Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
I showed no emotion and people were asking me why lol. I really had it bottled up. The guy smacked his soft drink with his hand and it spilled onto my closed MBA. Thankfully it only made a puddle on top (like 30% of the surface of the top) of the MBA near the apple logo. Couple drops spilled off to the front right of the MBA, so just along the edges did the coke touch. Nothing inside on the screen, keys, or trackpad.
I went straight to the closest bathroom and found this foam soap and paper towel. I wanted to get any remnants of the coke off, so it wouldn't get sticky or do something to the aluminum.

Flyer0815

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2007
PA
Wow that is an amazing stroke of luck that it didn't get inside the machine and destroy it. Very very lucky man. I dont know how I would have reacted... Was the guy sympathetic?

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Wow that is an amazing stroke of luck that it didn't get inside the machine and destroy it. Very very lucky man. I dont know how I would have reacted... Was the guy sympathetic?

He had a very nervous face and immediately was using his clothing to clean it off lol. I just had a blank stare lol.

Thank God it was closed! and also that the whole drink didn't spill on it.

It's working normally. It only touched the aluminum outside and like 2cm of the aluminum to the right of the trackpad. Aluminum looks great after using the foam soap. No residues or dullness from the coke.

Critical Hippo

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
If it had gotten into the machinery, the topic's title would have been "Beat someone to death with an $1800 paperweight today."

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
If it had gotten into the machinery, the topic's title would have been "Beat someone to death with an $1800 paperweight today."

3k paperweight :D

I use to have anger problems, so I stayed calm. My face showed it all though. It creeps people out when I have that face lol (one person said are you going to say something? lol). It's the serial killer kill you in your sleep face bottled up anger lol.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
He had a very nervous face and immediately was using his clothing to clean it off lol. I just had a blank stare lol.

Thank God it was closed! and also that the whole drink didn't spill on it.

It's working normally. It only touched the aluminum outside and like 2cm of the aluminum to the right of the trackpad. Aluminum looks great after using the foam soap. No residues or dullness from the coke.

If that happened to me I would not take my eyes of it...just stare.

Crossbone

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
I would of beat the guy, and made him pay for the damage. lol
I'm anal when it comes to my Apple stuff. :eek:

iJesus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Reno, Nevada
My reaction would've probably been...

*look at it for a second or two*
*eyes slowly start narrowing while slowly moving to look at the dude*
*stare at him for like 5 seconds*
(People normally get the idea at this point and start running to get something to fix the problem)
*help clean it up*
*laugh and ask him if he wanted another coke*

lewisozz

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2008
United Kingdom
Did you have apple care ???

Did you have apple care for your mba ? If you didn't and it spilled everywhere and your mba didn't work what would happen.Would apple still replace it.???

Attachments

• IMG_0085.JPG
    IMG_0085.JPG
    358.4 KB · Views: 131

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
You guys are so freakin ridiculous. Some coke spilled on top of a closed laptop and you act like a dingo almost ate your baby. What's even more funnier than the OP are the ones who are posting to console the OP. I might understand if it spilled on the keyboard.

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
You guys are so freakin ridiculous. Some coke spilled on top of a closed laptop and you act like a dingo almost ate your baby. What's even more funnier than the OP are the ones who are posting to console the OP. I might understand if it spilled on the keyboard.

Well Coke is disgusting when it gets on something and it was a close call. Could have easily gotten in if it wasn't handled correctly and fast.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Three words to live by:

BOTTLES WITH CAPS

Keep all unsecured liquids away from your electronics. Better to be overprotective than to see an expensive piece of tech turned into a paperweight because you or someone else was careless.

tuneman07

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2007
This thread made me think about a Youtube video I saw where someone poured water all over their mbp keyboard and supposedly it didn't damage it. Is that possible? At first I thought no way but I do remember my PC keyboard being fairly waterproof as it was pretty much sealed except for raised holes under each key.

My reaction would've probably been...

*look at it for a second or two*
*eyes slowly start narrowing while slowly moving to look at the dude*
*stare at him for like 5 seconds*
(People normally get the idea at this point and start running to get something to fix the problem)
*help clean it up*
*laugh and ask him if he wanted another coke*
Mega lol. That is really funny. I whole-heartedly agree.

Did you have apple care for your mba ? If you didn't and it spilled everywhere and your mba didn't work what would happen.Would apple still replace it.???
No. Apple wouldn't. Then you would grab a sledge hammer and be about to kill the dude. Suddenly, you realise that you really shouldn't kill this guy, or put him in the hospital. You should sue him $1.50 bucks more than your MBA's price and buy him a coke on the way towards your nearest Apple Store. No hard feelings. Just $1801.50

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
3k paperweight :D

I use to have anger problems, so I stayed calm. My face showed it all though. It creeps people out when I have that face lol (one person said are you going to say something? lol). It's the serial killer kill you in your sleep face bottled up anger lol.

Um, don't use it next to an open drink? ;)

Honestly if this happened to me I don't know what I'd do. I've never spilt anything on or dropped my laptops. I guess if it still works ok, don't worry about it? But man that sucks, you could always sell it on ebay and buy another one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.