PDA

View Full Version : What The Hell No Usb On Mba Superdrive!!!

lewisozz
Feb 18, 2008, 01:05 PM
Why the hell did apple not put USB Ports on the MBA Supersdrive.When you lokk at the superdrive i am sure they could have fitted a couple of USB PORTS on the side or the back. Save us carrying around a chunky USB Hub !!!!! So a 3 pound laptop is now a 5 pound laptop with the superdrive,usb hub,ethernet adaptor and other !!!!!!! WHY APPLE WHY ???? ANY SUGGESTIANS ???

ctt1wbw
Feb 18, 2008, 01:11 PM
Maybe the hardware devs at Apple should have asked everyone on these forums.

tdhurst
Feb 18, 2008, 01:19 PM
Then they would have had to build a hub into the drive, possible increasing its size and weight.

My god, if you don't like it, why did you even buy it?

And isn't the whole point of a MBA to NOT have to carry around the external dvd drive? If you really need constant access, perhaps a MB would have been a better option.

I use my 12" powerbook extensively, and it's rare that I use the optical drive for anything, making the MBA look more attractive by the day.

lewisozz
Feb 18, 2008, 01:24 PM
I USE IT FOR UNI SO I NEED CD/DVD DRIVE. UNLIKE STEVE JOBS I STILL WATCH DVS BECAUSE ITUNES IN THE UK DONT SELL OR RENT MOVIES:mad:

hikeNM
Feb 18, 2008, 01:26 PM
Why the hell did apple not put USB Ports on the MBA Supersdrive.When you lokk at the superdrive i am sure they could have fitted a couple of USB PORTS on the side or the back. Save us carrying around a chunky USB Hub !!!!! So a 3 pound laptop is now a 5 pound laptop with the superdrive,usb hub,ethernet adaptor and other !!!!!!! WHY APPLE WHY ???? ANY SUGGESTIANS ???

LOL

I love posts like this.

admanimal
Feb 18, 2008, 01:28 PM
I USE IT FOR UNI SO I NEED CD/DVD DRIVE. UNLIKE STEVE JOBS I STILL WATCH DVS BECAUSE ITUNES IN THE UK DONT SELL OR RENT MOVIES:mad:

So why did you buy a laptop that doesn't suit your needs when you could have purchased one that did for $700 less?

NC MacGuy
Feb 18, 2008, 01:35 PM

I watch movies all the time, don't rent/buy from iTunes and don't use a drive. Use your other Mac, Handbrake and USB Flash.

Flyer0815
Feb 18, 2008, 01:35 PM
Why would you buy the MBA and the external drive if it didn't meet your needs? My "suggestion" is to return it and get a machine that works for you. It doesn't make sense to buy a machine where the specs, pros and cons are listed everywhere, then come and whine in a forum that the super drive don't include a powered USB hub.

Do your homework before you use your credit card.

tdhurst
Feb 18, 2008, 01:46 PM

I'm going to agree with most of the other posters here...sounds like a Macbook would have been a helluva lot better option. It's not like the MBA specs were hidden until you purchased it, they were widely available.

Methinks you bought it because you thought it to be cool, rather than for any logical reason.

And for a student, a MBA seems like quite a luxury item, as it would only be really useful to someone traveling a ton.

lewisozz
Feb 18, 2008, 01:53 PM
THE MBA is for me because i dont need the processing power of the MBP and firewire or ethernet and the mb is very heavy and very unportable.all i need is a portable 3pound laptop for safari and gmail and itunes MACBOOK AIR IS THE BEST

kuwisdelu
Feb 18, 2008, 01:57 PM

I'm going to have to agree with everyone else and say return it and get a MacBook if it doesn't meet your needs.

Although I have to ask--do you have a TV? A cheap DVD player costs $30. I'm in university and that's how I watch movies... Being in university doesn't = need to watch movies on a computer. Although if you planned on using it as your primary medium for watching movies and don't have another computer...an MBA wasn't the smartest choice. But I'm guessing you have some other reasons, too.

In either case, return it and get a MacBook if you're that unsatisfied.

CalMin
Feb 18, 2008, 01:58 PM
Dude - Calm down. It sounds like a MacBook would have been a better choice for you. Complaining in these forums won't get you your USB hub on your superdrive.

Just enjoy the MBA for what it is and don't complain about what it's not. You bought it, live with your decision.

