Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Pros-
- Caching issue resolved
- No more squeaking on secure sites
- Seems faster

Cons-
- Some text appears "flattened"

Anybody else have other experiences?

JonasLoaf

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2003
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Interesting. Were you having to change Safari's user-agent ID via the debug menu before to get it to work?

No. It didn't work at first, but it started to with one of the builds (in the 60's I think). But now it doesn't work at all.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Oddly enough, my online banking just started to work! It has always been hit or miss on the Mac--not just in Safari, IE would crash on by bank's site too. It was so bad I was using Mozilla in VPC to do my banking. It seems to be working great now.

tduality

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2003
Zurich, Switzerland
Safari doesn't accept any key strokes any more. I cannot enter any data in the URL and Google fields. Also not into any field within a web page.

This is the only application behaving like this.

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
Are you sure that the caching bug has been fixed? There's a database website that I know of that does searches via CGI scripts, and whenever I enter a new entry, Safari brings back the results of the old search. It's really aggravating.

It could be resolved for regular HTML pages, but I don't think it's resolved in all cases.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I haven't tried it yet on any cgi based sites. Thanks for pointing that out.

It's definitely fixed on MR, which makes me happy. ;)

switchingGeek

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2003
Dallas, Texas
Safari does not work if Saft is installed. But once it is deleted it works fine. The first time around, I did an upgrade, and since Safari stopped working, I gave up and did a clean install. I installed saft and Safari stopped working.. I deleted it and was fine again...

So make sure you did not install any 3rd party apps for Safari.

tduality

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2003
Zurich, Switzerland
Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa

Originally posted by tduality
Safari doesn't accept any key strokes any more. I cannot enter any data in the URL and Google fields. Also not into any field within a web page.

This is the only application behaving like this.

It's not like none of the pundits here and any other Mac sites wouldn't have suggested to make a clean install. I heared it but didn't follow their advice.

So I made a clean install on my second disk and everything is just fine. And now Panther rocks on my good old PM G4 400. Fantastic.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
No Jag Safari Update

So why haven't they upgraded Safari for Jaguar...

As OS X users, the majority of us do upgrade to the next big decimal... But if you take each Windows update (98, 2000, XP) they still update IE for all their systems.

So Apple, Update Safari for the other 10.x users :p THANK YOU :eek:

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
Upgraded first. To many problems. So I did an erase and clean install. Now my dp 1.25 goes to sleep, but will not recognize my keyboard or mouse on wake up. So, it's like it is frozen. Unpluging and plugiing back in does not help. Any sugestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.