PDA

View Full Version : 3 Gifts Apple's Wise Men Should Bring To Ride Out The Reces...

MacBytes
Feb 16, 2008, 02:57 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: 3 Gifts Apple's Wise Men Should Bring To Ride Out The Recession (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080216155748)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

walnuts
Feb 16, 2008, 04:03 PM
1. Apple's whole thing is that they don't sell cheap stuff. That's part of who they are. Most Mac vs. PC debates that I have seen boil down to the windows guy saying, oh yeah, look at this, I could buy this crappy PC for half the price of a mac, so why bother? But, if you compare that to the cheapest macs, the mac has a lot of better specs that justify some of the additional cost (its true that you pay a bit of a premium for your choice in OS, but then hey, you won't have to pay $250 for your next OS upgrade.)

2. Apple's iPhone does so well because it distinguishes itself from other phones. In particular it is a stark contrast from the other phones that you can get for free but don't last for the two year contract you made to get the free phone. There was all that talk that apple wouldn't make it with a new product in an already established, overcrowded market. They certainly wouldn't have made it had they followed the current traditions. They should stick to their guns. (and here's hoping for more software improvements!)

3. A subscription service would be nice for some iTunes content. That is a good idea, but perhaps hard for Apple to pull off depending on what the movie labels want.

winmacguy
Feb 16, 2008, 04:28 PM
1. Apple's whole thing is that they don't sell cheap stuff. That's part of who they are. Most Mac vs. PC debates that I have seen boil down to the windows guy saying, oh yeah, look at this, I could buy this crappy PC for half the price of a mac, so why bother? But, if you compare that to the cheapest macs, the mac has a lot of better specs that justify some of the additional cost (its true that you pay a bit of a premium for your choice in OS, but then hey, you won't have to pay $250 for your next OS upgrade.)

2. Apple's iPhone does so well because it distinguishes itself from other phones. In particular it is a stark contrast from the other phones that you can get for free but don't last for the two year contract you made to get the free phone. There was all that talk that apple wouldn't make it with a new product in an already established, overcrowded market. They certainly wouldn't have made it had they followed the current traditions. They should stick to their guns. (and here's hoping for more software improvements!)

3. A subscription service would be nice for some iTunes content. That is a good idea, but perhaps hard for Apple to pull off depending on what the movie labels want.

I think it can be summed up like this:
The sum of the package of a Mac is greater than the sum of the parts when compared to a PC.

dirtyharry101
Feb 17, 2008, 12:10 AM
I like the idea of cheap macs.

CalBoy
Feb 17, 2008, 12:21 AM
I like the idea of cheap macs.

The old adage "you get what you pay for" comes to mind.

The article seemed to avoid the fact that Apple's market has historically been that which is not touched by recessions: the avant garde of every profession.

The iPhone points aren't really valid either, because the R&D to create a small yet useless phone seems to be counterproductive for a business model. Apple picks its markets carefully, and while the smart phone market is a precarious one, I think we can all agree that the iPhone brings something special to the table.

And, let's face it, who's going to stop buying iPods? Even in the worst of times, people want their tunes. :p :)

nagromme
Feb 17, 2008, 06:42 AM
I like the idea of Macs getting less expensive over time... which of course has always happened and always will. I'd like to see a sub-$500 Mac model again (we lost that with the Intel switch--in trade for a LOT of speed) and a sub-$1000 laptop again. Those will come with time I expect. (I know that students/educators pay under $1000 for a basic MacBook already.)

I don't especially want to see Apple scrape the bottom of the barrel, removing the iLife bundle, leaving out DVI/WiFi/Bluetooth/Firewire/whatever, using a slow old 32-bit single-core processor, or including a 7-year-old OS (or stripped-down version of a newer OS)--the kinds of cuts bottom-end PCs make. Nor do I want to see the cheap failure-prone components that made my eMachines PC such a poor decision. Even a $599 Mac Mini has optical audio I/O, DVI, Firewire, remote control and gigabit ethernet--and offers quiet, portability and small footprint that a big cheap tower doesn't.

(And Apple doesn't need to match the price of building your own computer, any more than Dell or HP or Sony does. Pre-built anything costs more than DIY.)

johnnyjibbs
Feb 17, 2008, 12:50 PM
OMG no no no! Almost everything in that article will spell doom for Apple - don't do it Steve!

Apple is about quality. If it floods the market with cheap, crappy macs, it will turn into a Dell.

Soba
Feb 18, 2008, 12:23 AM
I did a double take when I read the suggestion about a credit card-sized iPhone.

I don't know about anyone else, but I think the current iPhone is about as small as it can get without being cumbersome. Any smaller and I would have trouble holding it comfortably, and would certainly be more prone to dropping it. The iPhone could conceivably get smaller if it weren't actually used for making phone calls. :rolleyes:

zombitronic
Feb 18, 2008, 01:38 AM
I did a double take when I read the suggestion about a credit card-sized iPhone.

I don't know about anyone else, but I think the current iPhone is about as small as it can get without being cumbersome. Any smaller and I would have trouble holding it comfortably, and would certainly be more prone to dropping it. The iPhone could conceivably get smaller if it weren't actually used for making phone calls. :rolleyes:

The Nano is about that small, and from what I understand, it's selling very well. I don't think it will happen soon, but I do believe that we'll see different models of iPhones some day, just like iPods.

But more importantly, give me this...!
http://blog.wired.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/02/15/appletvcable.jpg
They could even get rid of the Component Video. HDMI is fine. And if they can fit a Blu-Ray drive in there somewhere, I'd pay a premium price.

tonyshucraft
Feb 18, 2008, 03:14 AM
The Nano is about that small, and from what I understand, it's selling very well. I don't think it will happen soon, but I do believe that we'll see different models of iPhones some day, just like iPods.

But more importantly, give me this...!
http://blog.wired.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/02/15/appletvcable.jpg
They could even get rid of the Component Video. HDMI is fine. And if they can fit a Blu-Ray drive in there somewhere, I'd pay a premium price.

yes but a touch screen is different than a click wheel. navigating may be an issue.

zombitronic
Feb 18, 2008, 09:48 AM
yes but a touch screen is different than a click wheel. navigating may be an issue.

I don't know, it seems like a touch screen is more versatile than a click wheel. I think that flicking through menus would be easy enough, even if you'd lose a few lines per screen. The lack of content that you could view at once on-screen with Safari would be the main issue to me, but with zooming it may not be that bad, if they would include Safari at all. It may be the type of thing that, although slightly compromised, it would be worth having it as opposed to excluding it. It seems that the smaller/thinner/cheaper evolution of the iPhone/Touch is only natural, as well as the larger/thicker/more expensive evolution (Mac Touch?). Just my opinion.

TravisReynolds
Mar 3, 2008, 08:42 PM
Those are all beautiful machines =]