PDA

View Full Version : Make MacBook's display matte without replacing the display?

kabunaru
Feb 16, 2008, 09:14 PM
Is there any way I could make my MacBook's display matte without replacing the display? :confused:

Towhead
Feb 16, 2008, 09:27 PM
Is there any way I could make my MacBook's display matte without replacing the display? :confused:

Why would you? Glossy rules.

kabunaru
Feb 16, 2008, 09:33 PM
Why would you? Glossy rules.

More eyestrain with the glossy display than matte display and I couldn't afford the MacBook Pro.

paul.b.davis
Feb 16, 2008, 11:01 PM
i do not think so

Shredster00
Feb 16, 2008, 11:41 PM
Yep
http://www.google.com/products?q=anti+glare+screen+filter+laptop&btnG=Search&show=dd

Jim82
Feb 17, 2008, 05:30 AM

The link below is to PowerSupport. They make an Anti Glare screen protector (matte). I use them for my iPhone, Macbook, and the GFs MBP. This is all you need. And you'll love it. Also, it does not leave any kind of sticky stuff on your screen when you remove it, you can also wash it and re-apply it.

http://www.powersupportusa.com/products/ef.php?category=pb

xUKHCx
Feb 17, 2008, 05:33 AM
The link below is to PowerSupport. They make an Anti Glare screen protector (matte). I use them for my iPhone, Macbook, and the GFs MBP. This is all you need. And you'll love it. Also, it does not leave any kind of sticky stuff on your screen when you remove it, you can also wash it and re-apply it.

Can you post a picture of what it looks like when on the macbook

Jim82
Feb 17, 2008, 05:35 AM
Can you post a picture of what it looks like when on the macbook

I don't have the antiglare (matte) one. I watch a lot of movies and do photos and stuff so I prefer the glossy. So I have a glossy screen protector for my glossy screen macbook.

kabunaru
Feb 17, 2008, 11:26 AM

Can I get this at Best Buy? Does Best Buy sell this?

Jim82
Feb 17, 2008, 11:29 AM
Can I get this at Best Buy? Does Best Buy sell this?

I've never seen it in any store aside from their Online store. If you or anyone else finds it some place let me know. The apple stores near me only sell the Power Support screen protectors for the iPhone, and the Laptop touch pad.. Larger Apple Stores might sell them though.

xUKHCx
Feb 17, 2008, 11:30 AM
International shipping is a little on the hefty side $65. Think I will pass for now, I have a screen protector for my iPhone and it is a really good product.

dogbait
Feb 17, 2008, 04:24 PM
Sandpaper baby!

kabunaru
Feb 17, 2008, 06:54 PM
Sandpaper baby!

Will this actually work? I hope you were sarcastic.

Jim82, thanks for the link. I ordered one.

operator207
Feb 17, 2008, 06:58 PM
Will this actually work? I hope you were sarcastic.

Jim82, thanks for the link. I ordered one.

One thing is for sure, your screen won't be glossy anymore! It also may not be readable, or functional anymore either.

thefunkymunky
Feb 18, 2008, 03:44 AM
Sandpaper might do the trick. :p

kabunaru
Feb 18, 2008, 09:12 AM

Can anybody please try this on an old glossy display laptop and tell me the results? :D

kabunaru
Feb 23, 2008, 04:13 PM
Jim82, thanks so much.
Here's my current MacBook's display with the anti-glare film:

Son of Matrix
Apr 1, 2008, 03:36 PM
Jim82, thanks so much.

Thanks for this!

Did you buy this from powersupportusa?

How do you find it? Is it effective to reduce the glareness?

Thanks!

stiphone
Apr 1, 2008, 06:50 PM
I'm using the 3M privacy filter on my MBP 15" and it's matte. It's great cause it gives me privacy when using it outdoors and I can actually swap it from matte to glossy whenever i want to....just flip the screen over....it's glossy on 1 side and matte on the other....

I'm loving it and i would recommend it. I got it at a discount from Circuit City about 2 months ago at $15..

wolfattack
Apr 1, 2008, 09:25 PM
Jim82, thanks so much.

can you post pictures when your computer is turned on?

kabunaru
Apr 25, 2008, 03:54 PM
can you post pictures when your computer is turned on?
Edit: Son of Matrix, yes, I bought it from Powersupportusa and it feels like a regular old matte screen to me. I no longer get eye strain.
Sure!:

kwfl
Apr 25, 2008, 05:29 PM
i ordered an imac and a MBP in the same period and they were delivered almost on the same day. the screens are both glossy, no i wish i can change back to matte. :(

kabunaru
Apr 25, 2008, 08:02 PM
i ordered an imac and a MBP in the same period and they were delivered almost on the same day. the screens are both glossy, no i wish i can change back to matte. :(

You can still order an anti-glare film for you MacBook Pro. :)

gillyweed
Apr 27, 2008, 12:47 AM
I love how everyone totally ignores the super **hilarious** link in the #4 post. It's like the bright pink Gateway in the room. Either that or everyone is too insanely busy exchanging bits of information about various screen protectors to read something that is actually quite funny and not at all boring. Or I'm unbelievably behind the times and everyone cool has already read it.

Here's the link again: http://www.misterbg.org/AppleProductCycle/

Maybe if kabunaru is lucky, an obscure component manufacturer somewhere in the Pacific Rim will announce a major order for matte Macbook displays... :)

kabunaru
Jun 10, 2008, 07:57 PM
Maybe if kabunaru is lucky, an obscure component manufacturer somewhere in the Pacific Rim will announce a major order for matte Macbook displays... :)

I wish. :)
I also wish Apple realizes that there is a market for matte screens on MacBooks. :)

dogbait
Jun 12, 2008, 05:25 AM
Here's the link again: http://www.misterbg.org/AppleProductCycle/

Hahah, that's superb!

leekohler
Jun 12, 2008, 09:21 AM
Thanks so much for posting this! You've cured my biggest complaint about my MacBook! Thank you, thank you!

kabunaru
Jun 12, 2008, 09:24 AM
Thanks so much for posting this! You've cured my biggest complaint about my MacBook! Thank you, thank you!

No problem. I am glad that I could help.

xUKHCx
Jun 12, 2008, 09:27 AM

Seeing this thread come back up just makes me sad because the international shipping is so prohibitively expensive. :(

Guess I might spend this afternoon trying to find a reseller somewhere closer.

kabunaru
Jun 15, 2008, 10:08 AM
Seeing this thread come back up just makes me sad because the international shipping is so prohibitively expensive. :(

Guess I might spend this afternoon trying to find a reseller somewhere closer.

Well, that sucks. I still do hope you "mattefy" your MacBook. :D
Good luck. :)

jayeskreezy
Nov 2, 2008, 06:40 PM
Jim82, thanks so much.

nevermind...i think I might order one of these one day...lol

Knolly
Nov 2, 2008, 07:08 PM

Although I'm sure you were joking... This would actually work. If you got some really high grit sand paper and sanded it in an even direction... You would end up with a very nice matte screen.

Alternatively I'm halfway tempted to hit mine with a flat coat of clear acrylic.