HD/BR) are not 'uncompressed'. SD is MPEG2, and I think HD-DVD is H.264 (I don't know what Blu-Ray is). You're essentially right though, as I'm sure they're less compressed than what the :apple:TV delivers. Regardless, I loved my :apple:TV before the upgrade, and it's even better now!

Little Newton
Feb 17, 2008, 07:29 PM
I rented Wrath of Khan in HD tool about 90 seconds on a 10mb cable connection and watched with no hitches. Not best choice for a HD because of teh age of the movie...Shatner looked old and his hair fake...think he looked that way when I saw it in the theatre

temtexdent
Feb 17, 2008, 08:28 PM
Nothing like HD to bring out details which may have been better left unseen...

I rented Wrath of Khan in HD tool about 90 seconds on a 10mb cable connection and watched with no hitches. Not best choice for a HD because of teh age of the movie...Shatner looked old and his hair fake...think he looked that way when I saw it in the theatre

jeremy.king
Feb 17, 2008, 08:45 PM
Rented two HD movies this weekend. Fantastic 4 - Silver Surfer and Live Free and Die Hard. Both movies looked awesome on my 40" Samsung! Process was simple and can be dangerous for us in the future as it's very easy to spend money :)

minik
Feb 17, 2008, 09:26 PM
I rented Live Free or Die Hard HD last night on Apple TV since NetFlix refused to send the Blu-ray edition to me.. so far so good.

MACsimus19
Feb 17, 2008, 09:33 PM
Rented "The Brave One" in HD

Great film, great quality I was very happy with the experience. Goodbye video store...

+1, My fiance and I really enjoyed the film, quality was great for the most part, seemingly less artifacts than HD cable and started up in about 2 mins after clicking on it.

A very positive experience on my 1080p panny plasma. Probably still prefer blu-ray but a really fantastic option.

jaw04005
Feb 17, 2008, 10:35 PM
• Rented 300 to try the transfer from iPhone to Apple TV. Well, Apple TV took it upon itself to delete it after telling me I was not authorized to playback the file. The rental synced perfectly fine from my iPhone to iTunes, then to Apple TV. :mad:

• Rented "The Brave One" in HD. Flawless. Great picture and sound quality. Good movie. :)

•*Rented "Chuck & Larry" in HD also. Again, flawless with great picture and sound quality. :)

The only downside is that Apple TV rentals are expensive compared to a subscription plan like Netflix. So, although it was neat—I will probably stick to Netflix for now.

I have a PS3 and Samsung 32" 720p HDTV. To be honest, I couldn't tell the difference between the rental on my Apple TV and Fantastic Four 2 on Blu-ray I received from Netflix. Obviously, I could be more accurate if I was comparing two movies that were the same, but both were quality experiences.

slate1
Feb 17, 2008, 10:56 PM
I completely agree, but remember that DVDs (both SD and HD/BR) are not 'uncompressed'. SD is MPEG2, and I think HD-DVD is H.264 (I don't know what Blu-Ray is). You're essentially right though, as I'm sure they're less compressed than what the :apple:TV delivers. Regardless, I loved my :apple:TV before the upgrade, and it's even better now!

You're right, of course, and I should have been clear that I was speaking purely of Blu-ray. With its 50GB capacity on a dual layer disc and TDK's development of an 8-layer 200GB disc we're really talking a virtually uncompressed audio and video media.

This makes it all the more insane in my mind that we're even speaking in the realm of AppleTV (or any other media delivered via current internet parameters) -vs- Blu-ray. The naysayers arguing that AppleTV is useless due to its inability to provide the same quality as Blu-ray discs clearly aren't "getting it".

Those individuals (say... 99% of us!) who were happy enough with DVD quality will be thrilled with AppleTV HD quality and the convenience is invaluable.

applehappy
Feb 18, 2008, 12:26 AM
Rented Live Free or Die Hard in HD and it was great. Very good picture quality on my 46" Sony LCD and the 5.1 was great.

Unfortunately the lack of Closed Captioning has my wife put off. COME ON WITH THE CC APPLE!!

sandman42
Feb 18, 2008, 07:43 AM
You're right, of course, and I should have been clear that I was speaking purely of Blu-ray. With its 50GB capacity on a dual layer disc and TDK's development of an 8-layer 200GB disc we're really talking a virtually uncompressed audio and video media.

This makes it all the more insane in my mind that we're even speaking in the realm of AppleTV (or any other media delivered via current internet parameters) -vs- Blu-ray. The naysayers arguing that AppleTV is useless due to its inability to provide the same quality as Blu-ray discs clearly aren't "getting it".

Those individuals (say... 99% of us!) who were happy enough with DVD quality will be thrilled with AppleTV HD quality and the convenience is invaluable.

