PDA

View Full Version : MacBook doing Morse Code S.O.S.!!!

KJdanReuben
Feb 16, 2008, 09:49 PM
Exactly what the title says. I installed 10.5.2 on a 2.2ghz MB and when I restarted it, it didn't restart. The screen didn't come on and it gives 3 short beeps, 3 long beeps, and 3 short beeps - S.O.S. The sleep light also blinks with the beeps. It is really weird. I think it's kinda funny cause it's S.O.S., but not good because it won't start at all. It won't recognize any keyboard commands on startup (T for target disk mode, C to boot from the optical drive with Leopard DVD, Shift for safe mode, etc.), and the screen doesn't come on at all. I know three beeps means bad memory so I checked it, and it is good. I took the memory out of my 2.2ghz MBP and put it in the MB - same thing as before. I put the memory from the MB in my MBP, and it started just fine. I already called Apple and they are sending me a box. I figure it is the logic board. What about everyone else?

Spievy
Feb 16, 2008, 10:07 PM
WOW I have never heard of that.

car crash yes, never S.O.S.

Blanz
Feb 17, 2008, 01:11 AM
that is the funniest error i have ever heard.

sell it on ebay

Pukey
Feb 17, 2008, 03:12 AM
I've never heard of this either, but I have to say along with others here, that is one of the funniest computer errors I've heard of.
Sorry about the trouble you're having though. I hope Apple can fix it or exchange your MB.

KJdanReuben
Feb 17, 2008, 09:16 AM
Yeah, I'm kind of aggravated that it broke. It was just bought in December. Oh well. But the error is hilarious! It's ironic that it broke and it's sending out an S.O.S. signal. Haha!

todd2000
Feb 17, 2008, 09:24 AM
Yeah, I'm kind of aggravated that it broke. It was just bought in December. Oh well. But the error is hilarious! It's ironic that it broke and it's sending out an S.O.S. signal. Haha!

LOL, I wonder if Apple did that on purpose, or if it's just a coincidence?

bdporter
Mar 7, 2008, 04:35 PM
The screen didn't come on and it gives 3 short beeps, 3 long beeps, and 3 short beeps - S.O.S. The sleep light also blinks with the beeps. It is really weird. I think it's kinda funny cause it's S.O.S., but not good because it won't start at all. It won't recognize any keyboard commands on startup (T for target disk mode, C to boot from the optical drive with Leopard DVD, Shift for safe mode, etc.), and the screen doesn't come on at all.

I have one of my MacBooks doing the exact same thing! I take care of 32 of these machines at my school (I'm an ECS). I figure that Apple must have put it on there for when the board fails. If I find out anything more I'll let you all know.

BowZinger
Mar 7, 2008, 04:56 PM
It means that there was a hardware failure. At least that is what I came up with. Anyways Apple should take care of the problem!

pdutcher
May 24, 2008, 01:40 PM
I have the same problem with a MACBOOK I purchased in December showing the exact same symptoms. I am at the Apple Store now. I will post my results once I am done here.

alphaod
May 24, 2008, 03:00 PM
Well here's the Apple KB article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1221

It's for the Air, but I'm sure it's the same issue; says "To address this issue, please visit your nearest Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider, or call Apple directly."

pdutcher
May 25, 2008, 03:09 PM
I took mine to the Apple Store and they kept it to be shipped out for repair.

longagirl
Jul 27, 2008, 11:02 PM
And at the Genius Bar, no less! The initial diagnosis is that the hard drive failed. I'm interested to find out other's root causes before I commit to sending in my baby :(

rychencop
Jul 28, 2008, 07:51 AM
it must be sinking.

gusious
Jul 29, 2008, 08:28 AM
it must be sinking.

lol:D

cornopaez
Aug 7, 2008, 01:10 PM
I bought a MBP today and first start up and did the same sound. Called Apple and they said that it could be a Firmware issue or HD issue... but he wasn't really sure about it. Now I have to wait for work to end and then go and get a replacement...

First BAD impression. :p

daxdagr8t
Aug 7, 2008, 01:35 PM
I have an appointment with a genius later due to my MBP not starting up. It hanged yesterday, I shut it down and now it wont start anymore :(. Apple care said it might me a logic board issue maybe similar to yours.

MacFever
Aug 7, 2008, 01:58 PM
it must be sinking.

zinking??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zkZ3f8DnKs

that is funny though about the S.O.S.

why not put a voice in place for modern times...lol

"your hard drive is bad"
"your hard drive is bad"
"your hard drive is bad"

"your memory is bad"
"your memory is bad"

you know instead of having to go into the manual to figure out...oh was it 3 beeps or 2 ? 3 beeps mean hard drive or memory ?

gusious
Aug 8, 2008, 02:05 AM
zinking??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zkZ3f8DnKs

hahahahaha!!!The video was really funny!lol!!:D

cornopaez
Aug 8, 2008, 02:08 PM
I bought a MBP today and first start up and did the same sound. Called Apple and they said that it could be a Firmware issue or HD issue... but he wasn't really sure about it. Now I have to wait for work to end and then go and get a replacement...

