Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c073186

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Using iWeb, how can I insert a hyperlink so a visitor can download a video or audio file? When I choose "File" under the hyperlink settings and click it on the published site, it just takes the user to a blank page where it plays in Quicktime in the browser. I want it to actually download on to the user's computer. How is this accomplished?

Thanks.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Well it partly depends on the browser the person is using and the server hosting the files. If a browser has a plug-in to play a file it generally will. So unless a person right clicks on the link and chooses to save, the browser will decide what to do.

Alternatively the web server can be configured to handle certain file types in a way that forces them to be downloaded. I've only read about it though so can't tell you how to do that and messing with server configurations may be out of your league or control.

c073186

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Well it partly depends on the browser the person is using and the server hosting the files. If a browser has a plug-in to play a file it generally will. So unless a person right clicks on the link and chooses to save, the browser will decide what to do.

Alternatively the web server can be configured to handle certain file types in a way that forces them to be downloaded. I've only read about it though so can't tell you how to do that and messing with server configurations may be out of your league or control.

Yeah I basically know nothing of web design which is why I am sticking completely with iWeb and .Mac. But thanks anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.