What are the words I'm looking for? Oh, here they are: Totally Agree!! :D

As far as the 'not getting it' phenomenon is concerned, I think it has to do with people thinking that Apple products take on the big issues (e.g. the vast resolution capability of Blu-ray), when what Apple really does is iron out all the small ones, creating a wholly enhanced user experience. It's like people who say, "I don't see what's so special about it, the iPhone doesn't do anything new." It does a couple little things no other phone does, but it's really about how it puts all the functions together and works so smoothly and intuitively that makes it beautiful. iPod vs. MP3 players: same thing, and same thing about the :apple:TV. It may not be able to beat Blu-ray at what Blu-ray does best, but the :apple:TV does it at least adequately, and slickly puts together a bunch of other functions too. Maybe outstanding integration isn't important to everybody. I sure like it though!

PROJECT359
Feb 18, 2008, 08:10 AM
This weekend I rented Casshern (HD) and 28 Weeks Later (SD). Picture quality was excellent on both and enjoyed both movies. I'm loving the new rental option and looking forward to more movies in the future.

Duffinator
Feb 18, 2008, 09:15 AM
I downloaded the movie rental Next yesterday in HD and it took about 2.5 hours to download. It played fine and I was able to rew and ff just like a regular DVD. I was impressed with the functionality of the remote commands and liked the time line bar at the bottom. The DD soundtrack sounded terrific and seemed to have an output level matched to the HD and SD DVD's I watch in my HT. The video quality was good but not outstanding. I won't make a judgement on the quality of the 720P downloads yet as this movie may not be the best looking transfer and there are lots of variables in play. The movie Next did not look as good as many of the HD DVD movies I've watched but did look as good as many high quality SD DVD's I've watched.

I impressed upon my wife and relative that watched the movie with me that what we just did was take a step into the future of all media watched through a downloaded file over the internet via computer and that this is officially the beginning of the end of physical media. :D I'm not saying it's going to happen quickly but it will happen. :cool:

zedsdead
Feb 18, 2008, 09:18 AM
Tranformers HD - looks absoletly amazing. Almost as good as my HD DVD's (which are worthless now!):(

Brave One HD - Also looks amazing. I can live with the Apple TV HD quality vs optical media.

Spiderman SD - Looked to be DVD quality, but was disappointed that such a high profile movie was not in HD.

Ice Age SD - Without question DVD quality.

Simpsons SD (iTunes Version) - Also looks to be DVD quality now that Apple is using Anamorphic encodes.

I have been completely happy with the rentals. Just wish 5.1 was used with the SD as well, no reason not to.

Still would like to see HD on iTunes as well (for both purchase and rent) so that way we can move the files around a bit. It is ridiculous that they are held captive on the Apple TV for no reason. Sure the iPods can't play them, but the Macs can.

megfilmworks
Feb 18, 2008, 10:23 AM
Brave One and 2010 both in HD, Looks and sounds great. Download times approx. 90 mins. Warner Cable with AEBS.

gkarris
Feb 18, 2008, 10:47 AM
"Invasion" is SD - a much better movie than the reviews everywhere. Picture was fine. Will probably end up with a used copy of the DVD.

Downloading "Transformers" in HD - I have a slow 768k DSL line and I turn off my AppleTV when not used. Will probably finish downloading tonight and watch later in the week.

I just want to see what HD rentals look like. I will usually rent the SD and get the DVD used if I want to add it to my collection, or if I've already seen the movie, just get the DVD and if I really love it, get the high-def disc (Blu-ray now only, I guess).

alric
Feb 18, 2008, 10:57 AM
Watched Live Free or Die Hard HD and thought it was excellent picture quality. Rented Underdog SD and it was about DVD quality.

The best is renting HD movies that are not available in either HD-DVD or Blu-ray (or just Blu-ray soon). In this vein I look forward to watch Night Watch (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewMovie?id=270714543&s=143441) and Day Watch both in HD.

I use a 1080i 50" CRT and also own an HD-DVD player (Xbox).

NYCAVS
Feb 19, 2008, 12:12 PM
Saw "How to lose a guy in 10 days" in HD... started one evening and finished the following evening going past the 24 hour mark by the time finished (started about 23 hours post renting).

Picture quality fantastic (on my 50 in 1080 Pioneer Elite plasma) and sound as well (5:1). Was ready to view in what seemed like 10 seconds after selecting (20 MBs connection)! One minor stutter in first minute but then perfect.

Please more HD movie choices!!!!

anonmill
Feb 19, 2008, 01:40 PM
Rented "The Core" in HD over the weekend. Said I could watch it after 1 minute 18 seconds of downloading (8 mbps Comcast connection), but I didn't start watching for about an hour (putting the kiddies to bed). Never had playback issues. Movie was lame but somewhat enjoyable because I went into it knowing it was very weak so I didn't expect much and let A LOT slide in the story. Anyway, getting back to the AppleTV experience though, visual quality was very good, better than my upconverting DVD on a 32" screen. I will definitely rent again.

toddngina
Feb 19, 2008, 01:58 PM
I use a 1080i 50" CRT and also own an HD-DVD player (Xbox).

