PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for some Good Techno!

Macmaniac
Oct 27, 2003, 07:33 AM
I make movies a lot and techno music is great for motanges, can you reccomend any good insturmental techno songs?

Mr. Anderson
Oct 27, 2003, 07:39 AM
Techno has so much range, and it can affect the mood dramatically - what exactly are you looking for? Happy, dark, industrial, house?

One song I'm currently liking for a animation is Evil Moogafooga by Spacefunk ;)

D

Iconocat
Oct 27, 2003, 01:45 PM
Two of my favourites you might like to check out are Aphex Twin and Squarepusher. Unfortunately none of their music has been added to the iTMS yet. :( I'm sending requests though!

Mr. Anderson
Oct 27, 2003, 01:50 PM
I'd love to see Paul Van Dyk added to iTunes as well....there seems to be a big lack of techno on iTunes....:(

I listen to XMRadio, even at work now, so that makes it easier to here new stuff as well. They have 3 stations set aside to techno.

D

Iconocat
Oct 27, 2003, 02:25 PM
There are some really good ones on the iTunes radio stations as well. It's so amazing to finally have iTunes at work! (I have to use a PC.) Hopefully the music store will start adding more to their electronic library! I'll be buying like crazy when it does... wait, I already buy like crazy.. I'll be buying crazi-er! :cool:

eyelikeart
Oct 27, 2003, 10:08 PM
I'm waiting for more Paul Oakenfold & maybe even Hybrid to appear. There's BT there, but only his newest release.

I think they have a way to go before being up to speed with the techno train.

jbembe
Oct 28, 2003, 09:04 AM
i've been looking for some good electronic music to put together an iPod workout playlist for biking. something with a good beat, interesting, but not offensive. I almost got the chemical brothers best of release, but didn't know if I'd like it enough. Unfortunately they don't show up on iTMS.

buseman
Oct 28, 2003, 05:15 PM
Well no offense, but most great electronica comes from Europe, and as long as the ITMS is US only, we won't see the great stuff until it gets worldwide i guess. LFO has two albums with excellent instrumental techno tunes; "advance" and the brand new "sheath". None are on ITMS, however :mad:

Knox
Nov 1, 2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Macmaniac
I make movies a lot and techno music is great for motanges, can you reccomend any good insturmental techno songs?

Do you really mean techno or rather electronic music in general? At least here (UK), techno is a fairly specific type of electronic music, is almost entirely instrumental and with quite hard beats. Good example of 'real' techno would be the music in this mix -

http://www.slamevents.com/audio/oct03/slam-pressure9-03p1.mp3 (91MB, you'd get the idea from the first 10 minutes)

I browsed through iTunes looking for some of the electronic music that i liked (Hybrid, Oakenfold, Chicane, Tiesto etc) to add to dailytunes and found very little unfortunately. Hopefully it'll be much better when the European version comes along, although whether the songs on the European version will be added to the US one is another matter, I suspect not.

sketchy
Nov 5, 2003, 03:01 PM
Good Musical Trance/Techno

DJ Tiesto - Urban Train / Suburban Train (and many others)
Rob Dougan (movie scores/Matrix)
Chicane
Moby
PPK
X-Press 2
Armin Van Buuren
naoki
drunkenmunky
darude
iio
Laut Sprecher
etc.....

syco
Nov 5, 2003, 09:34 PM
Darude = God™.

Oirectine
Nov 12, 2003, 09:25 AM
Not sure if this would fit under "techno" or the broader "electronica", but Boards of Canada makes some great music, in my opinion. In fact they're almost all I listen to on the electronica side of things.

Blaaze
Nov 13, 2003, 09:12 AM
Boards of Canada is pretty okay. For montages, I like to use works done by The Cynic Project. You can find him at mp3.com do a search.

