PDA

View Full Version : BluRay/HD-DVD to Apple TV??

smilinmonki666
Feb 19, 2008, 12:13 PM
Ok, Today has been the announcement of HD-DVD being dropped by Toshiba.... Great. Good job I couldn't afford to but too many films in the HD-DVD format... grrr :@

So. I have a minor collection of HD-DVD's and would like to put them in my library as too when I get my BluRay films. Has anyone achieved this.

I've heard of people downloading the content they already in in .mkv extention & converting them to :apple:TV friend formats but I would rather have control on the quality of my rip. I know that this is somehow illegal or something but the way I see it is that I have brought the product & I'm dead against pirated material.

Has anyone achieved this on Mac or PC? I use DVD Decrypter/ Mac The Ripper for my standard def DVD's.

Any help is very greatfull. Not bothered about putting them on my iPod. Just for my :apple:TV.

Cheers in advanced.

jhsfosho
Feb 19, 2008, 12:58 PM
Im curious about this as well. I have the 360 HD-DVD add-on and the Mac recognizes it fine. In fact XP recognizes it as well through bootcamp. My question is this: Can I rip my HD DVD's to my hard drive and then convert them to a more usable format? Or can I burn them onto a blu ray disc to play in a blu ray player? Using Mac or XP?

spice weasel
Feb 19, 2008, 01:00 PM
I'm not 100% certain, but AFAIK, ripping HD-DVDs requires Windows for now. You'll need an HD-DVD drive connected to your computer (Mac users use the XBox 360 external USB drive) and SlySoft's AnyDVD ripping software. On a PC, other drives and rippers should work too, but I know that this is a favorite combo, since the XBox 360 drive works with the Mac.

Then you need to encode. Someone else will have to chime in here, since I don't know what formats you can encode HD content to. I know most use the mkv container, but non-hacked ATVs don't support that.

smilinmonki666
Feb 19, 2008, 01:03 PM
I've just downloaded AnyDVD (www.slysoft.com/anydvd.html) & just ripping a HD-DVD now whilst I try to do my Course work & Research :P

Would be really good if we could via Visual Hub with the AC3 passthrough like normal DVD's. I Just don't want my Disc's damaged. You found anything out jhsfosho?

wmealer
Feb 19, 2008, 01:23 PM
I know that this is somehow illegal or something but the way I see it is that I have brought the product & I'm dead against pirated material.

But if you're looking to circumvent copy-protection, you apparently don't mind violating the DMCA. Interesting how law only applies when it's convenient. The law is the law whether or not we think it's fair. Maybe we see a difference between pirating and fair use, but the law doesn't.

I'm right there with you, pal. I just found it funny how we pick and choose the laws by which we see fit to abide.

jhsfosho
Feb 19, 2008, 01:37 PM
Well, I'm unable to try anything because I'm out of the country for the next 4 months. From what I've read, we can use AnyDVD HD to rip the HD file to a hard drive, and then I think Nero will be able to burn it back to a HD disc or a blu ray disc. As far as encoding goes, I haven't looked into that too much yet. But I will be sure to post back here if I learn anything.

Be sure to keep us posted in this thread also.

smilinmonki666
Feb 19, 2008, 01:45 PM
I agree with what your saying about the laws. Its just pants on what we can & can't do. How did it change with CD's. As I seem to remember that you were not allowed to copy CD's at one point then I'm sure it changed to being allowed as long as you had 'Back-Up' written on the CD??

Getting back to the matter in hand :P I'm ripping a HD-DVD now, but still can't find any software to do so? Apparently Visual Hub does so, but with no audio, but that was before the 'AppleTV 5.1' preset?

Surely someones done this as there are plenty of .mkv file types for HD films???

jhsfosho
Feb 19, 2008, 02:46 PM
I've done some research and just came across DVDFab Platinum (http://www.dvdfab.com/dvd-fab-platinum.htm) for Windows

It looks like it can rip a HD DVD or Blu Ray to a mp4 or WMV file.

Otherwise it is discussed (sort of) here.
Link (http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1093379&postcount=1)
Though that is for burning a HD DVD to Blu Ray.

Can anyone try the DVDFab program and let me know if it works? If it does it is definitely the easiest method.

smilinmonki666
Feb 19, 2008, 03:11 PM
I've done some research and just came across DVDFab Platinum (http://www.dvdfab.com/dvd-fab-platinum.htm) for Windows

It looks like it can rip a HD DVD or Blu Ray to a mp4 or WMV file.

