Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
A few days ago, I almost bought the 5th gen 80gb online for $190. Now it's gone and replaced with the 6th gen 80gb for $210. I love the extra battery life (<30h vs. <14h) and the non-oily coating, but I'm concerned about the interface differences.

ipodsoh7.jpg

Is there a way to make the 6th gen look like the 5th gen's interface? I have no interest in album covers, and vastly prefer the single-line menu of the 5th gen when maneuvering through large catalogs. I don't think I'll buy it if there isn't some way to get a text-based menu instaed of a graphic one; you can see how much less information you see in the image above.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
I don't think there's a way to "turn it off" but the Artists and Songs menus still have the same 9 line interface. Playlists are 5 lines with it telling you how many songs are in the playlist below.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
All right, if you can get it to look like the iPod on the right, that's good. I couldn't tell if there was a way to make artist/album/song/etc selection text-only, instead of with the mini album graphic to the side.

phoxrenvatio

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2007
i don't think you can, i've played with my sis' classic and i didn't see anything like that in the settings/options but since i like the new interface, i can't say that i looked to hard (i haven't seen my sis in about a month and a half, just read your post today).

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
Hmm...

okay, new question:

Can anyone currently holding an iPod classic tell me how many artist names can fit onto the screen simultaneously when scrolling?

If you look above, you can see nine lines available for artist or album or song listings in the iPod on the right. I'd like to know if you can fit more than the four lines you see on the left iPod on the iPod classic, or if that's impossible.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
Hmm...

okay, new question:

Can anyone currently holding an iPod classic tell me how many artist names can fit onto the screen simultaneously when scrolling?

If you look above, you can see nine lines available for artist or album or song listings in the iPod on the right. I'd like to know if you can fit more than the four lines you see on the left iPod on the iPod classic, or if that's impossible.

4 for albums, 9 for artists.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Its really not much of an issue and I think the OP is thinking too hard on this one. You can't change the interface and yes there are less names on the screen at any given moment. That's just how it is. But the Classic is thinner and the new enclosure is pretty slick. Screen is very bright, and the new UI is flashy, although I will admit that CoverFlow still is almost 100% useless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.