PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 will not load OS X 10.3 Panther

vanswings
Feb 19, 2008, 05:02 PM
My computer crashed and when I started to re-install my OS two things happen. Either I get a disk error message or it starts to load the OS but a third the way in the screen goes blue(bsod?) and freezes. I've run disk utility and hardware test and both comes back ok. I'm not sure what to do and I'm really not into taking it into the Mac Store but I'm unsure about the whole Geek Squad situation. Any ideas or advice would be very appreciated.

Eidorian
Feb 19, 2008, 05:04 PM
Which iBook? Did it originally come with Panther?

vanswings
Feb 20, 2008, 03:31 AM
Which iBook? Did it originally come with Panther?

Yes, it came wih Panther. It's the iBook G4-1.2GHz. It's old but it ran like a dream before all this.

Eidorian
Feb 20, 2008, 08:44 AM
Yes, it came wih Panther. It's the iBook G4-1.2GHz. It's old but it ran like a dream before all this.I hate to tell you this but you might have bad installer DVDs. Are you able to boot off of them at all? I know that they run integrity checksums before you actually install the operating system.

vanswings
Feb 20, 2008, 03:45 PM
I hate to tell you this but you might have bad installer DVDs. Are you able to boot off of them at all? I know that they run integrity checksums before you actually install the operating system.
Yeah, I was also thinking the disc might be flawed.
Would resurfacing help ?
I've only tried to do the install and the disk utilities from the 1st dvd and they both work fine. I'm not the most knowledgeable person with macs but maybe I'm missing something???

ltldrummerboy
Feb 22, 2008, 02:25 AM
I recently fixed a Wii disc using cheap toothpaste. Use your finger to rub it from the center out. Not in a circle around the disc. I know you ran Hardware test, but try booting from another CD to be sure it's not your drive.

PS- Rinse and dry well before inserting.

iHerzeleid
Feb 22, 2008, 03:14 AM
Is your CD scratched? Only other idea I would think of is that your optical drive is having trouble reading discs.

vanswings
Feb 23, 2008, 01:48 PM
I recently fixed a Wii disc using cheap toothpaste. Use your finger to rub it from the center out. Not in a circle around the disc. I know you ran Hardware test, but try booting from another CD to be sure it's not your drive.

PS- Rinse and dry well before inserting.

Yeah, I've heard about using toothpaste before. I'll try using another disc today.

Is your CD scratched? Only other idea I would think of is that your optical drive is having trouble reading discs.

The dvd has some light scratches but nothing major. :eek: Duh, I have a external dvd/cd drive that i can try using to see if i get the same results.

***holds head down in shame***:o

vanswings
Feb 25, 2008, 02:30 PM
So nothing is working and i'm going to have to break down and take it to the mac store. Now everytime I try and install the os i'm getting a can not install on this volume message even though there is plenty of space on the hd.