Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
It seems not many people have heard of this game and to be honest, I wasn't very interested in it either but it turns out Professor Layton is actually quite a good game.

The premise is pretty simple, Professor Layton is a bunch of brain teasers and puzzles (things like move a match to creature 4 squares instead of 5, the usual "truth-liar" logic problems, etc, etc) wrapped around an intriguing and well presented point and click adventure.

But this game is great, puzzles are very fun to solve and well presented (for the most part they are easy to understand but some are pretty tough to solve), the art style is excellent (and a nice departure from the common anime style everyone is using) and the music is fitting as well, the storyline is presented by dialogs between Layton and his apprentice Luke and the characters that habit St. Mystere as different mysteries unfold, there are also some pretty high quality FMVs with decent animation and voice acting that really make Layton feel like a real adventure game and not just some puzzle collection.

Gameplay is pretty straightforward, you use your stylus to traverse around the village of St. Mystere, by "pixel-hunting" the areas you can find hidden coins (that are used to buy hints for puzzles you can't solve), hidden puzzles and of course talk to the people of St. Mystere themselves that will present you new puzzles and advance the storyline.

To spruce things up a little and give longetivity to the game, Professor Layton & The Curious Village also features Wi-fi downloadable puzzles, so far there is only one puzzle available for download but judging by the feature's name "Weekly Puzzle" it's safe to assume the developer is promising a new puzzle every week. Layton also has a puzzle index that lets you replay any puzzle you have solved in the storyline (pretty pointless but at least the option is there) and mark your favorites. There are also two blacked out options in the menu "Layton Challenges" and "Top Secret" which I haven't unlocked yet so I can't comment on them.

In the end, I would highly recommend this game, it's a well presented point and click adventure with a series of engaging puzzles to solve and because of the nature of this puzzles, Layton is a pretty accessible game for anyone.

So who else has picked this highly overlooked gem up?

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
definitely can recommend the game too (have been wasting at least 10 hours by now and i'm on the 6 from 8 journal pages so in the end it will clock about 13-14 hours for me

the professor with it's hat sure has caught my "video game character of the year" award so far (not that this game lacks any of quirky characters)

91 puzzles solved and still a blast

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
I saw this game described on pennyarcade and almost went out and got it. I didn't because I have too many games that are unfinished already (16 Wii + DS games). After this thread I might have to go get it, though. I need a 6 month hiatus from life so I can finish all the games I want (assuming no new ones come out, either).

wowser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Inglaterra, Europa
This game looks INSANELY GOOD! But a search for it on the UK Amazon website reveals NOTHING! Does anybody know if there are plans to release this in the UK?

bosxe

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2008
Chicago
As an employee I am allowed to rent games from my Gamestop; I checked this game out and it seemed fantastic. I might have to buy it!

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
This game looks INSANELY GOOD! But a search for it on the UK Amazon website reveals NOTHING! Does anybody know if there are plans to release this in the UK?

I'm sure there are, but the release date hasn't been confirmed - curses!!!

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007

I might pick this up when I finish Advance Wars (could be a while). Check out Ebay UK, it was pretty cheap there the last time I checked! Obviously I only buy DS games from UK sellers though...no Hong Kong pirated carts for me!

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
As an employee I am allowed to rent games from my Gamestop; I checked this game out and it seemed fantastic. I might have to buy it!

I used to work for GameStop and the truth is . . .
Employees can check new or used games out then return them in 3 days. Then GameStop sells the previously new games (but are now pre played / used) as new even though employees have taken them home, played them and brought them back.

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
I ordered it on Amazon a few days ago (USA). It will be here tomorrow. On the US Amazon site, it was hyped a bit, and there was also an article about it in the lastest Nintendo Power magazine. OP, thanks for your thoughts, I'm sure I'll be pleased with it. :)

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I used to work for GameStop and the truth is . . .
Employees can check new or used games out then return them in 3 days. Then GameStop sells the previously new games (but are now pre played / used) as new even though employees have taken them home, played them and brought them back.

Yup a friend of a friend works there and he does the same thing.

plumpan

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
will pick this up for sure! love the art style, and i am a huge fan of logic puzzles, mystery, and adventure.

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
I finally bought it. WEIRD is my impression. :)

<]=)

LOL. I have to agree, it is strange indeed. I'm enjoying it though. Some of the puzzles are similar to those I've done before, so that was disappointing. I thought they hired some genius to devise them, and assumed this meant they would all be fresh and unique. But aside from that, I'm enjoying it. The dialogue gets a bit long winded, but fortunately you can rush through it.

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
Playing the game makes me feel like I'm attending elementary school. :eek: But I like it. :eek:

<]=)

Exactly! Like having to sit still while the teacher gives all the instructions before beginning the test. And yet, I like it too. I guess genius puzzle boy knew what he was doing afterall.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
Some puzzles I like, others like the following, I don't deem as a puzzle. :)

Like this one:

The puzzle that asks; "What's the last letter of the alphabet?"

The answer is "T," which I got without a problem, but this is flawed. The way they ask their question, "alphabet" is defined as an object, that's clear by the use of the preposition "the." By using that preposition, the object alphabet has a definition. They didn't refer to it as a string.

They didn't ask "What's the last letter of alphabet?," or "What's the last letter of the word alphabet?," or even "What's the last letter of the 'alphabet'?."

Anyways, this puzzle wasn't clever and it wasn't even misleading. If they wanted it to work, they needed to setup new rules prior to the question, not their little hint afterwards. They had already defined the rules with the statement about B coming after A. They clearly are referring to alphabet as an object and to its meaning. So why they thought it was clever to abandon those rules and simply ignore syntax, is beyond me. =o

Their hint should have been alphabet is a string. =P

OK, I'm done ranting at something this silly. And there's probably some anal rule I'm missing.

<]=)

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
I recently mailed NOE regarding the release of this, and got......nothing. I liked the look of it, when it was previewed in ONM, and the reviews I've read of it online have all been very positive. Very tempted to import it; it's £16 from http://www.movietyme.com, cheaper than if NOE released it. I might import it, just to make sure they don't see my hard earned money :)

Does anyone know, will I still be able to download the additional puzzles?

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
I definitely like this game, but I've noticed something odd. While I enjoy getting and completing new puzzles, the fact that everyone is always throwing puzzles at me randomly, or before they will help me, has made me start to hate the villagers. I want to do the puzzles, but I hate the people giving them to me.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
Same here, they're nothing but stoppers preventing me from getting to the puzzles. I don't even really read what they say now, just click, click, click, then hope for a puzzle. :)

Have you played games like Monkey Island? If not, you should look into it and all other Lucas Arts' graphic adventures. They have some really silly puzzle solving, that can be hard, but the characters, story, and music, are what really make the games great.

<]=)

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Hmm, no, haven't played it. Thanks for the tip, I'll look for it the next time I'm at the store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.