Aranince
Feb 18, 2008, 02:00 PM
There is this little thing called research. Why did you buy it expecting a USB port when neither Apple's site nor any review site claim that there was one on it? Don't blame apple, blame your self for not doing research.

saltyzoo
Feb 18, 2008, 02:00 PM
Problem solved (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1440536&CatId=392)

You may send your note of thanks on the notes line of a check written out to me.

someguy
Feb 18, 2008, 02:02 PM
ANY SUGGESTIANS ???
Sounds like you have a real problem here. Have you tried enabling Spell Checking?

tdhurst
Feb 18, 2008, 02:07 PM
THE MBA is for me because i dont need the processing power of the MBP and firewire or ethernet and the mb is very heavy and very unportable.all i need is a portable 3pound laptop for safari and gmail and itunes MACBOOK AIR IS THE BEST

Dude, now you're not even making sense.

Since when is the 5.2 lb Macbook "unportable"? Does that mean my 4.6 lb 12" powerbook is "unportable" as well? Should I stop carrying it around?

if you're so enamored about it, quit complaining.

dahcheet
Feb 18, 2008, 02:09 PM
Problem solved (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1440536&CatId=392)

You may send your note of thanks on the notes line of a check written out to me.

Does that thing output enough power? I'm not sure how a powered USB hub works but I know the MBA USB port has a higher electrical output than the standard USB port. That's why the SuperDrive only works with MBA's. Would this USB hub output the same amount of power as the MBA's USB port? Or would it only output the same amount of power as a regular USB port?

lewisozz
Feb 18, 2008, 02:10 PM
kk guys thanks for u comments i will enjoy the MBA and hope for mba super usb drive !!!! and movies coming to the uk store !!!! and appleretailguy the MBA is the only ultraportable apple makes the other are just portable. anyway it more about the weight !!!

saltyzoo
Feb 18, 2008, 02:11 PM
Does that thing output enough power? I'm not sure how a powered USB hub works but I know the MBA USB port has a higher electrical output than the standard USB port. That's why the SuperDrive only works with MBA's. Would this USB hub output the same amount of power as the MBA's USB port? Or would it only output the same amount of power as a regular USB port?

If the SuperDrive doesn't have it's own power (I thought it would), then you would need to get the version of hub that has the power adapter.

lewisozz
Feb 18, 2008, 02:14 PM

Thanks your check for 15.66 is on it way !!!!

dahcheet
Feb 18, 2008, 02:14 PM
If the SuperDrive doesn't have it's own power (I thought it would), then you would need to get the version of hub that has the power adapter.

Well, the same question applies to those USB hubs. Will they output the same amount of power the MBA's USB port does? If not then the SuperDrive is pretty much a port hog when you need it. :(

lewisozz
Feb 18, 2008, 02:17 PM
Well, the same question applies to those USB hubs. Will they output the same amount of power the MBA's USB port does? If not then the SuperDrive is pretty much a port hog when you need it. :(

Ahh good thought

Dude, now you're not even making sense.

Since when is the 5.2 lb Macbook "unportable"? Does that mean my 4.6 lb 12" powerbook is "unportable" as well? Should I stop carrying it around?

if you're so enamored about it, quit complaining.

The MBA is the only ultraportable apple makes the other are just portable. anyway it more about the weight !!!

ingenious
Feb 18, 2008, 02:21 PM

if it's perfect for you, then why are you complaining to us? return it and get the MacBook... it's better suited to your needs.

tdhurst
Feb 18, 2008, 03:33 PM
Could someone please explain the difference between ultraportable and portable? And maybe how these differences would stack up if you were, say, carrying a laptop around all day?

Spievy
Feb 18, 2008, 03:46 PM
This is getting fun to watch :D

saltyzoo
Feb 18, 2008, 03:50 PM
Could someone please explain the difference between ultraportable and portable? And maybe how these differences would stack up if you were, say, carrying a laptop around all day?

portable = can easily take it with you to most places of business without undue stress or strain

ultraportable = portable + illusion that you'll get more chicks because you have an expensive computer

Tallest Skil
Feb 18, 2008, 03:55 PM

There truly isn't one in this case. The OP is just making a fool of himself by saying "OMC, I need an ultraportable for college, not a portable (understood ", you idiots!")!" The distinction between the two as per Apple products is two pounds. If he enjoys DVDs as much as he says and needs the extra ports he should have gotten a MacBook instead of trying to look "cool", "rich"*, and "impressive" at college. Of course, I'll be getting the best of both worlds: A 3.2 Mac Pro (1.32TB/6GB/2 8800 GT with a BD/HD-DVD combo drive)* and my iBook that I already have. So I can't complain. But why would I want to? :D

Saltyzoo, you win. Exactly what I said.

