O.A.R.
Spearhead
Yonder Mountain String Band
and others

Probably my top 5 right now

What about you?

Seekup39
Oct 27, 2003, 03:27 PM
wow i just saw spearhead on saturday and i have really gotten into them this week.
i also like:
robert randolph and the family band
Phish
Disco Biscuits

I saw OAR because my girlfriend made me go and wow i must say all their songs sound alike, if spearhead was not their i dont know what i would do. I must say i did like that one song called "anyway".

jon snow
Oct 27, 2003, 03:35 PM
I think o.a.r. sounds same because the singer has a distinctive voice. I haven't seen either. I came across Spearhead when I downloaded their set from Bonnaro this year. What a great set that is and would have been to see live. Last show I saw was Victor Wooten's band. Great show.

I am a Phish fan as well. They are playing 4 nights here in Florida and all sold out.

Seekup39
Oct 27, 2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by jon snow
I think o.a.r. sounds same because the singer has a distinctive voice. I haven't seen either. I came across Spearhead when I downloaded their set from Bonnaro this year. What a great set that is and would have been to see live. Last show I saw was Victor Wooten's band. Great show.

I am a Phish fan as well. They are playing 4 nights here in Florida and all sold out.

yah my friend is going to all four, making the trip from CT. i love bela fleck and the flecktones, if that is what u mean by victor wootens band, or has he started a new band?

jon snow
Oct 27, 2003, 06:17 PM
It was Victor Wooten's band. Bela Fleck and the Flecktones were here about a year ago. That was another great show. My son and I are going to try and scalp tickets to at least one of the phish shows. I was shocked at how fast they sold out. I tried the lottery first but no luck.

jbembe
Oct 28, 2003, 08:57 AM
I love jam bands, especially anything live Clapton. I was going to say Robert Johnson and the Family Band, but somebody beat me to it. The live one is simply awesome.

jon snow
Oct 28, 2003, 09:28 AM
I am going to check out Robert Johnson. Have you heard any Galactic or Greyboy Allstars?

jbembe
Oct 28, 2003, 09:31 AM
Crikes! I meant Robert RANDOLPH

Robert Johnson is great too, but he's classic blues and doesn't play with the family band.

I haven't heard of most of the folks you suggested. Do you have a list going with the best songs from these people?

By the way, the absolute BEST jam album that I have ever come across is "Derek and the Dominos Live At The Fillmore East."

Unfortunately the best three cuts "Why Does Love Have to Be So Sad" and "Got To Get Better In a Little While" and "Let It Rain" are album only. But you can get the idea.

jon snow
Oct 28, 2003, 09:46 AM
I listen to everything, usually on ipod, so really not pay attention to song names. You can find Galactic on itms. You can stream on nugs.net. Karl Denson is in Greyboy Allstars. I downloaded (legally) some of their music somewhere, maybe Further.

gendronaj6
Dec 6, 2005, 09:24 AM
If anyone is interested in following a new jam band that has some serious talent. Check out thebrew.biz, they are a young band from Amsbury, Mass. They have awesome talent and their shows are really an experience. I have seen them at all the festivals in Starks, Maine at Harry Brown's Farm. Props to anybody that has also been there. But check them out they are growing slowly, But I think there gonna be big sometime.

gendronaj6
Dec 6, 2005, 09:26 AM
I love jam bands, especially anything live Clapton. I was going to say Robert Johnson and the Family Band, but somebody beat me to it. The live one is simply awesome.
I saw them at Bowdoin College in Maine and that was a seriouisly rocking show, But his last name I Randolph.

gendronaj6
Dec 6, 2005, 09:27 AM

Hail Phish as the leaders and promoters of everything now musical haha.

gwuMACaddict
Dec 6, 2005, 09:37 AM
what makes a band a "jam band"?

don't all bands jam?

:confused:

rockthecasbah
May 18, 2006, 05:13 PM
jam band stuff is great. String Cheese Incident is awesome, but im really a big fan of a much lesser known, underground band called Greyspoke Variety. I found them on purevolume one day (back in the day when i still used that site) and i love them. They had all of their songs available to download and i seized the opportunity. They've since deleted their account on Purevolume I believe but you can download live sets of theirs on archive if you google them.. They don't have the great polished sound but it's that neat amateur sound that is different than other bands mentioned here.

zach
May 18, 2006, 06:45 PM
wow, this thread has been brought back from the dead ::twice::.

that's impressive.

but i like jam bands too... Grateful Dead and Phish certainly spring to mind, as do all their offshoots (Phil Lesh and Friends, etc), and String Cheese Incident and OAR are both great.

that being said, my favorite band of all is Dispatch, which was somewhat jam-band-ish, especially live, but not a true jam band in the real sense of it.

