Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJordan2004

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2003
Has anyone installed Panther on a new 15 inch PowerBook? Im interested in getting one and ive heard about problems with batteries and stuff like that, and i was wondering if Panther fixed those things. I hope so becuase im ready to SWITCH!

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Panther is running slick and fast on my PowerBook. My XBench score jumped drastically, my boot times are twice as fast, I log out instantly and restart/shutdown in a second, and everything seems to be that much faster or smoother. I had a few issues here or there, but a few software updates, repairing the permissions, and setting up the network settings and tweaking fixed those right up. I hope that helps, enjoy your new PowerBook when you get it.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
I have the 12" PB, not the 15, but Panther really did wonders for speed and battery life. I am really pleased.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I'm really happy with the new password options on wake from sleep. Great for security while traveling.

Encrypted home folder is pretty cool, too. It did catch me off guard, though, when I booted back into Jaguar on another drive and tried to access something on my Panther desktop and my home folder only had the diskimage in it.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
Panther is running slick and fast on my PowerBook. My XBench score jumped drastically, my boot times are twice as fast, I log out instantly and restart/shutdown in a second, and everything seems to be that much faster or smoother. I had a few issues here or there, but a few software updates, repairing the permissions, and setting up the network settings and tweaking fixed those right up. I hope that helps, enjoy your new PowerBook when you get it.
what was the difference in your x bench? 1.33 quicksilver 10.2.6 is 111.3

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
My highest XBench score under 10.2.8 was 108 out of the many times I ran it, but now under 10.3 my highest is 127.9 with a consistent 120ish range no matter when I run it on my 15" 1.25 GHz. Even with processor in automatic mode, it still outperforms my Jaguar benchmarks when I had it under highest. OpenGL is slightly higher, the UI is nearly tripled, my memory and threading is a good 50% faster I'd say, and my disk scores are a good 20% faster, too. Overall, I'd say Panther has given me a bigger perceived speed boost than if I had gotten a processor/RAM upgrade under Jaguar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.