4L3X
Feb 3, 2006, 12:46 PM
Can anyone help me figure out a song's name I have. I use 2 know the name long time ago but i cannot remember for the LIFE of me. I have the song on an MP3 file but would like 2 Download it again from a better source, If anyone can e-mail me at: Al3jandr0@gmail.com so I can send the file and listen 2 it and try 2 figure out who sang it and the name of the song, I'd greatly appreciate it! Please help me out, I don't know how 2 go about getting this info. Thanks! :confused:

~Shard~
Feb 3, 2006, 12:59 PM
If you like the BBC Radio One Essential Mixes, I have all of them, and could sort you out with some copies. With the exception of about 4 mixes, I have every single weekly mix ever broadcast since the show's inception in 1993. :eek: :cool:

frankblundt
Feb 3, 2006, 02:26 PM
The Reactivate (React label) compilations are great. Also the Nude Dimensions comps for something a bit less frenetic, or Ministry Of Sound for the poppier stuff, or the Cafe Del Mar series to send you to sleep...

Glenn Wolsey
Feb 3, 2006, 07:14 PM
Here is half of my Dance/Techno collection, you might find some of these interesting.

http://macsnpods.com/glenn/techno.jpeg

frankblundt
Feb 3, 2006, 10:30 PM
crazy frog!!! you're kidding, right? please tell me you are :confused:

Glenn Wolsey
Feb 3, 2006, 10:42 PM
crazy frog!!! you're kidding, right? please tell me you are :confused:

My sister insists I keep that on there so she can sync it too her iPod Shuffle :(

Jovian9
Feb 7, 2006, 02:08 PM
Paul Oakenfold
Sasha & Digweed
Chemical Brothers
Aphex Twin
Carl Cox
The Future Sound Of London
Fischerspooner

monke
Feb 7, 2006, 03:27 PM
Voodoo & Serano
The Crystal Method
Eiffel 65 (Europop Album, I occaisonly listen to it but not too often)

Search in iTunes for Techno/Electric related iMix's. There are loads of them, but only some are good.

~Shard~
Feb 7, 2006, 03:30 PM
Paul Oakenfold
Sasha & Digweed
Chemical Brothers
Aphex Twin
Carl Cox
The Future Sound Of London
Fischerspooner

Excellent choices! You'd probably really enjoy the BBC Essential Mixes I have of all of the above... :D :cool:

Sirus The Virus
Feb 7, 2006, 07:51 PM
Two of my favourites you might like to check out are Aphex Twin and Squarepusher. Unfortunately none of their music has been added to the iTMS yet. :( I'm sending requests though!
They're on iTunes. Aphex Twin (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist?id=39883194) and Squarepusher (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist?id=4514377) :)

Foucault
Feb 8, 2006, 03:21 PM
http://static.flickr.com/38/97278921_404a1119ca.jpg?v=0

Jovian9
Feb 8, 2006, 03:43 PM
Excellent choices! You'd probably really enjoy the BBC Essential Mixes I have of all of the above... :D :cool:

I'm sure I would. What all is on them?
I've been fortunate enough to see some of these acts live:
Oakenfold (2X), Chemical Brothers, Sasha & Digweed, & Carl Cox. The later two were okay, but Oakenfold and the Chem Bros were great. The first time I saw Oakenfold (Club Karma Chicago November '99) was incredible. I never listened to techno (except when I was at clubs) until that show. He is 100X better live than on his albums.

Dagless
Feb 8, 2006, 03:52 PM
The only real techno track I like is Scooter- Level One. It's actually a remixed version of a little known track from a little known game; Freedom from Turrican 2. the original song is beautiful and I was shocked and amazed to hear Scooter had sampled it. its brilliant! especially if you like retro games and techno (though techno-ly ;) speaking it doesn't sound retro).

I dont think its on any albums and its very rare to find so I think its a Limewire song.

cycocelica
Feb 8, 2006, 04:56 PM
Darude- Sandstorm :p

~Shard~
Feb 8, 2006, 05:32 PM
I'm sure I would. What all is on them?