ScarletBegonias
May 19, 2006, 04:50 PM
jim really a big fan of a much lesser known, underground band called Greyspoke Variety. I found them on purevolume one day (back in the day when i still used that site) and i love them. They had all of their songs available to download and i seized the opportunity. They've since deleted their account on Purevolume I believe but you can download live sets of theirs on archive if you google them.. They don't have the great polished sound but it's that neat amateur sound that is different than other bands mentioned here.

Greyspoke Variety has a sick new show up at archive
http://www.archive.org/details/gsv2006-04-13.sbd.flacf
I highly highly suggest downloading. As Casbah mentioned the don't have the polished sound in most of their recordings, but in this one they sure seem to.

as far as bands go:
Obviously the well known ones are great... ie.
Grateful Dead, Allman Bros, Phish, String Cheese

but some that haven't been mentioned yet (Love Robert Randolph) are:
Dark Star Orchestra, Disco Biscuits (actually may have been mentioned can't remember), North Mississippi Allstars (have played with Robert Randolph quite a few times), The Breakfast, Raq, Medeski Martin and Wood, and Sound Tribe Sector 9

obviously there are those who aren't prototypical Jam Band but rock nonetheless (ie. Clapton):
Hendrix, Zeppelin, and the likes

anyway, download that Greyspoke show, and you won't listen to anything else for at least a week.

MacBookDJ
May 19, 2006, 05:04 PM
Never much of a jam band fan, but when I first saw Phish back in the early 90s, I was hooked (no pun intended). I lived in NYC at the time and saw them as they went from playing small clubs, to medium halls, to large venues. By the time I moved away, they were playing Madison Square Garden. Fun to watch a band's rise to the top in person.

quigleybc
May 20, 2006, 01:44 PM
I wasn't sure if there were any phish fans on here or not....

I was also hooked for years, I didn't really listen to anything but Phish for about 8 years.....

Since they broke up, and thanks to the ITMS i've shelved all my Phish for the past year, and gone back to listen to everything I missed..

Anyone go to Big Cypress? Anyone agree with me that that was the greatest thing ever?

Also, anyone gonna check out Mike and Trey with the Duo this Summer?

quigleybc
May 20, 2006, 01:47 PM
Also, just wondering....to the original poster...is your MR screen name related to the George R.R Martin Books?

Jon Snow?

I love those books.

considering you wrote that post 3 years ago...I don't expect a response.
just curious.

DrunkMonk
May 23, 2006, 03:05 PM
Wow, just checked out that Greyspoke Variety show linked above... it is sick. Highly recommend, and thank you much ScarletBegonias.

SpookTheHamster
May 23, 2006, 03:25 PM
What about some of the Les Claypool side projects? c2b3 etc.

quigleybc
May 23, 2006, 03:48 PM
What about some of the Les Claypool side projects? c2b3 etc.

I saw the Flying Frog Brigade in San Fran, and at Bonnaroo a few years back, it was highly entertaining...

zelmo
May 23, 2006, 03:51 PM
Ozric. Tentacles.

everyone else is a pretender.

Phishfan123
Jul 12, 2006, 01:43 PM
Hey Guys... I just heard Particle is coming out with a new live DVD and CD next week featuring their 2 new guitarists/vocalists.... Joe Satriani, Robby Krieger, Blackalicious, and DJ Logic also make some guest appearances. It looks awesome. Their MySpace page is full of good stuff… www.myspace.com/particle

quigleybc
Jul 12, 2006, 02:31 PM
Hey Guys... I just heard Particle is coming out with a new live DVD and CD next week featuring their 2 new guitarists/vocalists.... Joe Satriani, Robby Krieger, Blackalicious, and DJ Logic also make some guest appearances. It looks awesome. Their MySpace page is full of good stuff… www.myspace.com/particle

Good to see a fellow phish fan on here...I think we are the only two.....

