PDA

View Full Version : iBook screen resolution

fussball
Oct 26, 2003, 05:33 PM
I just did the dual display hack to my 05/02 rev. iBook, and I can now also use a 1280 x 960 resolution on my second display. Is this something that is supported normally by a 12" PB? I am thinking about upgrading in the next few months, and I really want to be able to have the higher screen resolution for my 17" LCD. On the apple site it says the 12" display supports the 1024 x 720 resolution, but I am wondering what resolutions the video card on the newest 12" PBs will support with an external display. any help?

tia

G5orbust
Oct 26, 2003, 05:39 PM
I dont exact understand what you mean, but the ibook's GPU should support an external display at up to 1600x1200 analog. The resolutions suported by your screen are read by the GPU and are registered as available in your second monitor resolution selection.

fussball
Oct 26, 2003, 06:22 PM
I am basically asking what resolutions a 12" PB will support on an external monitor... are those determined by the actual display being used, and not the computer, it sounds like?

I knew I was going to get a reply saying that someone did not understand me, I wasn't quite sure how to phrase the question. thanks though!

G5orbust
Oct 26, 2003, 06:29 PM
oh, on the 12 inch PB, external resolutions are independant of the main screen resolution.

So, you can run your pb at 1024x768 and a 19 inch crt at 1600x1200 and be fine.

fussball
Oct 26, 2003, 07:58 PM
ah, thanks a lot for the help! I guess my iBook is limited to 1280 x 960 from what I can tell

jtown
Oct 26, 2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by fussball
ah, thanks a lot for the help! I guess my iBook is limited to 1280 x 960 from what I can tell

It's limited to what your video configuration and external monitor can handle. I've heard of people running external monitors at 1920x1200 after applying the hack/patch on the last group of G3 iBooks (with 32 megs of VRAM). Mine will only go up to 1280x1024 on my external monitor because that's as high as the monitor goes.

Check your monitor's specifications and find out what it's maximum resolution is. If it can't go any higher than it already is, changing computers won't help. If that's the best it can do, you need to replace the monitor, not the computer.

As for the powerbooks, yes they'll do this without having to run a hack/patch but I really suggest you wait a few weeks to see if the program is updated for the new G4 ibook. The 12" powerbook really doesn't offer much more than the 12" ibook. There are already reports that the new G4 ibooks can be "fixed" manually and the author of the existing automated program is working on an update for the new machines. No point in spending an extra $500 if that's the only powerbook feature you need.