Well, you can check out tracklistings of every single Essential Mix (all of which I have) right here (http://www.tracklistings.net/index1.php). :cool:

I've been fortunate enough to see some of these acts live:
Oakenfold (2X), Chemical Brothers, Sasha & Digweed, & Carl Cox. The later two were okay, but Oakenfold and the Chem Bros were great. The first time I saw Oakenfold (Club Karma Chicago November '99) was incredible. I never listened to techno (except when I was at clubs) until that show. He is 100X better live than on his albums.

Yeah, I've seen Oakie live as well, he puts on a good show - at least he used to, that was a while ago now... :o Just saw Digweed a month ago when I was in Vegas for the CES (and AVN ;)) - probably the best live set I've ever heard. :cool:

mintlivedotcom
Feb 8, 2006, 05:57 PM
http://mintdj.com

Download a mix from my friend (former bandmate).

Ctrainer
Jun 28, 2006, 01:03 PM
There is a site that makes original tech and house type music for workouts.
it's www.fitnesssongs.com (http://www.fitnesssongs.com)

AppleAce
Jun 28, 2006, 01:37 PM
The first thing I thought of when I saw this thread was this Strongbad email (http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail45.html) :cool:

electroboi
Jul 18, 2006, 01:39 PM
What do you think the #1 song in the 21st century so far is?

Macmaniac
Jul 18, 2006, 01:43 PM
Wow I just realized I made this thread 3 years ago lol!

Found some Moby I like, Call on me by Eric Prydz, some other stuff etc. I like techno like that.

iJon
Jul 18, 2006, 02:03 PM
These are my favorites that I listen to:

Board of Canada
Chemical Brothers
Aphex Twin
Daft Punk
Prodigy
Plaid
Röyksopp
Underworld
Zero 7
Infected Mushroom

...There is so much more good artists out there, I just tend to listen to some of those the most.

jon

Give me money
Jul 19, 2006, 06:44 PM
Try E Nomine and if you want a really really really good song Mittanacht (think that's how you spell it).

ziggadabuzz
Aug 3, 2006, 10:40 PM

Its really hard to find, but the artist name is Jari Ylamaki. GREAT instrumental techno. This stuff is awesome. If you can't find it, IM me, ziggadabuzz09, and I'll get it to you.

BurtonCCC
Aug 3, 2006, 10:59 PM
It's not exactly techno, but a lot more beat-oriented than their first "dance-n-roll" CD. Hellogoodbye's new CD drops August 8th. Check it out.

Daniel.

Flowbee
Aug 3, 2006, 11:20 PM
Here in the States, we tend to call all electronic dance music "Techno." If you're interested in all of the sub-genres of EDM, a great resource is Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music (http://www.di.fm/edmguide/edmguide.html). After spending some time with that site, you'll know whether you're looking for Happy Hardcore, Italo Disco, or Acid House.

Supa_Fly
Aug 4, 2006, 12:08 AM
Well no offense, but most great electronica comes from Europe...

Here is the voice of a new kid on the "techno" block.

1 he doesnt know the roots of ALL forms of house music ... sure its one thing to listen to current forms that evolved from Rotterdam (Europes 2nd Intro, their first is from Prodigy - true heads will remember "always tell you're mother when you go outside" guess that track. Or from T99).

2> He truely totally forgot that house its TRUE universal form has been around since the 70s but much to computer like to really enjoy just an experiment. But it is KNOWN that the godfathers are Kevin Saunderson (remember Inner City his project?), Derrick May, and one other who's name eludes me presently. I have the tracks to prove it on Mini-Disc and I've known DJ's throughout the late 80's (1987) to be exact till current that have been in the game LONG before then. Might I pose a TRUE musician (DJ, Producer, engineer) DJ Lil' Louie Vega (more latin as its his heritage but can bounce the skills of all other DJ's mentioned above. including Dkoze whom I met this past weekend here in Toronto; yes he was supposed to be out of town but the show was cancelled.).

3> If you dont know that before ANY of Europe's so called techno ... sorry its more Drum & Bass and Trance - DJ Tiesto only spins that crowd crap - that Detroit HOME of all house began with ACIDHOUSE its the soul the roots of Techno.

One track This is Acid. sure you new kids cant swallow that to dance to but always remember the true ppl that love the music dont need to drop or quote DJ's names; but go out to dance yes "battle dance".