:eek: 50" CRT! I have a 36", and it weighs 240 lbs. Couldn't even imagine how much that monster would weigh! I didn't even know such a beast existed!

RumMunkey
Feb 20, 2008, 08:50 AM
Rented "Heartbreak Kid (http://www.heartbreakkidmovie.com/)" (HD) last weekend as our first.

I actually rented it the night before so I knew it would be downloaded fully. It played back with no problems.

The picture was highly impressive. As good or better than my crappy compressed Bell Expressvu HD.

The film wasn't great. It's OK for a brain-dead, zone out for 97 minutes kind of thing, but nothing to write home about.

We'll be renting more for sure.

jmccray
Feb 20, 2008, 09:09 AM
I saw the Brave One, but the sound kept goin in and out. Anyone else had this problem?

mrrory
Feb 20, 2008, 09:14 AM
Quality was excellent, but I was disappointed that it was not in surround sound... I wish there was some indication of the sound format before renting. :(

Edit: Other than that, it really was an excellent experience and was ready to play in less that 2 minutes.

megfilmworks
Feb 20, 2008, 09:30 AM
Michael Clayton was available last night in HD. Downloaded in less than 90 minutes, ready to play in less than 1 minute. Great quality. My third HD rental and all I can say is goodbye to the increasingly slow Netflix and Blockbuster.
I do wish they would extend the window to 48 or 72 hours though.

Fergster
Feb 20, 2008, 09:44 AM
First thing I rented Day Watch (wasn't too impressed with the film but the quality was great) but took ages to get round to watching.

The other evening I used the rental option in probably the way I'll most likely use it i.e. there was nothing on TV and I really couldn't be bothered leafing through my DVD collection trying to find something I hadn't yet watched. Instead I stayed on the couch, surfed through the selection of films(admitedly still not huge) and opted for Across 110th Street which I watched there and then.

Ferg

Divindude
Feb 20, 2008, 09:46 AM
Rented 2 HD movies, the first one took 90 mins before I could start watching it (and it stopped playing about an hour into it because it was still downloading), the second one took 2 hours before I could start watching it (I let this one download overnight). I have a 5m internet service so I'm a bit surprised at the download time. I must say, this slow download time takes away the ability to decide and watch a movie in a short period of time.

megfilmworks
Feb 20, 2008, 12:26 PM
Rented 2 HD movies, the first one took 90 mins before I could start watching it (and it stopped playing about an hour into it because it was still downloading), the second one took 2 hours before I could start watching it (I let this one download overnight). I have a 5m internet service so I'm a bit surprised at the download time. I must say, this slow download time takes away the ability to decide and watch a movie in a short period of time.You must have another problem.
I have downloaded 3 HD movies with Time Warner plain vanilla Cable line and an Apple AEBS. Less than 100 minutes for all three titles and available to rent within one minute of starting the download.

You may have interference (stereo, AV equip, etc.) slowing up your downloads.
If you are on a wifi network, try plugging in directly to eliminate your wireless network's possible issues.

mhall
Feb 21, 2008, 06:10 AM
I have a similar problem to Divindude. I rented Superbad in HD and it took well over 3 hours before it was watchable.
I must say I was pretty disappointed, I have an 8mb line (in reality it tends to run at about 5mb) & my AppleTV is connected by an ethernet cable directly to my router.
I just assumed it was Apple's servers. It takes away the immediacy of it all for me Ė I canít just sit down, decide to rent a movie and watch it right away. This, coupled with the poor performance of navigating through my own synched media makes the Take 2 update a major disappointment as far as I am concerned.:(

pedz
Feb 21, 2008, 01:03 PM
Rented:
Bloody Sunday in HD (excellent movie)
The Hoax in SD (funny)
28 Weeks Later in SD (good movie)

All three were ready to watch within 30 - 90 seconds, including the HD movie, and had no skipping or other problems.
Video quality was very good on all and the HD title looks great.

I have a 60" Pioneer Elite plasma, TIVO Series 3, and a HD-DVD Player (got it pretty cheap luckily :(

HD Movie did not look as good as HD-DVD, but it doesn't really matter to me. As long as it looks very sharp and clear then I am happy, and Apples HD title definitely met those requirements. I know HD-DVD and Blu-Ray will look better but I don't really need it.

Sound was very good and I can guarantee I will not be able to tell the difference between DD in an Apple HD rental and any superior format on a Blu-Ray, so again I am happy with the sound.

