Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Remove the MP3/harddrive stored audio thoughts from your head.

Which is more efficient on battery life, using the CD player or live streaming audio via the Airport?

I’m going to run some test later on this week, but I was wondering what others thought.

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
Re: Which is more efficient? Playing a CD or live streaming audio via the Airport?

Originally posted by Eniregnat
Which is more efficient on battery life, using the CD player or live streaming audio via the Airport?

i'd definately say CD. Airport is only battery intensive when its on and not joined a network as its permenantly searching. moving parts and lights are the things that use most battery.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Re: Re: Which is more efficient? Playing a CD or live streaming audio via the Airport?

Originally posted by mrjamin
i'd definately say CD. Airport is only battery intensive when its on and not joined a network as its permenantly searching. moving parts and lights are the things that use most battery.

i think you mean that the audio via airport is better on battery life. it only uses solid state components and if you have an AP-X machine, running in AP mode will help even more.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
yes airport would be much less draining on your battery than optical drive usage... magnetic motors can be very draining on any type of battery, and a typical optical drive might include 3 or more motors, two being used constantly...

pnw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.