Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mck9235

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
I'm trying to learn some of the basics of Cocoa by following along an Apple Developer guide. Currently, I have this Cocoa sample code that I want to run in XCode, but it simply won't let me build/run a single file.

I don't want to create a whole project, just run a simple file! Any help is appreciated. :) Let me know if I wasn't descriptive enough on anything.

Thanks

sord

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
Or you can compile with gcc.
Code:
gcc -framework Cocoa -o <output file> <input file>
(Or something like that -- I'm not by my OS X machine to test)
Not sure if this will work for applications with nibs, but for straight Obj-C + Cocoa it should. The O'Reilly "Objective-C Pocket Reference" explains exactly how to do it.

EDIT: I got off of my *** and grabbed the book - I was wrong, I can't remember which book it was that explains it.

azizane

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2006
I believe it's: gcc Filename(s) -o OutputFilename

I think you mean Stephen Kochan's "Programming in objective-c". Also not sure on applications with nibs.

Code:
Not sure if this will work for applications with nibs, but for straight Obj-C + Cocoa it should. The O'Reilly "Objective-C Pocket Reference" explains exactly how to do it.

EDIT: I got off of my *** and grabbed the book - I was wrong, I can't remember which book it was that explains it.

azizane

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2006
I believe it's: gcc Filename(s) -o OutputFilename

I think you mean Stephen Kochan's "Programming in objective-c". Also not sure on applications with nibs.

Update: sorry got posted twice by mistake :s

Code:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.