Otherwise it is discussed (sort of) here.
Link (http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1093379&postcount=1)
Though that is for burning a HD DVD to Blu Ray.

Can anyone try the DVDFab program and let me know if it works? If it does it is definitely the easiest method.

I've used this before but it doesn't convert it like VH or HB as it doesn't allow for an 'AppleTV 5.1 option from what I can remember?

However, I will try it again?

jhsfosho
Feb 19, 2008, 03:26 PM
Sorry, I don't know if it will work correctly with ATV with 5.1 But I think its closer/easier to do this and then use VH to convert it to a file that the ATV can more easily recognize.

I really wish I could try this myself.

PS. I myself am more interested in converting to Blu-Ray or a file playable/streamable to the PS3 or Xbox 360.

This (http://www.ultimate-dvdr.com/tutorials/16219-evo-mp4-ps3-xbox-pc-playback.html?garpg=2) tutorial is another one I found that may be helpful.

smilinmonki666
Feb 19, 2008, 04:02 PM
Cheers jhsfosho, just trying the tuturial. Will let you know how I get on? Apparently BluRay & HD-DVD have the same file extention which is .EVO/.EVOB.

Would be nice to know if the HB or VB team are looking into this? Just for ease of converting if anything?

smilinmonki666
Feb 20, 2008, 01:07 PM
OK, at the moment, I've managed to rip HD-DVD's to my HDD. Tried a converter wich worked, but not fantasticly. Picture quality was awfull. Was like watching digital tv....

Just going to rip the HD-DVD's to the HDD for the moment until something pops up.

:@

Shame. Got a few HD-DVD's on the HDD ready to be converted.

Scarpad
Feb 20, 2008, 01:10 PM
What's the point of this however? If you do rip and convert it to a High def format that the Apple TV can support, you almost might as well just rip the standard DVD to that format

smilinmonki666
Feb 20, 2008, 01:34 PM
The :apple:TV supports 720p & 5.1 Audio, so, there is a point. You always notice the difference. Plus I'm a snob with quality. So if I can put HD films I own onto my iTunes collection, then I will. Plus I hate the fact of having disc's scratched.

dogtanian
Feb 20, 2008, 01:56 PM
But if you're looking to circumvent copy-protection, you apparently don't mind violating the DMCA. Interesting how law only applies when it's convenient. The law is the law whether or not we think it's fair. Maybe we see a difference between pirating and fair use, but the law doesn't.

I'm right there with you, pal. I just found it funny how we pick and choose the laws by which we see fit to abide.

When laws are based on the greed of corporations and not designed for the safety and protection of the public, then I really do not care what-so-ever. If someone wants to port their DVD's to their home media centre without some ridiculous DVD caddy then so be it. I really have no sympathy for the studio's:

Warner Bros: $11.7 billion USD (2007)
Sony Pictures: $6.6 billion (2005)
Paramount: $3.0 billion USD (2005)
Lionsgate: $976.74 Million USD
DreamWorks: $2.8 billion USD (2006)
Disney (inc Pixar): $65.6 billion USD (2006)

(Annual revenue)

I'm not suggesting the more a company makes the more we should try and 'rip them off' but I don't class ripping my DVD's for use with Apple TV 'ripping off the studio's'.

(Democratic!) governments should make laws, not private companies.

wmealer
Feb 20, 2008, 02:08 PM
While I agree with you to a small extent, you can't really classify the studios as greedy simply because they lobby for laws to protect their own interests. Almost all of us with jobs work for companies whose sole purpose is to turn a profit.

dogtanian
Feb 20, 2008, 02:20 PM
While I agree with you to a small extent, you can't really classify the studios as greedy simply because they lobby for laws to protect their own interests. Almost all of us with jobs work for companies whose sole purpose is to turn a profit.

Hopefully every companies purpose is to turn a profit! I have a problem with the consumer being spat on. After paying £25.99 for your Blu-ray Disc or £14.99 for your latest DVD release, you are confined to endure piracy ads which they foolishly believe will dissuade someone from sending it across the net, desperately trying to convince you pirates are also funding terrorists. I'm sorry but Mr Biggs down the market ain't funding terrorism, he's funding his habit.

