Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia
I have a slow internet connection compared to the rest of the world (1.5mb/s). I am very happy with it since I have been on 256kb/s for the last 2 years. I am just wondering how long it took your movies to say "Ready to watch"?? Can you please say approximately how long it took and if it was HD or not and how fast your internet connection is? Thanks.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Within a minute for SD movie, almost instant for TV show, but >30min for HD movie. 3mbps connection. Looks like about 1GB/30minutes for HD, for the couple I've rented so far.

256kbps won't be useable for HD, IMHO. Apple estimates ~8hr for 90min movie at 768kbps (to start).

You can estimate start times based on their chart on the tv spec page.

tothelimit

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
South Florida
I'm on about a 6Mbps cable connection - I rented an HD movie the other night and it took about 3 mins (2% completion) for the movie to the 'ready to watch' ... I started it right then and I never had any pausing/rebuffering. The movie was completely downloaded when I was about 1/2 way through the movie.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
By the time the rental service gets to Australia you'd hopefully have a faster connection anyway. Most of the ISPs here in NZ are phasing out the slower services (Telstra gave me a free upgrade from 2 to 6 Mb/s a while ago) so presumably they're going to do the same sort of thing over there. I wouldn't worry too much just yet :)

ctakim

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
Man, I have to get some better pipes. I have a 1.2-1.5 mbps download speed via cable modem and I rented my first HD Apple TV movie to watch last night...not. Two hours later it was still not watchable and I went to bed. However, it is fully downloaded as of this AM, for what it is worth.:(

cohibadad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Rented HD Fantastic Four Silver Surfer last night. Took less than 1 minute to be ready to watch.

I have cable. Tests at 5854kbps on speedtest.net through wireless N on my iMac.

elmo151

Jul 3, 2007
NYC
5-10 minutes.
I start the download and do something else for half an hour or so. it avoids any viewing hiccups

Carlos E

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
NYC
I have 40 megs down and the HD rental was ready to watch in as soon as I clicked back to the previous menu. It was like 30 seconds.

JimmyDreams

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
The times are nice to know, but how about if people throw in what type of connection they have (DSL/CABLE/WIRELESS) and also their average speed up/down if they know it.

VideoFreek

Contributor
May 12, 2007
Philly
You can calculate that the critical download speed for HD rentals is something like 3 - 3.5 mbps; faster than that and the movie will download faster than real-time, which means that the :apple:TV will need to do very little buffering before you can watch it. Slower than that means that the movie will take longer to download than to watch it, and so a fair amount of buffering will be necessary. Here I'm assuming a 3GB movie that runs 120 min, and I'm talking about actual download speeds, and not the "advertised" speed that can vary from real life by quite a bit.

I'm on a 16 mbps DSL here in Germany, and the HD rentals are ready to watch in under a minute. They take about 70 minutes to download completely, which implies I'm getting a true download speed of about 6mbps--not surprising given the transatlantic bottleneck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.