PDA

View Full Version : Its 200 horse power, It has a V6, and its 600 mhz. Thats rig...

MacBytes
Oct 26, 2003, 10:28 PM
Category: Photos
Link: Its 200 horse power, It has a V6, and its 600 mhz. Thats right. Its the iCar. Thats what happens when you pull apart an iBook and combine it with a Saab 95. (http://homepage.mac.com/michaelnunes/iCar/PhotoAlbum10.html)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

jamesatzones
Oct 26, 2003, 10:32 PM
I am going to sell my wife on this, being able to have a Mac in my car would be about the coolest thing ever...

Linkster82
Oct 26, 2003, 10:47 PM
wow. too much time on one's hands? Ever heard of an ipod to play music in your car?

jamesatzones
Oct 26, 2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Linkster82
wow. too much time on one's hands? Ever heard of an ipod to play music in your car?

But is an iPod fully integrated... We are in a high tech era and this only goes to show what the future will bring... I am going to try out something similiar soon, this is just too cool...

bloodline555
Oct 26, 2003, 11:47 PM
Thank you all for your support.

It took me about 2 and a half weeks to compleat. The hardest problem was extending the screen. I used an old paralell printer cable (due to the amount of wires included). It had 15 wires. That was a chalenge, especialy due to how close togeather the pins were.

I want to upgrade the stereo but I dont think I can get an aftermarket stereo that will work with a 1999 saab 95.... Hint hint nudge nudge. If anyone knows of a way I could upgrade it to something with good sound and some extra inputs, pass on the word.

Linkster82
Oct 27, 2003, 02:10 AM
upgrading the stereo . . . maybe in a Volvo, not a Saab.

punter
Oct 27, 2003, 02:26 AM
that's great. i've always wanted a stereo that was an lcd with all my play list on it.

Deggy
Oct 27, 2003, 03:00 AM
The only thng I would have done different is to have not hacked the machine apart and tried to get hold of a 10.2" screen somewhere, the duck tape spoils the overall effect.

I like the concept though, may look out for a second hand ibook now.

Put GPS on it and a GPRS phone and bingo :)

bloodline555
Oct 27, 2003, 10:29 AM
Funny you shuld say. I actualy do have a GPS I use with the iCar. You can see the mount for it on my dash. It is the black circular thing towards the center of the car.

As for the phone. I have a Sony Ericsson T68i. I need a second bluetooth module for the car (my module is in my tower right now). That way I can have Net access whare ever I go.

I do still have airport in the car, but the reception isnt the greatest. I plan on getting another antenna.

gwuMACaddict
Nov 16, 2003, 07:22 PM
this is pretty hot. how much did the entire set-up cost? and time? i've got an 87volvo that is just itching to be experimented with. ;)