PDA

View Full Version : Panther Developer Edition 7B85 versus Retail

glyndwr
Oct 27, 2003, 08:03 AM
I have Panther devloper edition's 7B85 release here on my desk right now and I'm considering installing it on my iBook.

I understand this is the same version as the retail shipping release; are there then any disadvantages to running this and saving myself 60 on Panther? Will it keep itself up to date from Software Update? Is there any other problems I should be aware of before I go ahead and install?

(To pre-empt the finger wavers: this is not warez. I work at a major UK university and our academic licence allows us to install Mac OS X developer editions on any machine used for development. Unfortunately, they don't give us the final shipping version for free, probably because we only have a handful of Macs on site. I reiterate, this is 100% legal and not a warez question.)

iEric
Oct 27, 2003, 08:55 AM
I think its alright but I'm just scared that the version might expire after a while..then what will you do? YOU'LL HAVE TO BUY IT.

glyndwr
Oct 27, 2003, 09:05 AM
Yeah, I guess I'm not going to be happy to go back to 10.2 after using it for a few months. At least I get a pretty deep discount on it if I do have to buy it though.

daveL
Oct 27, 2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by iEric
I think its alright but I'm just scared that the version might expire after a while..then what will you do? YOU'LL HAVE TO BUY IT.
This is not true. The 7B85 release available via ADC is the same as retail and will not expire. In addition, paying ADC members will be getting the retail CD set in the mail any day now; they were sent out the latter part of last week.

glyndwr
Oct 30, 2003, 03:48 AM
Can anyone running 7B85 confirm or deny that the security update released today appears in Software Update for them?

arn
Oct 30, 2003, 04:02 AM
7B85 is the same as the retail build.

I have 7B85 and the security update appeared for me, as it did will all people who have the final panther.

arn

glyndwr
Oct 30, 2003, 04:05 AM
That settles it, I'm off to install it then.

::walks off whistling casually::