*Oh, and what I said about "rich" earlier... this'll be all of my own money. I almost have enough... Retirement homes pay well!

tdhurst
Feb 18, 2008, 04:14 PM
portable = can easily take it with you to most places of business without undue stress or strain

ultraportable = portable + illusion that you'll get more chicks because you have an expensive computer

Well done.

RedTomato
Feb 18, 2008, 04:17 PM
I humbly apologise to our dear USA allies - their fond illusion that us Brits know how to use the English language has been sadly and cruelly shattered.

To lewis, may I suggest that having a 'hawt' laptop will not help with university essay writing. Also the shift and '!' key on your new MBA seem to be having problems.

kk guys thanks for u comments i will enjoy the MBA and hope for mba super usb drive !!!! and movies coming to the uk store !!!! and appleretailguy the MBA is the only ultraportable apple makes the other are just portable. anyway it more about the weight !!!

Tallest Skil
Feb 18, 2008, 04:22 PM
Also the shift and '!' key on your new MBA seem to be having problems.

You forgot Leopard's built-in system-wide grammar and spelling checker. It doesn't seem to be installed on his computer.

tdhurst
Feb 18, 2008, 04:22 PM
I humbly apologise to our dear USA allies - their fond illusion that us Brits know how to use the English language has been sadly and cruelly shattered.

To lewis, may I suggest that having a 'hawt' laptop will not help with university essay writing. Also the shift and '!' key on your new MBA seem to be having problems.

Thanks so much for your words. I was under the impression that every British kid had a stellar grasp of the English language (it WAS invented there, right), so it was tough to stomach the fact that grammar is slowly eroding on a worldwide scale, not just right here in the US.

StealthRider
Feb 18, 2008, 04:24 PM

Don't worry...the NSA heard his screaming through the 'tubes, and he's now on the terror watch list for "crimes against literacy". It'll get him a taxpayer-funded cavity search at most US airports should he ever try to bring his "OMG!!!111! UNI!!>!??!"-educated *ahem* cavity over here.

xraydoc
Feb 18, 2008, 06:15 PM
The MacBook in the sig below is your friend. This is the computer you want, not the MacBook Air.

DarthTreydor
Feb 18, 2008, 06:28 PM

maybe instead of getting a MBA, you should have gotten a MB and a gym membership.

dotcomlarry
Feb 18, 2008, 07:10 PM
For those asking about the MBA Superdrive...

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/24/confirmed-macbook-air-superdrive-does-not-work-with-other-machi/

According to Engadget, the MBA Superdrive will not work on a powered hub. The USB port on the MBA has extra power going through it to power the MBA Superdrive, which means that it won't work on other computers/laptops either.

It's a sad day when someone says a MacBook or MacBook Pro isn't portable enough, considering they're some of the lightest notebook computers on the market. Sigh. :rolleyes:

lewisozz
Feb 19, 2008, 03:36 AM
PORTABLE : A portable computer is a computer that is designed to be moved from one place to another (in other words, it is a computer that is portable). Portable computers, by their nature, are microcomputers. Early portables were unkindly referred to as "luggables," referring to their great size and weight (owing partly to the need to include a full-blown CRT monitor, as LCD technology was not yet mature). The term "luggable" is today used mainly when speaking of 17" and larger widescreen laptops.

ULTRAPORTABLE/SUBNOTEBOOK :A subnotebook is a small and lightweight portable computer, with most of the features of a standard notebook computer but smaller. The term is often applied to systems that run full versions of desktop operating systems such as Windows or Linux, rather than specialized software such as Windows CE, Palm OS or Maemo

HOPE THAT HELPS

How do you turn on spell check ? it comes up with the red and green lines but i don't no how to correct them ???:confused:

ctt1wbw
Feb 19, 2008, 03:41 AM
So the Macbook Air is an ultraportable because it is small and runs a full featured operating system. Right?

lewisozz
Feb 19, 2008, 03:46 AM
So the Macbook Air is an ultraportable because it is small and runs a full featured operating system. Right?

and its 2 pounds lighter and thinner.In the USA is "NOTEBOOK" a "LAPTOP" ???

saltyzoo
Feb 19, 2008, 04:53 AM
For those asking about the MBA Superdrive...

