PDA

View Full Version : Should I make bash the default shell? and how?

friendlyghost
Oct 27, 2003, 01:39 AM
tcsh is the default shell in panther.
Should I make bash the default shell? why? if so, how do i make this change?

alset
Oct 27, 2003, 02:00 AM
Unless you have a reason to switch (you already know bash or need bash tools for coding) I don't see why. Besides, if you pick up a book on OS X it will likely assume you are using tsch.

I think you would change it by switching the Terminal Preferences to open with
/bin/bash
but I am not certain. Maybe someone else can clear this up?

Dan

friendlyghost
Oct 27, 2003, 02:06 AM
I suppose my interest in bash stems from the fact that all my servers are linux. I believe linux uses bash, so it would be adventagous for for me to have the same shell on both.

bankshot
Oct 27, 2003, 02:16 AM
Actually, bash IS the default shell in Panther. I had to change mine back to tcsh. :p

To change shell, simply type 'chsh' at the command line. Changing it in Terminal preferences doesn't affect ssh logins, but chsh does. Presumably you would want it to affect both. And unlike in Jaguar, Panther's chsh actually works. :rolleyes:

alset
Oct 27, 2003, 02:33 AM
Can anyone inform how different the two are from a non-coding stance? I like to play around with the system for a good time. I execute strings that I see on OS X sites, but nothing deep down. Will I want to replace my books with bash books, or will a tinker-only guy like me even notice the difference?

Dan

tam
Oct 27, 2003, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by alset
Can anyone inform how different the two are from a non-coding stance?
Dan
10.3 is on the way, but in 10.2 the only thing I noticed is the default setting for tab-completion. With tcsh it's TAB and if there are several options then to see them it's ctrl-D, in bash it's just one more TAB.
If you paste code with loops in them they usually differ, so be careful. :)