In response to the OP, I didn't think there was any real support for HD Disc's in Mac OS X which is pretty annoying. There will be soon though.... hopefully!

jhsfosho
Feb 20, 2008, 02:45 PM
OK, at the moment, I've managed to rip HD-DVD's to my HDD. Tried a converter wich worked, but not fantasticly. Picture quality was awfull. Was like watching digital tv....

Just going to rip the HD-DVD's to the HDD for the moment until something pops up.

:@

Shame. Got a few HD-DVD's on the HDD ready to be converted.

What method did you use? I read somewhere that for a high quality conversion it can take up to 80 hours!!! :confused: So I, too, will probably just rip my movies to my HD until processors get faster and come down in price. Hopefully there will still be newer and better methods developed for a dead format, though even that could be a problem as only 1.3 million people have HD DVD players.

wmealer
Feb 20, 2008, 03:09 PM
Hopefully every companies purpose is to turn a profit!

Nice try but sorry, over here in the US, we have what are commonly known as "charitable organizations" and "non-profit organizations." Ring a bell? As incredible as it may sound to you, some people are actually employed by such entities, and earn a rewarding living doing so -- both financially and otherwise.

northy124
Feb 20, 2008, 03:16 PM
Nice try but sorry, over here in the US, we have what are commonly known as "charitable organizations" and "non-profit organizations." Ring a bell? As incredible as it may sound to you, some people are actually employed by such entities, and earn a rewarding living doing so -- both financially and otherwise.

Nice try yourself But they have(And it's their purpose) to make a profit/money or they wouldn't be able to help people no matter what profit or not for profit every company has to make money or it won't survive even if it isn't for profit.

wmealer
Feb 20, 2008, 03:20 PM
Nice try yourself But they have(And it's their purpose) to make a profit/money or they wouldn't be able to help people no matter what profit or not for profit every company has to make money or it won't survive even if it isn't for profit.

Turning a profit and covering expenses are two entirely different things. Just ask the shareholders of the corporation I work for.

richpjr
Feb 20, 2008, 03:21 PM

Now we are down to semantics. A for profit company has a completely different purpose than a non-profit organization does.

In any case, none of this has anything to do with ripping HD-DVDs.

northy124
Feb 20, 2008, 03:22 PM
Well charities over in here in UK (Well some) do it to make a profit as well not just cover expenses but this is now going off-topic. BTW i don't need to ask the shareholders of the Corp you work for as i can ask the shareholders in my company.

megfilmworks
Feb 20, 2008, 03:27 PM
BThe law is the law whether or not we think it's fair. Maybe we see a difference between pirating and fair use, but the law doesn't.
Actually copyright law states very clear differences between pirating and fair use; problem is the courts have a lot of leeway in defining which is which.

NightStorm
Feb 20, 2008, 03:29 PM
Sounds like the same tired excuse always thrown around as a way to validate stealing (or "pirating", same thing) goods from one company.

Just because you think they cost too much, or even better that you wouldn't buy them anyways, doesn't make it right.

wmealer
Feb 20, 2008, 03:35 PM
I only have a problem when my choice of words is called into question. I chose them carefully because if I hadn't, I'm sure I would have been called out from the other side. If I had only realized to what extent the nits would be picked I would have stayed out of the discussion altogether.

I think my initial contribution was valid though. I found it ironic how one can take such a stand against piracy, and in the same breath inquire about alternate ways (and equally illegal) to violate the law. Maybe it's too deep a thought for this bunch.

Bowing out now...

mr_matalino
Feb 20, 2008, 03:41 PM
Turning a profit and covering expenses are two entirely different things. Just ask the shareholders of the corporation I work for.

Dude, quit hijacking the thread and answer the OP's question. No one really cares about nor has questions regarding your "non-profit corporation" here. Some people's kids...

I hope MTR soon picks up BR/HDVD support. The formats have been out long enough...

wmealer
Feb 20, 2008, 03:56 PM
Dude, quit hijacking the thread and answer the OP's question. No one really cares about nor has questions regarding your "non-profit corporation" here. Some people's kids...

I hope MTR soon picks up BR/HDVD support. The formats have been out long enough...

OK, I think I'm catching on to this whole "post on-topic" concept. All I really have to do is pretend to have some meaningful contribution by saying, "I hope... yada yada yada." and then I can be an ass to whomever the feck I want.

