PDA

View Full Version : Selling you TiBooks like crazzy?

mymemory
Apr 29, 2002, 02:06 PM
Think about this.

When the Ti came out people were selling their PBG3, right now this is the 4th revision of the Ti in less than a year (if I'm not wrong), but I see a lot of people very please with theirs PB G3 Pismo specially. So...

Are you not realizing that the Ti is not worth the money as the Pismo did?

If you were really happy with your Ti... why you are selling it?

As a Mac fan I'm very carefull with what Apple is selling me, I can see that Apple works a lot based on their loyals fans more than in obectivity, because if we really get objective about powerbooks, the first and secund line of Ti are inferior than a Pismo. The 15" and the processor speed is not all.
I do not buy OSX neither yet as I didn't buy previous versions of the G3 Powerbooks.

It is very funne when after a few years you can tell the strategy of a company like Apple. I would wait for another 2 revisions of the TiPB to get a really good one, maybe with superdrives or something.

The very good quality product that Apple has is the top of the line iMac, and they increase the price with very good reasons.... everything is turning Firewire now.

MacAztec
Apr 29, 2002, 02:14 PM
My dad can still get 1200 bucks for his Pismo. It has some awesome specs:

500MHz G3 Firewire
No dead pixels, and NO scratches
2 Batteries/Power Adapters
20GB HD
640MB RAM
Airport Card
Targus Notebook Case
DVD/CD Slot
Zip 100 Slot

iGav
Apr 29, 2002, 02:26 PM
Well I'm waiting till Feb 03 to get rid of my 500Mhz TiBook, I figure that by then we should be on 1Ghz, so that extra 500 will sure ome in handy....

Would love an 800 now, but just can't justify the upgrade cost..... :rolleyes:

Role feb 03 then........ ;) :D :)

eyelikeart
Apr 29, 2002, 02:29 PM
I think more than anything I'm bored...

I have so many things going on in my life right now...but at the same time...I'm bored...

and I'm a Mac junkie...

I'm also scared if I keep my TiBook for another year it won't be worth squat...

other than that....I'm looking to make somewhat of a lateral move (financially) with selling what I have and "upgrading" to a newer 667...;)

mcrain
Apr 29, 2002, 02:29 PM
It seems to me that a lot of people are offloading their TiBooks to get a new TiBook. Either they are unhappy with their current TiBook and are willing to give the new one a shot (unlikely), or really like their TiBook, so much so that they want a newer one.

I'd guess there are a lot of people with slower TiBooks, and the newer speeds and better screen is enough to get them to jump.

Sounds sort of like the energy levels of electrons... (wow, physics from years ago coming back into my brain)

krossfyter
Apr 29, 2002, 06:22 PM
i have a 667 with 512 ram and im damn happy. thats DAMN HAPPY..if you failed to catch that!

I wont upgrade for a while. this is good enough for me. its perfect actually. its not slow for my work. if it were so i would upgrade.

eyelikeart
Apr 29, 2002, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by mcrain
or really like their TiBook, so much so that they want a newer one.

I'd guess there are a lot of people with slower TiBooks, and the newer speeds and better screen is enough to get them to jump.

Sounds sort of like the energy levels of electrons... (wow, physics from years ago coming back into my brain)

u hit the nail right on the head...well aside from my "boredom" comment earlier...

my TiBook does everything I need it to do...and I absolutely love the thing!!

I've never had to send it in for repair...and it's never given me a day of trouble since I bought it...

but I just am a junkie...plain and simple :p

Rower_CPU
Apr 29, 2002, 08:59 PM
Same here...plus I feel that there are significant improvements in this revision that make it more attractive for me. Coming from a 400MHz with 10GB hard drive and Rage 128 card, here's what looks good abut the new TiBook:

Faster CPU (duh)
Faster system bus (not to be taken lightly)
1MB L3 cache (again, not to be taken lightly)
Faster/bigger hard drive w/ 60 GB drive
Higher res graphics
Better graphic performance in 3D apps
Audio line-in
No IRDA slot (waste of space)
Same great form factor and design

I'm drooling over here...I just need to offload my old for a decent price to be able to afford it...:p

The only thing that makes me cautious is that we haven't heard if it's an apollo chip. I don't want a laptop that's gonna scald me if I put it on my lap!

chmorley
Apr 29, 2002, 10:09 PM
I'm really happy with my TiBook. I agree that people are probably selling theirs to get new ones. It's a leap to assume that people are selling their TiBooks because they don't like them--especially just as new ones come out. People don't trade in their cars for a new one of the same make and model because they didn't like the old one.

Don't know when I'll replace my 667, as I tend to hold on to computers for a while. Besides, it's still plenty fast.

Chris

edesignuk
May 4, 2002, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by iGAV
Well I'm waiting till Feb 03 to get rid of my 500Mhz TiBook, I figure that by then we should be on 1Ghz, so that extra 500 will sure ome in handy....

Would love an 800 now, but just can't justify the upgrade cost..... :rolleyes:

Role feb 03 then........ ;) :D :)
Do you really think we're going to have to wait until Feb '03 for a Ghz model? I was hopeing sooner :D

jaykk
May 4, 2002, 08:37 PM
The way apple is upgrading the system lately, we can see an upgrade as early as MWNY. I bought my TiBook 550Mhz about 6 months ago, since then i saw two Rev. I am happy about my 550Mhz, but still i am so envious of 800 Mhz and a better display. I will wait for now , I guess 1 Ghz tibook will be irrestible .

eyelikeart
May 5, 2002, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by jaykk
The way apple is upgrading the system lately, we can see an upgrade as early as MWNY. I bought my TiBook 550Mhz about 6 months ago, since then i saw two Rev. I am happy about my 550Mhz, but still i am so envious of 800 Mhz and a better display. I will wait for now , I guess 1 Ghz tibook will be irrestible .

exactly what I'm doing...

I've started a new computer fund...so this time next year....I'll hopefully have a next generation TiBook or whatever it'll be...he he he :p

edesignuk
May 5, 2002, 06:24 AM
It seems that although we are all glad to see the TiBook 800 there are still alot of us holding out for the Ghz model.
C'mon Apple, bring 'em on! :D

eyelikeart
May 5, 2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by verbose101
It seems that although we are all glad to see the TiBook 800 there are still alot of us holding out for the Ghz model.
C'mon Apple, bring 'em on! :D

yeah...it was more of a decision by default....

I'm about to buy a car...and I'm looking at moving in 3 months....so dropping that much cash wouldn't be the best idea for me presently...

it's called "delayed gratification!" :D

BadExample
May 26, 2002, 05:31 PM
How much would a 400Mhz TiBook Go for?
I love it, i got it when they first came out, but i need a faster one for Final Cut Pro, not to mention the bigger HD......

I am shooting for a 733 or 667.....

Just wondering

eyelikeart
May 26, 2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by BadExample
How much would a 400Mhz TiBook Go for?
I love it, i got it when they first came out, but i need a faster one for Final Cut Pro, not to mention the bigger HD......

I am shooting for a 733 or 667.....

Just wondering

I'm assuming u are talking about replacing it with a PowerMac instead of going with another Ti....right??

u can probably fetch abut $1300-$1500....depending on how well u kept it up....how much RAM....hard drive....AppleCare extended service?

Rower_CPU
May 26, 2002, 10:41 PM
When I checked on prices for my setup I got quotes in the 1200-1500 range, based on these specs:
400MHz
640 MB RAM
10GB HD
Airport

I was disappointed that the RAM and Airport didn't add more to the price, but seeing as how it's two generations old now, it won't fetch as much as it would have a month or so ago (before the new TiBooks came out).