Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rioting

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
I don't know if this is known or not, but...
My iPod touch (I use this crappy PC) is on a Windows Machine. But when I was charging it through my sisters MacBook, I was able to add/remove songs from the iPod via iTunes. This kind of 'wowed' me because I thought iPods were only iTunes'able on only one platform? Is this because the touch can't be used as a disk drive? I'm on firmware 1.1.3 (with software upgrade) is tht matters. :)

tonyshucraft

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
I don't know if this is known or not, but...
My iPod touch (I use this crappy PC) is on a Windows Machine. But when I was charging it through my sisters MacBook, I was able to add/remove songs from the iPod via iTunes. This kind of 'wowed' me because I thought iPods were only iTunes'able on only one platform? Is this because the touch can't be used as a disk drive? I'm on firmware 1.1.3 (with software upgrade) is tht matters. :)

it may be that indeed. the ipod touch is different than other ipods so that ould be the correct assumption.

EdwardsNH

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
Depends on what you initially plugged it into. At least on all the other iPods (not sure on the touch, but I'd assume it to be the same... Windows formats it to FAT32, Mac formats it to HFS Plus.

Windows will not be able to work with HFS Plus, but the Mac will have no problem with the FAT32.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61672

ps - anyone notice a speed difference transferring songs to their iPod on a Mac, using either FAT32 or HFS Plus?

EdwardsNH

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
Good to Know

"Haven't tried on my iPod, but with my USB HD there's a noticable difference between HFS+ and FAT. FAT takes a bit longer in my experience."

Good to know... I'm going to be buying my first mac this year, and I've been debating on whether or not to reformat my Touch after.

Do I keep my iPod more adaptable by keeping it FAT32

or

Do I make it work a little better by reformatting it

Guess I'll just wait and see if I feel the need for a speed increase after I buy a Mac.

Thanks

noleterp

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2008
Bay Area
HFS+ iPod on Windows

The HFS+ formatted iPod works fine with windows after buying and installing MacDrive 6 (XP) or 7 (XP, Vista). I have been using MacDrive since 1999. It is a VERY helpful utility. It also allows me to use one backup HFS+ hard drive for both my windows and mac machine (I use retrospect).

jscalt

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2008
I considered buying the Touch to replace my Palm E2. I specifically asked about this issue at the Santa Monica Apple store because I have a Windows machine at work and iMac G5 at home. I wanted to be able to sync my contacts and calendar from Outlook at work, and sync iTunes with my iMac at home. They told me that I would not be able to do so (sync from two different machines) and because of that I have hesitated buying the Touch.

Any enlightenment on this would be much appreciated! I'm really looking for an answer that will allow me to get the Touch!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.