PDA

View Full Version : How to make a flier

mudnuri
Feb 18, 2008, 11:01 AM
Hi all,
This is my first post here and I hope not to bore you.
I am part of a volunteer group in South Florida and we are raising some money by having a motorcycle/ATV race. We have a race entry flier, but I would like something different that we can use to promote this as we have two and 1/2 months before the green flag drops.
I stepped up and said I would make a flier because I have a Mac :)
Well, I came home and realized I have never made one before and don't know what to do.
I have some software and am not toooo dumb to learn, so if you can help me out, I'd really appreciate it.
Brian
mud -n-ur-i
:apple:

skinnylegs
Feb 18, 2008, 11:09 AM
Do you have iWork?

If not, you can download a free 30-day trial from Apple at http://www.apple.com/iwork/trial/ . If you download, I'd be happy to walk you through it. :)

BBQ Guru
Feb 18, 2008, 02:56 PM
Hate to bring up the dreaded "MS" word, but I have used Office templates to created several styles of brochures for our BBQ stand. Got them from: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/CT101043031033.aspx

skinnylegs
Feb 18, 2008, 03:00 PM
I much prefer iWork but yeah.....that works too!

someguy
Feb 18, 2008, 03:03 PM
Like others, I would go with iWork if possible. Pages is great for making flyers (and very easy, too). You'll be done in no time. :)

Blue Velvet
Feb 18, 2008, 03:03 PM
The first thing you have to decide is how you're going to print and fold it, if it has folds. Are you going to send it to a bureau or are you going to print it at home yourself? This will determine how the artwork should be put together.

andy.barron
Feb 18, 2008, 03:08 PM
I would imagine A5 & cut the printed sheet in 2.....

mudnuri
Feb 21, 2008, 09:45 PM
Well, I came home from work and opened up Word and used the help guide. From there I was able to make this and copy it to photoshop.
Then I came to a standstill because I wondered what the printer needs?? LOL!
I will find out I guess from a printer as to what they need from me?
Brian

Krebstar
Feb 21, 2008, 10:12 PM
Get yourself Illustrator and go crazy. :)

Or just do what the others have said since it's a much cheaper route.

jerryrock
Feb 22, 2008, 10:34 AM
Get yourself Illustrator and go crazy. :)

Or just do what the others have said since it's a much cheaper route.

Illustrator is not a page layout program. InDesign and Quark XPress are the ideal programs for creating brochures.

dpaanlka
Feb 22, 2008, 10:37 AM
I would go with Pages... much less expensive than InDesign and QuarkXPress, and much more of what you're looking for than Word.

Illustrator is not meant for this kind of thing.

MrSmith
Feb 22, 2008, 10:49 AM
I've looked at Swift Publisher (http://www.belightsoft.com/products/swiftpublisher/overview.php) but haven't used it so I can't comment on it. For information only.

IgnatiusTheKing
Feb 22, 2008, 10:52 AM
If you have the means to get a program like InDesign and the desire to learn it, I'd go for that. Sounds like you'd be better off in Pages, though. Your print shop is probably just going to want a PDF.

tuxtpenguin
Feb 22, 2008, 10:53 AM
Another vote for iWork, although I have used Word for this in the past.

Cleopatra
Feb 23, 2008, 01:06 PM
Hi Mudnuri, I use InDesign every day at work. But for your use I will recommend Pages (iWork), and please don't use Word.

Some templates in Pages:

mudnuri
Feb 24, 2008, 03:40 PM
I made this with Word/Photoshop.
I still don't know what the printer wantsd, but I did a "save as" in PDF as well.
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f327/bfmorris/flier3sm.jpg

This is NOT the final. Just learning how to do it and make it to where it grabs some attention.
Thank you all for your help.

dpaanlka
Feb 24, 2008, 03:50 PM
I made this with Word

You certainly did!

Please, take our advice and stop using Word right away. I can't even bear to look at that much less read it. And I'm usually not that harsh.

If you don't want to pay the $79 for iWork, at least go download Scribus (http://www.scribus.net/), which is free.

Here is some advice:

Less is more.
Pretend Word Art does not exist.
Use only one or two fonts that compliment each other.
Large areas of solid color are also good.
Red and orange text on red and orange backgrounds causes everything to blur together.
Why are the age ranges of prospective attendees the most dominant thing?

CanadaRAM
Feb 24, 2008, 03:56 PM
Pls Pls Pls lose all of the type effects, shadows, bent and angled text, etc.
Reserve the coloured fills and shadow for the organization logo only.
Let the text breathe -- there should be ample 'white' space around text so it doesn't compete with other text or graphic elements.

Remember - the first responsibility of a design is to convey information. So it has to be readable to the audience. Does the design pass the test of readability?

skinnylegs
Feb 24, 2008, 04:05 PM
No offense but I would heed the words of the two posts directly above me. More is not always better. :-)

dpaanlka
Feb 24, 2008, 04:11 PM
If the original poster posts a copy of that logo I might try and whip something up.

That thing is just so awful I feel compelled to do so.

skinnylegs
Feb 24, 2008, 04:13 PM
If the original poster posts a copy of that logo I might try and whip something up.

That thing is just so awful I feel compelled to do so.That is really kind of you. I hope the OP takes you up on the offer.

dpaanlka
Feb 24, 2008, 04:24 PM
While they're at it they should probably fix that logo up as well. The circular badge has a nice classic look to it but the 1980s rainbow "FTR" and silly cursive Florida "Trail Riders" text is a bit much.

