PDA

View Full Version : manually remove cd from powerbook drive

excalibur313
Feb 18, 2008, 10:06 AM
I was switching out a hard drive in an old 12" powerbook and in the process I killed the computer accidently. The problem is that I left a cd in the drive that I'd really like to get out. Is there a method for physically removing it with a paperclip or is there a button I could press within the drive?
Thanks!

JSchwage
Feb 18, 2008, 10:09 AM
Unfortunately, I think you may have to open up your Powerbook to get the disc out.

MacDann
Feb 18, 2008, 10:14 AM
I was switching out a hard drive in an old 12" powerbook and in the process I killed the computer accidently. The problem is that I left a cd in the drive that I'd really like to get out. Is there a method for physically removing it with a paperclip or is there a button I could press within the drive?
Thanks!

About the only way you will be able to remove it without power is by the use of some hemostats or forceps. And if you're lucky enough to get it out, you'll probably damage the CD in the process.

I had to do this once on a 15" PB that an idiot administrator stuck one of those 3" CDs on. It wasn't pretty. You may be in worse shape, as the drive has probably mounted the disk since it's in all the way, meaning there is a hub now inserted in the center hole of the disk.

Is there no way you can power up the machine? This won't be pretty.

Worst case, if you're sending it in for service, tell them to eject it for you.

Sorry.

MacDann

noodle654
Feb 18, 2008, 10:57 AM
Thanks!

What do you mean by killed? Is it a problem that you can fix?

bamaworks
Feb 18, 2008, 10:58 AM
I've never serviced a superdrive before but.... is it not possible to take the superdrive apart? I dis / reassembled a DVD-R Drive once before... wasn't terribly difficult.

MacDann
Feb 18, 2008, 11:02 AM
I just did a Goggle search for this and found a couple of interesting (and probably non-destructive) suggestions:

You could try a piece of construction paper, a strip of the thicker paper from a cereal box, or a strip of plastic (like the packaging off a box of toys - barbie doll boxes come to mind). Put some double stick tape on one of the ends and try to fish the disk out that way. Just be careful...

Again, good luck!

MacDann

techound1
Feb 18, 2008, 05:26 PM
If you can boot it into open firmware (not sure how dead is dead here), you can type the command eject cd and it will kick it right out to you.