PDA

View Full Version : Wolfenstein is full of Carbon - yuck!

blackpeter
Apr 29, 2002, 03:17 PM
I just got this response from Aspyr support:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original Question

I've been playing the demo for about 6 months and my transition to the $50
version has me a little worried. The gameplay is a lot "choppier" (both on
the MP & SP versions) and playing with the video settings doesn't seem to
help either.
When I go back to the demo game, it's smooth as silk. What do you think
could be wrong?

Aspyr Media Support Response

>>"Howdy,
If by "demo", you are referring to the multiplayer test beta that was posted
by id Software, the game has been extensively re-written since then. That
application used Cocoa code, running in 10 exclusively, and our application
is Carbon-based, running in both 9 and 10. It may be slightly slower."<<
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think putting out a the demo in Cocoa when they knew they were writing the full-version in Carbon is misleading. What about you guys?

Is anyone else having issues with the new Wolfenstein?

Durandal7
Apr 29, 2002, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by tfaz1
I think putting out a the demo in Cocoa when they knew they were writing the full-version in Carbon is misleading. What about you guys?

Is anyone else having issues with the new Wolfenstein?

They probably didn't know that the game would be carbon when they released the beta. It is likely that the developers intended the game to be OS X only but marketing forced to make the game work with more machines. You have to keep in mind that it wasn't a demo but a multiplayer beta, if the beta was cocoa it was probably their original intent for the full version to be cocoa.

blackpeter
Apr 30, 2002, 02:51 PM
That's exactly what happened. The game started with iD Software (who made the Cocoa app) and moved to Aspyr (who turned it Carbon). The iD demo runs better than it's retard Carbon cousin from Aspyr. Don't bother spending the $50. The demo is really all you need.

vitruvius
Apr 30, 2002, 03:32 PM
have you tried increasing the amount of RAM for Audio and Video trough the console of wolfenstein? i had troubles with Video in my Tibook 667 with 512M of RAM and i looked on the "read me" document and there was an explanation of how to do that. ( sorry i cant remember it right now, but let me see if i can look for it):)