Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandyClaws

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
Virginia
Hi all,

I have a Rev B PB G4 12" that currently has a busted/non-working superdrive. I want to transfer my files and settings over to my MBA however am not sure how to do so.

I am still running Tiger on the PB and as stated the superdrive does not work.

Anyone have any other solutions on how to transfer stuff over to the MBA?

Thanks.

Kris
sandyclaws@mac.com

profiteor

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
Hm, this is slightly difficult since you don't have 10.5.2 on the PB, and you need the Migration Assistant in that or on the MBA's restore DVD to do network -enabled migration.

If you have access to another computer, see if you can't grab the installer package off the MBA's restore disc and transfer it to the PB. Remember to zip it first (unless it's a Mac) since it's a .pkg and really a folder.

If you had an external HDD that was both USB and Firewire you could clone or copy things to it from the PB, then attach it to the MBA via USB.

Other than these, I can't think of anything else easy.

zanoii

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2008
Sweden
Hi all,

I have a Rev B PB G4 12" that currently has a busted/non-working superdrive. I want to transfer my files and settings over to my MBA however am not sure how to do so.

I am still running Tiger on the PB and as stated the superdrive does not work.

Anyone have any other solutions on how to transfer stuff over to the MBA?

Thanks.

Kris
sandyclaws@mac.com

I'm in the exact same situation, although my PB G4 runs Leopard.

I suggest you get a cheap external DVD-burner (USB). I bought a Samsung SE-S184M DVD±R DL with Lightscribe for less than $70 (in Sweden though, your price may vary but will most likely be lower). It's not beautiful to look at, but it does its job well and it's not plain ugly either. Plus it's way cheaper than the Air Superdrive (which won't work on your PB anyway).

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
I had the same issue. External HDD was the only practical way to move several gigs. Wifi (g) was too slow.

John Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
Columbia, MD
There's an issue you may need to watch out for if (like me) you have a first generation PB12 without USB 2.0. Since such a PB12 can use only Firewire, and the MBA can use only USB2.0, you will need an external HDD with both Firewire and USB 2.0 interfaces.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
There's an issue you may need to watch out for if (like me) you have a first generation PB12 without USB 2.0. Since such a PB12 can use only Firewire, and the MBA can use only USB2.0, you will need an external HDD with both Firewire and USB 2.0 interfaces.
If you have the money, that's the option I'd go with. That way once your migration is done you can use Time Machine (which is a life saver).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.