Remember what the preacher said in Jacks House!
( Jack gave the power to Jack Ya Body, The Snape, The Wiggly Worm, Wok Ya Body) lmao. Man did you all know those were moves?! bet not.
Sorry a bit off topic.

@Macmaniac you got many MANY years to comb through techno. Might I suggest starting with tracks from 808 State a good foundation then go to more recent stuff from about 5 yrs ago like "STHLMSoundMachine "Beautiful People". Then get into stuff like mentioned above mine. You really need to ascertain what you flavor of Techno is (Rotterdam, Acid, Progressive, Ambient, etc); then isolate what your looking for. Again go back as you may find something specific for a specific need or sound to mix down. If you need more help find a known DJ that has been practicing spinning for a minimum 5yrs - there as quite a few tracks that still arent on CD, MP3; many of them were released on White Label 12" records that are still quality.

Good luck in you're quest.

Asswipe44
Aug 17, 2006, 02:51 PM
sweet beats from all of these. kinda hard to find full albums but worth the search. thanx for everything.

Killyp
Aug 18, 2006, 11:21 AM
Leftfield and LFO are great too. LFO is more similar to Aphex Twin, especially 'Sheath'.

zero2dash
Aug 18, 2006, 12:34 PM
Wow, several groups I like haven't been mentioned. :)

Some of these are more electronica based than techno, but good nonetheless.
4 Strings
DJ Encore feat. Engelina
Ian Van Dahl
Orbital
Massive Attack
Portishead

Some others that I've seen mentioned:
Moby
Prodigy
Chemical Brothers
Crystal Method
Dirty Vegas
Darude
BT
Paul Van Dyk
Paul Oakenfold

Bobdude161
Aug 20, 2006, 01:08 PM
I know a really good techno song. I think it goes like "em-ts-em-ts-em-ts" in the background. Dont remember the name but it goes like that. :p

~Shard~
Aug 20, 2006, 01:17 PM
I know a really good techno song. I think it goes like "em-ts-em-ts-em-ts" in the background. Dont remember the name but it goes like that. :p

Is it similar to that one that goes "boo-tss boo-tss boo-tss"? :D

Scarlet Fever
Aug 21, 2006, 07:02 AM
im not really into techno, but i love Nine Inch Nails.

Jordie White aka Twiggy Ramirez... ahh...

cygni
Sep 1, 2006, 01:45 PM

Ooooh my fave topic~! :D

A few recs...
Carl Taylor - Simplex and Atraxia
Argy - Love Dose (has a little vocal)
Ellen Alien - Naked Rain
Mauro Picotto - Alchemist ep ("new time new place" is bangin)
Booka Shade - Mandarine Girl (not techno, but an infectious track)
Check out Ricardo Villalobos, he is excellent!

Also, Beatport is a great resource for electronic music, especially to hear samples, and pretty much the best for purchasing edm tracks of all genres.

edit: ugh, I just looked at the date of the first post :(
those are still good tracks, though. :)

mactastic
Sep 11, 2006, 02:57 PM
Any Bruce Haack fans around?

whooleytoo
Sep 11, 2006, 03:54 PM
Wow, several groups I like haven't been mentioned. :)

Some of these are more electronica based than techno, but good nonetheless.
4 Strings
DJ Encore feat. Engelina
Ian Van Dahl
Orbital
Massive Attack
Portishead

Some others that I've seen mentioned:
Moby
Prodigy
Chemical Brothers
Crystal Method
Dirty Vegas
Darude
BT
Paul Van Dyk
Paul Oakenfold

D'oh!.. most of the bands I was going to mention are right there, the only others I could think of adding:

The Orb
Josh Wink
Armand Van Helden
Robert Armani (for something heavy, hardcore)
Cassius (for some to mellow out after the above)
Dave Clarke
David Holmes (some very, very catchy stuff)
Faithless
Green Velvet (great lyrics!)
Groove Armada
Motorbass
Propellorheads
Roger Sanchez
Roy Ayers
Theo Parrish
Timo Maas
Utah Saints

risc
Sep 11, 2006, 04:10 PM
artists I like (just a few from a search on my iTunes library) :

