Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hauntedcity

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2007
Background: I've read that some older games (in this case Myst III) have problems with dual core CPUs and that disabling one core may fix the problems.

Steps taken: In /library/Application Support/HW Prefs/CPU Palette, I can disable 1 core in Leopard (running 10.5.2). However, once I disable one core, the entire system pauses every few seconds. It makes it almost impossible to do anything.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks,

Doug

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
I remember someone once saying, that removing the battery and hooking the charger up, will only power one core. It also makes it quieter, but reduces performance, because only one core is running. (+ a bunch of other technical hubalub)

hauntedcity

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2007
What type of machine are you using?

Good question! Intel MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.16 with 3GB RAM.

Actually, this issues takes a back burner, because I just realized the game I'm trying to play won't recognize the DVD in Leopard. So, if I can get the game to recognize the DVD, only then do I have to worry about the 2nd core.

Sigh...
:(

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
I've never tried to disable a core on a C2D, only my old C(1)D iMac. Maybe the architecture's changed to the point where performance drops significantly when a core is shut down. With the "smart cache", shared between cores, and some other functions, it's possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.