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/24/confirmed-macbook-air-superdrive-does-not-work-with-other-machi/

According to Engadget, the MBA Superdrive will not work on a powered hub. The USB port on the MBA has extra power going through it to power the MBA Superdrive, which means that it won't work on other computers/laptops either.

It's a sad day when someone says a MacBook or MacBook Pro isn't portable enough, considering they're some of the lightest notebook computers on the market. Sigh. :rolleyes:

I'm finding that hard to believe. If true, it's astoundingly bad design.

BrianFD3S
Feb 19, 2008, 05:50 AM
I love this thread so much I decided to finally join MacRumors.

lewisozz
Feb 19, 2008, 05:57 AM
I love this thread so much I decided to finally join MacRumors.

Thanks !!!!:):):D

tdhurst
Feb 19, 2008, 07:41 AM
PORTABLE : A portable computer is a computer that is designed to be moved from one place to another (in other words, it is a computer that is portable). Portable computers, by their nature, are microcomputers. Early portables were unkindly referred to as "luggables," referring to their great size and weight (owing partly to the need to include a full-blown CRT monitor, as LCD technology was not yet mature). The term "luggable" is today used mainly when speaking of 17" and larger widescreen laptops.

ULTRAPORTABLE/SUBNOTEBOOK :A subnotebook is a small and lightweight portable computer, with most of the features of a standard notebook computer but smaller. The term is often applied to systems that run full versions of desktop operating systems such as Windows or Linux, rather than specialized software such as Windows CE, Palm OS or Maemo

HOPE THAT HELPS

I was being facetious, but thanks for the information.

mgrad92
Feb 19, 2008, 08:42 AM

It's, like, portable to an ultra extent. Even more portable than megaportable.

YuriVoorhak
Feb 19, 2008, 09:05 AM
I love these threads too, but sometimes wonder if We Have Been Trolled (WHBT). Or alternately, if Apple's increase in market share suddenly put me in some dubious company. I actually wonder the latter quite often on here. :D

BrianFD3S
Feb 19, 2008, 10:09 AM
Thanks !!!!:):):D

No problem. It's almost as good as the 'I dropped my :apple:MacBook :apple:Air, will :apple:Apple replace it????!11!one!!' thread.

gotohamish
Feb 19, 2008, 11:07 AM

What are you studying? / Wot r u studying?

tdhurst
Feb 19, 2008, 11:24 AM

Now THAT'S funny.

lewisozz
Feb 19, 2008, 11:25 AM

Media/Journalism

offwidafairies
Feb 19, 2008, 11:27 AM

same in australia. stupid itunes store

It's, like, portable to an ultra extent. Even more portable than megaportable.

when is the superduperportable coming?

lewisozz
Feb 19, 2008, 11:32 AM
same in australia. stupid itunes store

Wonder why they dont sell them in the UK OR AUSTRALIA ??? Why do the USA get everthing first ???

when is the superduperportable coming?

2011 leaked speech on winkipedia !!!! www.winkipedia.org/leakspeech. the Macbook Airexic !!!!!

hbchad
Feb 19, 2008, 11:46 AM

Ha. Best post ever.

killmoms
Feb 19, 2008, 11:47 AM
How do you turn on spell check ? it comes up with the red and green lines but i don't no how to correct them ???:confused:

Uh, right-click? That's a Ctrl+click, or put two fingers on the trackpad and click (this might need to be enabled in System Preferences).

redsteven
Feb 19, 2008, 11:59 AM
all i need is a portable 3pound laptop for safari and gmail and itunes MACBOOK AIR IS THE BEST

apparently you also need it for playing dvds though : \

lewisozz
Feb 19, 2008, 12:01 PM
Uh, right-click? That's a Ctrl+click, or put two fingers on the trackpad and click (this might need to be enabled in System Preferences).

Thanks i did it but what happens next ???

apparently you also need it for playing dvds though : \

Not any more BBC just released there programs on itunes !!!!!!

BBC Take That Abc !!!!!

Muzzway
Feb 19, 2008, 12:13 PM
Thanks i did it but what happens next ???

The option should appear when you right click the misspelled word. If it's not coming up when you right click when it is underlined, right click and go to Spelling and Grammar -> Check Document Now. If that doesn't work, I don't know what to say.

offwidafairies
Feb 19, 2008, 12:21 PM
Wonder why they dont sell them in the UK OR AUSTRALIA ??? Why do the USA get everthing first ???

2011 leaked speech on winkipedia !!!! www.winkipedia.org/leakspeech. the Macbook Airexic !!!!!

ur link didnt work
i got all excited :(