PDA

View Full Version : How does a 1.6 C2D compare to a 2.0 CD ?

BryanLyle
Feb 18, 2008, 01:52 PM
I've tried to find some old benchmarks for the original Macbook (2.0 CD) and compare them to the MBA 1.6 C2D, but I haven't had any luck (yet). Any idea how these 2 processors stack up against each other?

Does the fact that the MBA is a Core 2 Duo chip help it's processing power vs. a Core Duo chip that has a higher clock speed?

Schmoe0013
Feb 18, 2008, 01:54 PM
i have a 2.16 core duo mac book pro, and my results on xbench for the processor were slower than the 1.6 / 1.8 c2d on the mac book air

7on
Feb 18, 2008, 03:12 PM
Core duo = 32 bit
Core 2 duo = 64 bit

Dr.Seafeld
Feb 19, 2008, 07:40 AM
Hi,
I can´t provide you with any benchmarks,but since I am owner of both models (MBA 1.6/80 and MB CD 2GHZ) I have a side by side experience:
The MBA feels a bit slower than my black MB.The animation in the dock e.g. is not as smooth as most coregraphic effects in the finder compared to the MB.
I´ve done some iPhoto testing as well: The very same picture (2.6MB size) is noticable slower when being sharpend.But over all the MBA doesn`t feel sluggish at all.It just depends on what you´re doing with it,as it is mentioned a hundred times before in forums.I love the design,the lightweight,the thinness,the so much better screen,the backlit keyboard etc.
I will defenately sell my "old" MB and be a happy camper!
Greetings from Germany,
Dr.Seafeld

BryanLyle
Feb 19, 2008, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the feedback on this. 90% of the time will be email, surfing, etc. So I don't think there will be a huge difference for what I am going to be doing with it.