What do you think of the new GRAB stuff? I really like it...:)

bowens
Jul 12, 2006, 03:10 PM
wow i just saw spearhead on saturday and i have really gotten into them this week.
i also like:
robert randolph and the family band
Phish
Disco Biscuits

I saw OAR because my girlfriend made me go and wow i must say all their songs sound alike, if spearhead was not their i dont know what i would do. I must say i did like that one song called "anyway".

Robert Randolph is amazing. His music is totally revolutionary for the pedal steel.

trooney2
Jul 13, 2006, 10:22 AM
i am (or was) a huge phish fan, however i don't listen to them as much anymore. you guys should really check out umphrey's mcgee. still though, i try to listen to a little phish every day.

rikers_mailbox
Jul 13, 2006, 10:59 AM
I'm into Phish... check out my handle. :) Saw maybe 15 or so shows through the late 90's, early 2000's, and post-hiatus.

Though I've not been listening too much lately. Sufjan Stevens has been occupying my iTunes and car CD player. "Come on feel the Illinoise (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=73654274&s=143441)" is fantastic. Highly recommended, but not too jam-bandy. Eh.

Wow, this thread was started LONG ago.

quigleybc: dig the sig

quigleybc
Jul 14, 2006, 02:12 PM
quigleybc: dig the sig

Thanks, ya I love the song Tube....

Phish was a huge part of my life (66 shows 95-2003) but, like you I've backed off from listening to them this past year....

GRAB is sweet though, Trey,Mike and the guys from the Duo. They played in Vermont two nights ago, and Page played with them...

all those shows are on the eTree (http://bt.etree.org/index.php?cat=176) torrent tracker

good times.....great oldies..:(

nk060204
Feb 28, 2007, 06:24 PM
America's Largest Earth Day Celebration Green Apple Festival is held all over NEW YORK, CHICAGO, and SAN FRANCISCO from April 20th to 22nd in the finest parks of the city that includes Central Park, Lincoln Park, and Golden Gate Park. The festival is for ALL ages. It also includes the Green Apple Kids Concert, a series of children's and family shows held throughout the weekend in each city. For more information about the artists and actives please feel free to ask me anything!!!!!!

JAM BAND FANSSS
Russo-Benevento Duo, Ratdog, Umphrey's McGee, Tea Leaf Green, Andrew Bird, Brothers Past, Stephen Marley featuring Junior Gong, Yonder Mountain String Band:cool:

aricher
Feb 28, 2007, 07:02 PM
America's Largest Earth Day Celebration Green Apple Festival is held all over NEW YORK, CHICAGO, and SAN FRANCISCO from April 20th to 22nd in the finest parks of the city that includes Central Park, Lincoln Park, and Golden Gate Park. The festival is for ALL ages. It also includes the Green Apple Kids Concert, a series of children's and family shows held throughout the weekend in each city. For more information about the artists and actives please feel free to ask me anything!!!!!!

JAM BAND FANSSS
Russo-Benevento Duo, Ratdog, Umphrey's McGee, Tea Leaf Green, Andrew Bird, Brothers Past, Stephen Marley featuring Junior Gong, Yonder Mountain String Band:cool:
Where can I get the show schedule for Chicago? The website doesn't have any live links yet:

Green Apple Music Festival (http://www.greenapplemusicfestival.com/)

aricher
Feb 28, 2007, 07:03 PM

JAM BAND FANSSS

Web link here: Green Apple Music Festival (http://www.greenapplemusicfestival.com/web/index.php)

Where's the listing for Chicago though?

j@yri˘hiŁ
Mar 1, 2007, 01:30 AM
i mean....Robert Randolph and the Family Band, i see no down side to listen to any of that...i was just at one of their concerts at the Electric Factory in Philly. Talk about energy, they just thrive off of the crowd, invitin' people up on stage letting guys play guitar w/ them during a jam...awesome

also a local band from philly opened for them that REALLY caught my ear... check out Grimace Federation....amazing Jam Band thats all they do no lyrics...just jam...they've reached my high list...

and a live DMB concert you can hear some good jamming....

DEF DEF DEF check out Grimace Federation, i have no connection to them they are just awesome!!!

bartelby
Mar 1, 2007, 02:13 AM
Ozric. Tentacles.

everyone else is a pretender.

ARGH!!!
NOoooooooooo!!!!

:p