Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peterj1967

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2002
Anybody try running Disk Warrior under Panther?

I have tried twice, and it can't repair the volume becuase of a Mac OS Services error?

Anybody else tried?

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
Bought dW with my 17" alumaBook in early October, only to read something on Alsoft's site:

"Please note that the current version of the DiskWarrior CD cannot be used to start up PowerMac G5 machines, PowerBook models updated September 2003, eMacs updated October 2003, or the iBook G4."

Until they get around to upgrading it (I'm still using Jaguar, BTW), use Disk Utility in the osX Utilities folder.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
I get the same thing. I tried with and without journaling on the partition. In Jaguar it works fine with journaling turned on.

Presumably Alsoft should be aware of this and hopefully we'll see an update soon. For now, the CD is still bootable on all but the latest machines, and my 2-week-old PowerBook has a small Jaguar partition for DiskWarrior. People who start getting machines with Panther preinstalled (iBook G4, etc) won't be able to use DW at all until a fix is out, so hopefully it's soon!

pbooktebo

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2003
SF Bay Area
runs fine for graphing

I just graphed my drive in Panther, no problem.

Interestingly, I tried FileVault by installing on another user directory. I was running that user using Fast User Switching (but logged into my normal account), and Disk Warrior saw that user as a drive (which I was also able to graph, but not rebuild as it was in use). Interestingly, when I logged that user out, DW couldn't see the user anymore, so I guess there's a view of what FileVault is up to.

DW was also able to see, but not graph or rebuild, my iPod.

On Safari with a Panther, you find the most unexpected things!

pbooktebo

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2003
SF Bay Area
Hardware Test not working

For those interested, the DW Hardware test (that uses S.M.A.R.T. testing of hard drive) does not seem to be working.

TiBook 400Mhz with Panther here.

peterj1967

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2002
Looking at version tracker, DW does not seem to repair disks in Panther, or at least other people have the same issues I had.

I can graph disks, I can't repair them

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.