First BAD impression. :p

So, they couldn't reproduce the problem while at the store and the computer is working (feel really dumb wasting their time)... BUT, I just noticed that the computer doesn't close tight as my MB use to. Is this normal? I mean, is there supposed to be a little be of resistance before you can actualy shut it close? :confused:

Fabiano
Aug 8, 2008, 03:08 PM
can you record it and show to us? Im just curious! :D

crackbookpro
Feb 25, 2009, 11:39 AM
Just to let you all know, the SOS 9 beeps(3 short, 3 long, 3 short) on a Mac is totally true. I did a system update on my Macbook from the latest update(2/17/09), SMC update 1.3 that also included a firmware update(increase in efficiency for battery performance).

Guess what?...I clicked my trackpad for the system update, and my Macbook screen went blank, and made the (now infamous) 9 beeb signal. My day was ruined as I had an important meeting with a new client, and furthermore talked to AppleCare Technical Support for the next 2 to 3 hours that day.

For all of you who think this is funny...it's not - it is a legit Apple malfunction letting the user know that the logic board is defective.

I know have a new Macbook(kind of happy about that), but at the same time, may have lost an important client.

Best of luck to all of you who try SMC update 1.3 scheduled on 2/17/09...

-CrackbookPro:cool:

WildCowboy
Feb 25, 2009, 12:04 PM
If you'd like to know what the beep codes mean, see this support document (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2538).

In general, that signal should mean that firmware restoration from CD is in progress.

crackbookpro
Feb 25, 2009, 12:28 PM
That link is pretty old, and is also for an iMac...I just spoke with someone yesterday at the Genius Bar, and they told me that my computer needs to be replaced - I now have a new MacBook because of the 9 beep S.O.S signal.

harry454
Feb 25, 2009, 04:25 PM
try calling applecare it seems to be the SMC update that caused it according to others

dmmcintyre3
Feb 25, 2009, 05:14 PM
Check your ram. I think that means your ram is bad

jav6454
Feb 25, 2009, 05:23 PM
The beeping sounds calling for SOS are normal. Apple has a set of guidelines for the 3 different type of beeping they have for Macs. The SOS beep means bad logic board. Screens also flick with the beeps.

Since Apple sent you a box, it most likely means a replacement or a logic board change.

Sdashiki
Feb 25, 2009, 05:39 PM
I recall the Performas and Quadras having orchestral (like 8bit though) sounds for various errors.

missing video card was one
bad ram another

it was neat.

Samuriajackon
Feb 25, 2009, 10:44 PM
I remember trouble shooting Beep codes from 386 machines with (I think) Phoenix Bios...some things never change...:)

finnschi
Feb 26, 2009, 05:48 PM
maybe its a hint to... OS 11 ... "iceberg" :D

(they need to get away from cats, now seriously... Snow-Leopard.. is well kinda ... dumb even tho it makes sense .. a cleaner Leopard.. haha i get it.. ;)

crackbookpro
Feb 27, 2009, 09:02 AM
3 beeps means you have defective memory

9 beeps is a defective logic board

-CrackbookPro:cool:

mattwolfmatt
Mar 25, 2010, 12:22 PM
The beeping sounds calling for SOS are normal. Apple has a set of guidelines for the 3 different type of beeping they have for Macs. The SOS beep means bad logic board. Screens also flick with the beeps.

Since Apple sent you a box, it most likely means a replacement or a logic board change.

I wouldn't exactly say they're NORMAL.

Just had this happen today with an early 2009 imac. Weirdest thing: two minutes later it started up just fine. It's in a music technology lab, so fixing it will be challenging. It's under applecare, which is nice.

Thankfully I was able to start it up and back everything up. We'll see how long it lasts.

jawa12083
Mar 25, 2010, 07:48 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPod Touch 2G 8GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Maybe theres a dwarf living inside...

JacaByte
Mar 26, 2010, 04:00 PM
"Danger, leprechauns."

Remember when Macs would play taps if there was a hardware failure?

TEG
Mar 26, 2010, 04:14 PM
"Danger, leprechauns."

Remember when Macs would play taps if there was a hardware failure?

I thought it was a Zelda (NES) sound.

TEG

bigbrodza
Aug 18, 2010, 12:11 PM
Alright guys my MacBook started doing this about three days ago. I recorded this to show you guys. It's pretty funny.

Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzLqYuesm2I&sns=em

:D

Andy707
Nov 25, 2010, 05:14 AM
HI All

I know this is an old thread, but I just had the same problem.
Yeah, it pretty crazy hearing my macbook beep out S-O-S :)

In my case it was the ram that was the problem, seems I have a faulty unit, swapped it out for a smaller capacity spare chip and it was fine, put it back in and 'beep-beep-beep' again...

Andy

jredo
Jan 6, 2011, 11:13 PM
I have an 18 month old Mac desktop. I ran the software update program from the apple icon. Then after reboot, a gray shade went down my computer monitor. When I did a hard reboot I heard the S.O.S.

After that, the CD that was in there ejected on the next reboot and from there on dead dead dead. I have an appointment with the local Mac store tomorrow.