Adam Jay - he's a member on this forum
Adam Beyer
Dan Rachele
Dave Angel
Desyn Masiello
Ferry Corsten
Francseco Farfa
Frankie Bones - mmm old school, maybe a bit too old school
Gene Hoffmann
Jeff Mills
Ko Kimura
Leftfield
LFO
Marco Carola
Marco V
Orbital
Takkyu Ishino
Timo Maas
The Future Sound of London
Van Diemen

Some of the guys on this list are Australian so you may have never heard of them, and Frankie Bones is way too old school to be on this list but he's too funny so here he is.

Mcm15
Mar 21, 2007, 06:03 PM
well i have someone u might like
her name is Melissa Morris
she has one song in particular that i really like called Leave Me Alone
u should check her out:)
myspace.com/melissacmorris
:D

vaquero
May 10, 2007, 04:20 PM
I'm a bit surprised none of you have namechecked Hardfloor-listen to "respect",and see how its done.Also,Plastikman aka Richie Hawtin has made some awesome tunes. Dave Clarke anyone? The Liberators(london,acid techno),or am I getting too REAL techno here?Sure the detroit stuff is great,but it's got no legs. Respect y'all.I expext the questioner has moved on to dubstep now anyway.........I'm new to this lark.

Fezwick
May 10, 2007, 04:27 PM
Armin Van Buuren, Above & Beyond and Ferry Corsten are among my favorites.

Counterfit
May 10, 2007, 04:42 PM
The Thread that won't die.

Also, Ro'Dylin sucks. Kidding!

Also: Underworld (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist?id=996876), Massive Attack (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist?id=526404), and since the first round of posts, Aphex Twin (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist?id=39883194) is on the iTunes store.

Legolamb
May 10, 2007, 07:30 PM
In addition:
Mocean Worker
Dzihan & Kamien
Fatboy Slim
Depeche Mode
Briskey
St. Germain
Moby
The Herbaliser
Cinematic Orchestra
Ramachandra Borcar Presents The Stacked Deck
Nicolas Repac

The last two are my recent favorites, but I don't know if they're on iTunes

Winterfell
May 10, 2007, 09:25 PM
Ohhh, my, my, my. I think I saw one person recommend BT. I'm pretty sure that's a sin!

Every one of you guys should have mentioned BT! Dispicable! ;)

But really though, BT. Damned good. Perhaps the best, imo. ^-^

Sequencial1
Jun 1, 2007, 11:55 AM
Sorry if I repeat anything anyone else has said. I'm really into trance so I'll list off some of the artists I like.. I hope you like them too!

ATB
BT
Armin Van Buuren
Tiesto
Timo Maas
Marco V
Above & Beyond
C - Quence
Kyau
Paul Van Dyk
Blank and Jones

For general electronic music check out:

Jackson and his Computer Band
Pendulum
The Electricity in Your House Wants to Sing
Mouse on Mars
Pivot
Force of Nature
Solo Andata

Haha I could go on all day.. I'll stop;)

Dj BW
Jun 3, 2007, 12:57 PM
Richie Hawtin
Carl Cox
Juan Atkins
Frankie Bones
Derrick May

Phormic
Jun 11, 2007, 04:54 AM
Great names mentioned. Some more to consider...

Aspen
Amon Tobin
Autechre
Ben Sims
Black Dog (new album on iTunes)
Dan Bell
Frog Pocket
Funk D'Void
Heiko Laux
Jeff Mills
Johannes Heil
Kenny Larkin
Laurent Garnier
Marco Carola
Maurizio
Monolake
Patrick Pulsinger
Robert Hood
Steve Bug
Stewart Walker
Surgeon
Thomas Krome
Trentemøller
T-1000
Underground Resistance
Vector Lovers

It's sad that the word "Techno" is so misused. Technically speaking it originally referred to the music coming out of Detroit and Chicago in the mid to late 80's (Derrick May, Jeff Mills, Juan Atkins, Kevin Saunderson, Ritchie Hawtin, etc) but grew to encompass most electronic music, good and more often, bad. Wikipedia gives a nice summary.