Got it. Thanks for the primer.

northy124
Feb 20, 2008, 04:10 PM
Sheesh WMealer what's your problem your words are questioned and you go all weird and silly about it.

dogtanian
Feb 20, 2008, 04:14 PM

Wow, what a wonderful place to live, wish we had these wonderful entities here in the UK... :rolleyes:

I don't really think thats particularly relevant regarding this issue but thanks for enlightening me ;)

mr_matalino
Feb 20, 2008, 04:14 PM
OK, I think I'm catching on to this whole "post on-topic" concept. All I really have to do is pretend to have some meaningful contribution by saying, "I hope... yada yada yada." and then I can be an ass to whomever the feck I want.

Got it. Thanks for the primer.

Glad to be of help.

Let me rephrase. I "believe" MTR will soon gain BR support. Toast already supports it if you can burn HD content. But, as stated before, programs for Windows are not plentiful either for ripping.

wmealer
Feb 20, 2008, 04:38 PM
Who are we kidding, guys? The OP's question was answered on the first page. This thread is now pretty much a free-for-all.

I admit, my follow-up posts were increasingly off-topic, but only after I felt the need to clarify after dogtanian, who had already veered the thread even further off-topic, posted a short-sighted remark that ALL companies are out to turn a profit. This has nothing to do with me preaching about violating the DMCA, nor non-profit organizations. I don't care if you break the law, and I don't care if you give to charity. Heck, I rip my own DVDs, and I work for a multi-billion-dollar, publicly traded corporation in this cradle of capitalism that is the United States. Let me be clear: I am not preaching to, or judging, anyone.

And to think, this all started with a humorous observation about choosing which laws we like, of which I myself am also guilty. Does nobody else see the irony in the OP's post? That's all I'm saying. Can't we laugh at ourselves, even a tiny bit?

dogtanian
Feb 21, 2008, 02:01 AM
Now tell me if I'm wrong but forums would be a boring place if we simply posted fact and no opinion.... :p

smilinmonki666
Feb 21, 2008, 10:34 AM
What method did you use? I read somewhere that for a high quality conversion it can take up to 80 hours!!! :confused: So I, too, will probably just rip my movies to my HD until processors get faster and come down in price. Hopefully there will still be newer and better methods developed for a dead format, though even that could be a problem as only 1.3 million people have HD DVD players.

Hi jhsfosho.

Getting back on topic... I've used AnyDVD to rip HD-DVD's via my xBox360's HD-DVD drive. Found a few ways to convert the films, but wasn't very good quality. The conversion really depends on your system. Like normal DVD's. All I can think of at the moment is to watch them on my 360, like my normal DVD's, but I would just like these to be used in the Main living room when we get a house. Then, when the Cinema Room is built I can select a film from its actual case. My main problem is that I don't like my disc's getting damaged or stolen. When I have kids, I want to control what they watch more.

I think at the moment, I will just carry on ripping the disc's as I am now & then convert IF anything becomes available? Which it should do in time?

Good luck your end dude, & let me know any advances.

Oh, & by the way, there is a way to convert the film, but you need several progs, and its not as fun!? :(

Let me know if you want the guide & I can email it over to you in .zip format or I could post it on here if people are interested???

northy124
Feb 21, 2008, 11:11 AM
Dr. Divx will convert to Divx from the .Evo files then use the Quicktime Pro or visual hub Pass through. Should work all ways back up videos before trying anything.

jhsfosho
Feb 21, 2008, 11:23 AM
Hi jhsfosho.

Oh, & by the way, there is a way to convert the film, but you need several progs, and its not as fun!? :(

Let me know if you want the guide & I can email it over to you in .zip format or I could post it on here if people are interested???

Yeah, you can either post the guide here, or send it to me via email. (check your PM). Hopefully by the time I get back home where I can use my HD DVD drive, there will be a good method to convert to a playable file. Maybe even with OS X.

jhsfosho
Feb 21, 2008, 11:27 AM
Dr. Divx will convert to Divx from the .Evo files then use the Quicktime Pro or visual hub Pass through. Should work all ways back up videos before trying anything.

