Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unage85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2003
Sydney
One of the features listed on the Apple site was thata QuickTime could play VCDs. I just wanted to ask if anyone can test this before I go out and buy Panther. Um, there are 2 types of VCDs. I'm thinking Panther might only play the normal ones because the SVCD is mpeg2 and everyone knows QuickTime chucks a crap with mpeg2 files. Thanks!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I remember submitting a feature request a couple of months ago for both VCD and SVCD playback support. So I'll be happy if they're supported, I won't need to keep using VLC.

hugov

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2003
Um... VCD's work fine in qt/panther. I know what you mean about qt screwing up mpeg 2, and it seems SVCD's (the mpeg 2 sort) are still unsupported. VLC will do the job for now.

hugov

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2003
i dont think so cause i have Final Cut Pro 4 which includes compressor which (i think) has the mpeg2 component for qt....the flile just wouldnt load when i tried it.

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
go to store.apple.com and purchase the mpeg-2 playback codec for quicktime, or use VLC. VLC works great is is cheaper than the reasonably priced mpeg2 codec. I use VLC to watch all my macgyver episodes.

switchingGeek

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2003
Dallas, Texas
Try Mplayer

Not to sound like a shill or anything, but Mplayer for OS X plays every file format I've been able to throw at it so far. Pixlet support may not be in yet though...

mplayerosx.sourceforge.net

Check it out!! and it's got full-screen, which QT does not have (Stupid idea on Apple's part IMHO).

Also if you install DVDibbler, you can rip any DVD, it uses the mplayer/mencoder binaries that come with mplayer OS X.

Have fun!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.