They should just stick to the circle badge, and simple clean text version of the name next to it, if they must.

skinnylegs
Feb 24, 2008, 04:29 PM
While they're at it they should probably fix that logo up as well. The circular badge has a nice classic look to it but the 1980s rainbow "FTR" and silly cursive Florida "Trail Riders" text is a bit much.

They should just stick to the circle badge, and simple clean text version of the name next to it, if they must.Agreed.

BTW.....I think you would have a field day if you went to their website. LOL

klymr
Feb 24, 2008, 06:04 PM
…make it to where it grabs some attention.

Hope I'm not being too harsh, but this is probably grabbing the wrong attention. :eek:

tothelimit
Feb 25, 2008, 09:50 AM
typical printer specs:
300+ dpi (or vector)
CMYK color mode
1/8" Bleed (area around edge that will be cut off, but allows for color to extend to edges)
1/8" Additional Margin (to allow for cutting inconsistencies)
Flattened .jpg of .tif format and/or .eps (with fonts outlined)

VERY FEW (IF ANY) full color commercial printers will accept any ms word, iwork, publisher, etc... format - or pdf's generated from these programs, as they rarely meet print-ready requirements.

dpaanlka
Feb 25, 2008, 12:14 PM
typical printer specs:
300+ dpi (or vector)
CMYK color mode
1/8" Bleed (area around edge that will be cut off, but allows for color to extend to edges)
1/8" Additional Margin (to allow for cutting inconsistencies)
Flattened .jpg of .tif format and/or .eps (with fonts outlined)

VERY FEW (IF ANY) full color commercial printers will accept any ms word, iwork, publisher, etc... format - or pdf's generated from these programs, as they rarely meet print-ready requirements.

What does this have to do with anything?

IgnatiusTheKing
Feb 25, 2008, 12:23 PM
What does this have to do with anything?

The original poster mentioned that he didn't know what to give to a printer.

dpaanlka
Feb 25, 2008, 12:29 PM

I'm sure by "a printer" he means Kinkos or the like, which does accept PDFs.

Shoesy
Feb 25, 2008, 01:11 PM

I work in a Mail Boxes Etc., (that's British for UPS store) and I would love just one person to give me a pdf made with iWork. I usually have to print a random collection of word art and colours much like the one posted above.

Isn't word-art great! Answers on a postcard to:

I ruined the amateur design world with word for windows
William Gates
My Blinkin' great Hill
America.

IgnatiusTheKing
Feb 25, 2008, 01:25 PM

Probably right. The printer I work with takes PDFs, as well (in fact, prefers them unless there is a problem). I think the point, though, was that programs like Word aren't going to generate a high-res, four color PDFs.

tothelimit
Feb 25, 2008, 01:46 PM
i'm glad someone else caught that.

the OP didn't specify either way...

if they are going to use kinkos to run what amounts to a bunch of digital photocopies, they can give them whatever they want.

if they are going to have flyers made with a commercial (4 color process) printer, they will need to provide print-ready artwork or pay the printer to make adjustments. i was just giving some insight as to what might be expected.

don't get me wrong, i'm not bashing anyone here or their ideas. pages is a great application. i prefer it to ms word any day of the week. and it definitely has great uses. but it just isn't a print-design application.

Probably right. The printer I work with takes PDFs, as well (in fact, prefers them unless there is a problem). I think the point, though, was that programs like Word aren't going to generate a high-res, four color PDFs.
CORRECT - i didn't say printers won't accept ANY pdf's. but pdf's generated by word processing applications EXTREMELY RARELY meet print specs.

JasonElise1983
Feb 25, 2008, 02:42 PM
I made this with Word/Photoshop.
I still don't know what the printer wantsd, but I did a "save as" in PDF as well.
snip
This is NOT the final. Just learning how to do it and make it to where it grabs some attention.
Thank you all for your help.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: i just can't...uhmm....i don't...well...:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: sorry. i think that's all i got. there is just way too much bad going on there. WAY too many fonts, really bad color choice, too many text effects (i prefer none), no visual hierarchy, i don't think i can say one good thing about it. sorry again, really...i am

-JE

mudnuri
Feb 26, 2008, 09:56 PM
LOL! No offense taken whatsoever. It is my first attempt ever at doing anything like this. I found you guys through a Google search. I found out how to do that flier the same way. At least I am trying. LOL! I really appreciate the help.
I was referring to a real printer like taking a Zip disk to one. So the info from tothelimit was dead on, thanks.
I was laughing at the reaction from you all. It is an abortion to say the least.
The logo is something I took from the home page of the website. The Orange represents the arrows we have to follow out in the woods. They are Orange with a Black tree as an arrow. Everything else was me playing with Word Art. I take it you don't like Word Art. LOL!!
I will buy something. I am not cheap. I am broke, but not cheap. :)We are doing this for the kids so it is worth it to me. Last year we raised money for children's brain cancer research.
The state of Florida has seen so much growth so fast, all the riding areas have become living areas. The state is asking for help from our club to promote a family image for motorcycle/ATV-off-roading.
Thank you again for your honesty. Brutal as it was. hehehehe

klymr
Feb 26, 2008, 10:18 PM
Well, at least you are enjoying this all. Take what we are telling you to heart. Remember, you can't achieve greatness all at once. It takes hard work, and it sounds like you are willing to put in the effort. Give round two a go and come back for the battle again, lol. Good luck.

And remember, one or two fonts and less is more. ;)

STLSigns
Feb 27, 2008, 04:50 AM
Ok, so I have never tried this before here but Im trying to attach a .gif file to this to help with your logo needed for your flyer. Hope it works out ok.