Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DougJrS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2004
Kansas City
When I got my Apple TV connected the other night and I was looking for some of my favorite shows I noticed no NBC content. Then I remembered that NBC took their content off iTunes... because of pricing, right?

Ok, so if they took their content off of iTunes because they were not making enough money, why can you now watch just about every show from their site for free?

For the show I just got done watching I am not sure that anyone could get me to believe that NBC made more money off the Comfort Inn add then they would have made if I had paid Apple $1.99 to download the show.

(BTW - The only add that I really remember was of a woman walking her dog with a bag full of "doggie walking gifts". That does not make we want to stay at a comfort inn. )

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
I think NBC's decision to give their shows away for free download was their way of giving Apple the finger.

Clearly it's not working out for them or they wouldn't be talking with Apple again. If this iTunes rental is successful, they won't want to miss out on the revenue stream...

DougJrS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2004
Kansas City
I see!

If free from their site is the finger what would it be if NBC created created NBC HD Video PodCasts? (Like one for LasVegas, Heros, Office, Lipstick Jungle, Life, Medium, etc)

I am sure that they could find a way to "insert" adds into the video, so they still make their money and I get to watch more NBC shows from my Apple TV!

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
How do you know they aren't making more money from the ads then on iTunes? I am sure a lot more people watch the show for free than when they were on iTunes. To a lot of people, including me, 1.99 for a TV show you watch once is too expensive. There needs to be a TV rental option or ad supported free TV shows on iTunes or I will never download one.

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
All the content providers are extremely nervous about the increasing power of certain distributions systems, particularly Apple's.

It's a shame these guys are so myopic and backwards-looking that they focus on protecting old business models rather than building new and better ones (or even just making quality content). In the end, though, they will fall victim to their own ineptitude.

NBC is a leading example. They were so worried about Apple's distribution system that they failed to see that pulling their content from iTunes did nothing but lose customers. I used to buy BSG & Heroes on iTunes and then DVD. I enjoyed the content enough such that I went so far as to try the NBC site, but it was so painfully lame that it just wasn't worth the hassle and inconvenience. No content is that good. Now I just don't watch anything from NBC.

Customer doesn't get what he wants, and neither the content providers nor the distributors get any revenue. Way to kill a business guys!

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
How do you know they aren't making more money from the ads then on iTunes? I am sure a lot more people watch the show for free than when they were on iTunes. To a lot of people, including me, 1.99 for a TV show you watch once is too expensive. There needs to be a TV rental option or ad supported free TV shows on iTunes or I will never download one.

You make some good points. Clearly, $.01 is too much for me to pay for NBC shows in iTunes. Especially when I pay my cable company to deliver them to me.

I also would find it hard to watch dramatic content in my home office, so downloading from NBC's site seems equally unlikely.

As to whether or not NBC is making more money from their embedded ads, I can only state that if they were successful at it, they would not have a need to strike up conversations with Apple again.

elmo151

Jul 3, 2007
NYC
NBC's business acumen is reflected in their ratings... lousy

the new appleTV will shake things up a lot. coupled with the triumph of Blu-Ray the tv/podcast/movie world is undergoing major changes ... mostly good for consumers.

filmguy15

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2007
You make some good points. Clearly, $.01 is too much for me to pay for NBC shows in iTunes. Especially when I pay my cable company to deliver them to me.

I think Apple's goal is for us all to drop our cable companies. This works out great for me, as I watch only 3 or 4 shows at most, and the rest is just junk. It's cheaper for me to buy season passes and not pay a monthly cable bill. Now that I'm free from the cable company, I'm so much happier.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008

I'd pay $1.99 for COMMERCIAL FREE TV! :D

I don't have time to sit and watch TV, so having episodes without commercials is a plus. I can watch a one hour TV show in 42 minutes!!!!

Actually iTunes can create new viewers for existing shows. Thanks to iTunes other members of my family are watching several different shows on cable TV that they never knew existed. In our case NBC loses, not us.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.