Can anyone else verify this process? Sounds easy enough to me.

smilinmonki666
Feb 21, 2008, 12:09 PM

I'm going to give this a go tonight whilst doing course work! :)

Fingers crossed!!

smilinmonki666
Feb 21, 2008, 12:24 PM

How is this so, just tried it but no luck. Should I use a specific version??

northy124
Feb 21, 2008, 01:21 PM
You sure Hmmmmm... I'll check my version and see what one it is.

smilinmonki666
Feb 21, 2008, 01:40 PM
Cheers. :confused:

smilinmonki666
Feb 21, 2008, 03:20 PM
You sure Hmmmmm... I'll check my version and see what one it is.

still no luck. I've downloaded 3 diferent versions but with no avail :'(

DJAKO
Feb 26, 2008, 08:55 PM
Any updates, I'm in the same boat as the OP

nordesmic
Feb 27, 2008, 06:03 AM
Any updates, I'm in the same boat as the OP

I'm about to receive a really cheap HD-DVD addon and am going to try to output to PS3. The output may also be compatible with the AppleTV, depending on if the file is VC-1 encoded or AVC (h.264). The method is not for the faint hearted and requires a lot of PC software. I doubt you will be able to do it with Mac software anytime soon. There is a good guide over at Doom9 forums, I'd better not post the link.

Perhaps just go there and look for:

HD-DVD and Blu-Ray authoring>HD-DVD to Blu-Ray working guide

The steps are all the same but instead of authoring to Blu-Ray you want to re-encode to AVC with something like Nero Recode. If I can get it working I'll post back here.

StrykerGT
Mar 4, 2008, 12:50 PM
Any luck? I want to move my HD-DVD movie collection to the hard disk that feeds the AppleTV.

nordesmic
Mar 4, 2008, 08:18 PM
Any luck? I want to move my HD-DVD movie collection to the hard disk that feeds the AppleTV.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F4Z2ZGOL

Try this link. It is a guide telling you all the software and steps necessary to convert a HD-DVD to a MP4 file with 5.1 sound. I'm doing my first encode now and it will be done in a few days (limited CPU cos I'm only using VMWare).

I am converting VC-1 -> AVC (h.264) with a target bitrate of 16 Mbps. I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm confident that this method will work with AppleTV although I'm actually trying to get it to work with the PS3. I don't think the AppleTV can do 1080p though so you might have to convert to 720p.

marklight
Mar 4, 2008, 08:32 PM
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F4Z2ZGOL

Try this link. It is a guide telling you all the software and steps necessary to convert a HD-DVD to a MP4 file with 5.1 sound. I'm doing my first encode now and it will be done in a few days (limited CPU cos I'm only using VMWare).

I am converting VC-1 -> AVC (h.264) with a target bitrate of 16 Mbps. I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm confident that this method will work with AppleTV although I'm actually trying to get it to work with the PS3. I don't think the AppleTV can do 1080p though so you might have to convert to 720p.

Yea for apple TV users 16mb/s is WAY too high. Also I'm surprised that the PS3 can handle that! I know the Xbox 360 can only work w/ around 10 mb/s or so it says. I tried to watch a 10mb/s files on an xbox and it didn't work (it was .264 so it should have been fine).

jbellanca
Mar 4, 2008, 10:02 PM
Also I'm surprised that the PS3 can handle that! I know the Xbox 360 can only work w/ around 10 mb/s or so it says.

That's one of the reasons the 360 can only do 720p where the PS3 is full 1080p.

DJAKO
Mar 4, 2008, 11:01 PM
Yea for apple TV users 16mb/s is WAY too high. Also I'm surprised that the PS3 can handle that! I know the Xbox 360 can only work w/ around 10 mb/s or so it says. I tried to watch a 10mb/s files on an xbox and it didn't work (it was .264 so it should have been fine).

What's a good target bit rate for the Apple TV?

nordesmic
Mar 5, 2008, 12:27 AM

I think a good target bitrate would be something like 5-6 Mbps at 720p. The encodes that I have seen on Bittorrent using H.264 are usually 4.4 GB which is the equivalent of about 5 Mbps average for 120 minutes.

ansalmo
Mar 5, 2008, 02:37 AM

All references I've seen say something along the lines of (snipped from Mac Developer Journal):

Main Profile (up to Level 3.1) H.264 progressive video with B-Frames up to 1280 x 720 (720p) at 24 fps with a maximum bitrate of 5Mbps (5,000kbps) and AAC-LC encoded stereo audio with a maximum sampling rate of 44.1kHz.

Though they also mention:

As for the videoís maximum bitrate, that 5Mbps isnít a hard limit. The Apple TV will accept files that include data spikes as high as 12Mbps.