Scarlet Fever
Jun 18, 2007, 01:33 AM
Blaqk Audio (http://www.myspace.com/blaqkaudio). Davey and Jade from AFI making an electro band. They aren't bad IMO.

daved
Jul 3, 2007, 12:36 AM
I dont enjoy it when people seem to class any form of electronic music as techno. This is complete rubbish....
Although it was definately the main genre from which all other idm spilled from- today it is still in its own right a specific style of idm..
some true techno artists to look at incl....derrick may, jeff mills and kevin saunderson...

OutThere
Jul 3, 2007, 02:58 AM
I think that some of the snobbery around terminology for electronic music is what turns some people off of it. I mean, there are so many this-and-that names for different varieties of electronic music, it's impossible to keep it all straight. I mean, if you ask about the terms, you either get a far too complicated explanation that leads to detroit, or you get told that you're dumb for not knowing whether something is house, techno, trance, dance, electronica, triphop or whatever.

Keep in mind, I'm a big electronic music fan, even if I don't know the obscure delimitations of how to describe what I listen to. I've been digging Gabriel & Dresden's album lately.

dogbone
Jul 3, 2007, 04:23 AM
Just did a thread search for Kraftwerk and nada came up so I recommend...

By Krafwerk...

Neon Lights
Taschenrechner
Pocket Calculator
Autobahn
Schaufensterpuppen
Trans Europa Express

dogbone
Jul 3, 2007, 04:29 AM
...I mean, there are so many this-and-that names for different varieties of electronic music, it's impossible to keep it all straight.

It's not impossible. (http://www.di.fm/edmguide/edmguide.html)

pdxflint
Jul 3, 2007, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by OutThere
...I mean, there are so many this-and-that names for different varieties of electronic music, it's impossible to keep it all straight.

It's not impossible. (http://www.di.fm/edmguide/edmguide.html)

Just checked at eMusic.com, and electronic gets broken down with these choices, and then even more choices, like geographical region under each one...
Interesting thing is, a lot of albums/artists/songs, etc. are cross-referenced in several genres... so it all does get a bit muddy, don't it??

Electronic sub-genres at eMusic.com

* 2-Step/Garage
* Abstract
* Breaks
* Compilations
* Dance
* DJ Mix
* Downtempo
* Drum 'n' Bass/ Jungle
* Electroclash
* Electronic 12-inches
* Electronic Ambient
* Electronic Dub
* Electronic Experimental
* Electronic Industrial
* Global Groove
* House
* IDM
* Krautrock
* Leftfield
* Nu-Jazz/Broken Beat
* Remix
* Techno
* Trance
* Trip-hop
* Turntablism

wakka092
Jul 22, 2007, 12:48 AM
Blaqk Audio (http://www.myspace.com/blaqkaudio). Davey and Jade from AFI making an electro band. They aren't bad IMO.

Yeah, they're ok, Jade's pulling all the weight, and Davey is just there to look pretty & sing.

Aug 13, 2007, 02:03 PM
this guy's not very well known, but i love his music. it's basically what i listen to when i need to appreciate electronic music.

http://beatdrop.paletteswap.com/

i recommend downloading "in the dark"
bd-in_the_dark-disc_..> (http://beatdrop.paletteswap.com/bd-in_the_dark-disc_1.zip) 01-Apr-2007 08:44 103M
bd-in_the_dark-disc_..> (http://beatdrop.paletteswap.com/bd-in_the_dark-disc_2.zip) 01-Apr-2007 09:21 89M

^ they're the zip files for discs 1 & 2 respectively.

enjoy.

mahashel
Aug 13, 2007, 02:32 PM
artist: Underworld
track: Cowgirl

iJon
Aug 13, 2007, 03:16 PM
Anyone here listen to Shpongle? They are playing live in my city this weekend, can't wait.

jon