Assuming Apple builds up the selection I imagine myself with the following eventually:
- Apple TV for most movie rentals
- Netflix-1 at a time plan for the more obscure stuff (down from my current 3 at a time plan and maybe one day getting rid of it)
- Blu-Ray player to purchase my favorites (i will only do this when they hit about $150 or less, that day will come, and when there is software that allows me to rip them to 720p for the apple tv.)

megfilmworks
Feb 21, 2008, 01:21 PM
I have a similar problem to Divindude. I rented Superbad in HD and it took well over 3 hours before it was watchable.
I must say I was pretty disappointed, I have an 8mb line (in reality it tends to run at about 5mb) & my AppleTV is connected by an ethernet cable directly to my router.
I just assumed it was Apple's servers. It takes away the immediacy of it all for me – I can’t just sit down, decide to rent a movie and watch it right away. This, coupled with the poor performance of navigating through my own synched media makes the Take 2 update a major disappointment as far as I am concerned.:(
I wouldn't make assumptions so quickly.
I think the least likely reason would be the Take 2 software followed by Apple's servers.
Most likely you have problems with your internet connections or configurations.
You should be able to download a HD copy in about 90-100 minutes, viewable within one minute (2-3 outside)

uva25
Feb 21, 2008, 01:28 PM
Rented:
Bloody Sunday in HD (excellent movie)
The Hoax in SD (funny)
28 Weeks Later in SD (good movie)

All three were ready to watch within 30 - 90 seconds, including the HD movie, and had no skipping or other problems.
Video quality was very good on all and the HD title looks great.

I have a 60" Pioneer Elite plasma, TIVO Series 3, and a HD-DVD Player (got it pretty cheap luckily :(

HD Movie did not look as good as HD-DVD, but it doesn't really matter to me. As long as it looks very sharp and clear then I am happy, and Apples HD title definitely met those requirements. I know HD-DVD and Blu-Ray will look better but I don't really need it.

Sound was very good and I can guarantee I will not be able to tell the difference between DD in an Apple HD rental and any superior format on a Blu-Ray, so again I am happy with the sound.

Assuming Apple builds up the selection I imagine myself with the following eventually:
- Apple TV for most movie rentals
- Netflix-1 at a time plan for the more obscure stuff (down from my current 3 at a time plan and maybe one day getting rid of it)
- Blu-Ray player to purchase my favorites (i will only do this when they hit about $150 or less, that day will come, and when there is software that allows me to rip them to 720p for the apple tv.)

I have a similar set up and agree with your comments. I only question the $150 outlay for a Blu-Ray considering you will just rip them anyway?

pedz
Feb 21, 2008, 02:02 PM
Fair point on the Blu-Ray player, I will need a Blu-Ray drive for the computer. When the day comes where this is possible maybe i will just go for the computer drive and skip the dedicated player, though I would be a bit worried about buying the disks and having nothing that actually plays them on a tv.

mhall
Feb 22, 2008, 03:22 AM
I wouldn't make assumptions so quickly.
I think the least likely reason would be the Take 2 software followed by Apple's servers.
Most likely you have problems with your internet connections or configurations.
You should be able to download a HD copy in about 90-100 minutes, viewable within one minute (2-3 outside)

The reason I am making that assumption is that everything else that uses my internet connection runs at about 5mbs. I don't have any problems with the way my internet is configured, just my AppleTV. I am fairly competant when it comes to things of that nature, it's my job.

APPLENEWBIE
Feb 22, 2008, 10:46 PM
Just viewed The Italian Job after downloading it a few days ago. (Maybe the best boat chase scenes since Live and Let Die, although much briefer) I think it looks great, definitely better than DVD. Surround sound was perfect. No pixelation, dropouts or anything like that. I am impressed with this system of rentals.:)

un1ty
Feb 23, 2008, 05:14 PM
I rented "Breakfast at Tiffany's" in SD which was a great movie and the quality was very good as well.

Then rented Live Free or Die Hard in HD which had astonishing quality on my 42" Vizio.

Also rented Michael Clayton, and No Reservations in HD. They both looked amazing. I'm going to downgrade my Netflix and just rent from AppleTV. It's so convenient and the instant gratification makes all the difference.

secondcup
Feb 23, 2008, 10:30 PM
My first rental was "Abandoned" starring Katie Holmes. (Better than average mystery). I rented the HD version. Being my first rental, I didn't know what to expect in terms of download time. I'm on the base level of Verizon Fios (5mbps down). I believe the movie was ready to watch after about 1/2 hour.

megfilmworks
Feb 23, 2008, 11:22 PM
Michael Clayton, Jesse James, Valley of Elah, Evan Almighty, The Brave One, 2010 and Abandon.
All were HD and all the downloads (on standard cable broadband) took between 90-100 mins each and all were ready to play within 1-2 mins.
Great picture and 5.1 Dolby.
No macro blocking and they compared very favorably
to the bluray (or HD DVD) discs.
I may not renew my Netflix this month.