So stick to the 4500-5000kbps level I guess.

nordesmic
Mar 5, 2008, 09:33 PM
Just finished my first HD-DVD encoding effort. Took 36 hours using Nero Vision as outlined in the Guide I posted earlier. Video looks perfect on the PS3 but unfortunately the sound is out-of-sync. I just have to fix the framerate, so hopefully I don't need to reencode. I can't test a 720p sample on AppleTV cos I don't have one unfortunately. I'll have a go at reencoding some of the video to play in Quicktime.

basketcase
Mar 6, 2008, 12:20 PM
Related to this topic. I have been capturing 1080i/720p unencrypted content (hDef Warriors B-ball, PBS Concerts etc) from my cable set top box via firewire and a Mac Mini. I take the Mpeg2 files and convert and re-encode to H.264 using MPEG Streamclip. I scale down and de-interlace the 1080i content to 720p 24 fps at 6000k. Looks and works great on the AppleTV. Looking for a solution to rip my Blu-Ray library to to a file supported by MPEG Streamclip so that I can add this content to my iTunes library as well.

smilinmonki666
Mar 6, 2008, 04:37 PM
I've found a temp way around this...

I hate the method, but I'm using bit torrent to download .mkv files which should be retaining the exact file information/ data & then use Visual Hub to encode it into a .mp4 file with AC3 passthrough...

I just wish there was another option to do this, I hate downloading even though I'm only downloading the films I already OWN!!!

This is a joke, the guys from Mac The Ripper/ DVDdecrypter/ HandBrake & Visual Hub do a fantastic job, if only they worked on HD-DVD's & BluRay. I use AnyDVD on ripping the HD Disc's but a converter would be great. I just want one box solution, I don't really watch TV, I watch films & concerts. I don't want to spend £££'s on my DVD's/ HD-DVD's/ Blu-Ray disc's & have them damaged by others & have to spend £££'s to replace them. At least the artwork/ box set's are also kept safe as well using the :apple:TV!!!

I just wish you could do this with game's too. If MicroSoft brought out a Game Server for your xBox 36o I would buy 1 tomorrow. At least your game's never get damaged...!

nordesmic
Mar 7, 2008, 07:46 AM
I think I've finally cracked it. That is converting HD-DVD to a format compatible with both AppleTV and the PS3. I just converted a 20 second, 720p file and it is playable in Quicktime.

Here is the method I have used. Every step is completely necessary if you want your file to play perfectly. You will need a lot of Hard Disk space because the video needs to be changed into different containers 3 or 4 times.

1. Once you have ripped the Disc using AnyDVD HD you will need to use EVODemux to extract the VC1 stream and the .Eac3 audio stream.

2. Convert the audio stream to .ac3 using Eac3to. Instructions for this are included in the guide I posted a few posts back.

3. Convert the .vc1 stream to 23.976 fps using vc1conv. This is a command line tool but is not very complicated. Can be found here (http://www.w6rz.net/vc1conv.zip)

4. Then you need to go through a few steps which allow the new stream to be read by popular video encoders (I'm using Super). The process is VC12avi ---> VirtualDubMod ---> SolveigMM ASF Muxer. This guide (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=134549) goes through it in more detail. Keep in mind that each of these steps will create a new file of about 15-20 GB. Each step will take 30 minutes approximately.

5. After ASF Muxer has done its job you should be left with a .asf file. This file can be read by Super (http://www.erightsoft.com/S6Kg1.html).

6. Then just use the GUI to set the size 1280*720, framerate 23.976 and the bitrate of your choice. For AppleTV you will also need to change the h.264 profile level to 3.1 by selecting the h.264 profile button. Disable audio because we haven't got any at this stage). Also, right-click in the drop box and select "output file save management" to save your converted file in the right spot. Conversion to 720p will probably take 5-6 hours

7. Once the conversion of the video is finished you will need to mux in the audio (.ac3) from earlier. Now I'm not sure of the best way to do this but it is possible to just add the .ac3 by copying and pasting it into the video using Quicktime Pro (Add to Selection and Scale). If you save the new file you should have a 720p .mov stream with 5.1 audio. Visualhub may be necessary for AppleTV output.

I estimate the total encoding time will be roughly 8 hours from demuxing the original video and audio streams to having your file playing on your AppleTV.

gkarris
Mar 7, 2008, 08:50 AM
^^^^^^

Wow, just wow...

Thanks for pioneering these efforts.

Looks like for me I'll just wait until Handbrake cracks HD DVD/Blu discs.

I got an extra HD DVD drive for my XB360 - can't go wrong for $50. Keep as a spare or hook it up to a Mac when the High-Def version of Handbrake is finally out!