Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DougJrS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2004
Kansas City
From playing with the movie store from the Apple TV I have noticed that the previews vary greatly in quality. I have seem some movies with only SD offerings have previews with stunning quality compared to some HD previews that appear soft and fuzzy. (Some of the HD previews look like I am watching a DVD with my DVD player set to "Zoom 2".)

So, does the preview quality have anything to do with the quality of the rented video or the show if you buy it?

Thanks,
Doug

mrrory

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2005
United Kingdom of America
I noticed this too and will be interested to find out the answer. Now i'm all about watching Big Trouble in Little China, but must I watch it in SD and pillarboxed?

My guess is that many of the previews are the original previews from when the movie was made and so the aspect ratio is different because the are TV ads from back in the day. That said, some of the newer stuff is pillarboxed too. I'd be disappointed if I rented a movie and had to watch it this way...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.