PDA

View Full Version : Is sound over HDMI optional?

Steven Jackson
Feb 17, 2008, 06:41 AM
If I connect my AppleTV to my television with an HDMI cable, and to my amp with an optical cable, will the AppleTV mute the sound over HDMI or will I have to mute the TV if I just want to hear the sound from my amp?

Thanks,

Steve.

srexy
Feb 17, 2008, 07:15 AM
If I connect my AppleTV to my television with an HDMI cable, and to my amp with an optical cable, will the AppleTV mute the sound over HDMI or will I have to mute the TV if I just want to hear the sound from my amp?

Thanks,

Steve.

You'll probably have to mute the tv or find a setting in your tv to mute that hdmi input.

pilotError
Feb 17, 2008, 07:58 AM
I have it set up that way. Currently I have to mute the TV, but I wanted that option so the kids could watch a movie and not have to turn on the AV system.

MikieMikie
Feb 17, 2008, 08:23 AM

Thanks,

Steve.

Most TVs (mine included) have a menu that allows you to mute the internal speakers regardless of the input. This is different than hitting the mute button on your remote.

Steven Jackson
Feb 17, 2008, 08:26 AM
Cheers, people.

The TV I'm looking at buying is the Sony KDL-46X3000. Does anyone have any experience with this set?

Steve.