PDA

View Full Version : HandBrake ripping compatibility tests

Pages : [1] 2

cowm007
Feb 19, 2008, 07:13 PM
I don't know how many of you are in the same situation as me, but I have a few Apple devices I'd like to play my media on. I'd also like to have only 1 file that plays across all the platforms and has the best quality/size ratio possible. I've looked online for such a solution but found mixed results so I've decided to run my own tests using the newly released HandBrake version 0.9.2

I'm testing the files on various devices. They are as follows:

iTunes 7.6
Apple TV Take 2
iPhone with 1.1.3 Firmware
3g iPod nano with 1.1. Firmware

My hardware is a MacBook with a 2Ghz Core 2 duo and 3GB of RAM. I'm ripping chapter 1 of the "Groundhog Day" widescreen DVD which has 5.1 audio and multiple languages. For quality, I always do 2-pass encoding as it helps immensely with fast scene changes. For benchmark purposes, I get 60fps average on the 1st pass and 19fps average on the 2nd pass at the 1500 kbps bitrate.

Alright here's my results placed into a nice easy to read chart. Basically what I can gather is that the HandBrake team has done a great job in terms of compatibility and that Apple has understated the iPhone/iPod's potential. I'm happy to find that both my iPod and iPhone were able to handle the full sized anamorphic DVD rip with 4 audio tracks (AAC and AC3).

The settings I choose were based off the "iPod High" preset. My rationale for the tested resolutions is based off Apple's published iPhone/iPod specs. http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html According to them, the max resolution the iPhone can handle is 640x480 @ 1500kbps. I found out what this actually means is that the max pixel count the iPhone can handle is 307,200 pixels (640 times 480). So the 720x400 was the highest you can get a widescreen rip (non-anamorphic) and still be under the max pixel count (288,000 px).

Surprisingly though, the iPhone/iPod were able to handle the full resolution 708x466 (329,928 px) without complaints. Since the resolution limit was higher that I expected, I decided to test other bit-rates as well. I tried both 2500 and then 5000kbps. The results are as follows.

Important note: You HAVE to choose the iPod/iPhone preset first and crank up the setting from there if you want to get these high quality cross-device files. If you choose the Apple TV preset and go from there they won't work. I'm guessing it's got something to do with the advanced flags. Also, it didn't matter if I checked the "iPod Atom" flag or not. I'm not sure anymore what it's for, maybe some older iPods require it but I don't have any to test with.

Here's the results:
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/3807/picture2ff8.png (http://imageshack.us)
Extrapolating the data, the average sizes for a 90 minute movie file should be as follows:

All@1500kbps, 2x AAC: 1,188 MB
All@1500kbps, 1x AAC, 1x AC3: 1,360 MB
All@1500kbps, 2x AAC, 2x AC3: 1,620 MB
Anamorphic @ 2500: 2,340 MB
Anamorphic @ 5000: 4,000 MB

OK so conclusions. Looks like the devices can handle much more than I thought they could. I've done tests before and it used to be I couldn't get the anamorphic or the higher bitrate files to play on my iPhone. So it looks like I can start upping the quality of my rips and not worry about compatibility. On the downside, my previous rips now feel old and outdated lol.

The settings I'll probably use on movies from now on are the Anamorphic Strict setting for the highest resolution possible and 2500kbps video. I did always feel 1500 was lacking clarity on the Apple TV so it's nice to be able to increase that. 5000kbps seems like over kill to me since I can't really notice a difference between that and 2500kbps. It's also pushing the 4GB file limit people seem to run into trouble with. I'll leave the 5000+AC3 for my HD rips, those can really benefit from it.

Still not sure about audio since it only benefits the Apple TV. The size jump is also quite high for the high quality AC3 tracks. I'd rather have 2 different languages than the 5.1 surround sound with the added size penalty. But that's just personal choice.

The results are not conclusive as I have yet to try a full screen DVD and one of those ultra widescreen DVDs, but given the iPhone/iPod outperformed, I think I'll find similar results with those.

cohibadad
Feb 19, 2008, 07:26 PM
cool. look forward to your results. But it sounds like you are talking encoding tests, not ripping. Ripping refers to extraction from DVD and wouldn't directly effect compatibility with iPhone, etc.

eddyg
Feb 19, 2008, 08:17 PM
The ATV Preset turns on some advanced H.264 features that the iPods don't know how to handle.

That's why you should start on the iPod preset instead.

Cheers, Ed.

cowm007
Feb 19, 2008, 10:05 PM
The ATV Preset turns on some advanced H.264 features that the iPods don't know how to handle.

That's why you should start on the iPod preset instead.

Cheers, Ed.

Ah that makes sense, thanks for the info.

student101
Feb 19, 2008, 11:09 PM
Wait a minute... you're saying that a 5000kbps video played on your iPod?

cowm007
Feb 20, 2008, 12:15 AM
Wait a minute... you're saying that a 5000kbps video played on your iPod?

Yup, iPod and iPhone. Here's screenshot of the file info and the file playing. You can see the 5000kbps and the AC3+AAC audio tracks.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/8236/infoln0.th.png (http://img341.imageshack.us/my.php?image=infoln0.png)http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/1338/picture1ig8.th.png (http://img155.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture1ig8.png)

And here's screenshot of the file on my iPhone and the file playing.

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/2374/img0172hq0.th.jpg (http://img182.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0172hq0.jpg)http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/5530/img0173rc1.th.jpg (http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0173rc1.jpg)

dynaflash
Feb 20, 2008, 12:56 PM
Also, it didn't matter if I checked the "iPod Atom" flag or not. I'm not sure anymore what it's for, maybe some older iPods require it but I don't have any to test with.

Correct. That iPod Atom checkbox is for 5 and 5.5 G ipod compatibility.

Oh, btw, nice post. sums it up very well.

rWally
Feb 20, 2008, 01:05 PM
So will the appleTV output 5.1 audio from these files?

eddyg
Feb 20, 2008, 02:17 PM
So will the appleTV output 5.1 audio from these files?

Yes.

Note - always choose AAC + AC3, not just AC3 pass-through. That way there is an AAC track for the iPod, and also for the ATV if not connected to a Dolby Digital receiver (e.g. when connected via HDMI direct to the TV).

Cheers, Ed.

rWally
Feb 20, 2008, 03:47 PM
Will this play on a ps3 as well with 5.1 audio?

mindcrash
Feb 20, 2008, 04:18 PM
Wow, great, informative thread.

Thanks for all of the hard work here!

Superman07
Feb 20, 2008, 08:52 PM
How are you manually adjusting the settings?

If I chose iPod/iPhone and enter your resolution settings my boxes turn red.

Also, I've produced two .mp4 files (AAC+AC3) and Quicktime won't open them. Some old threads suggest that the error is due to .mp4 not being compatiable with AC3, but I thought that's what this was supposed to fix...

I did have two .mkv files work, but I didn't have 5.1 setup so I don't know if that portion of the file worked. One ended up around 3.2G and the other 1.75G. The 3.2G was clearly better, but I had used the ATV preset, so I couldn't get it to work on the iPhone (per your statement up thread - although I read that after the fact :( ).

eschulist
Feb 21, 2008, 01:51 AM
Does m4v or mp4 make a difference?

nicoska
Feb 21, 2008, 06:39 AM
Here's the results:
Extrapolating the data, the average sizes for a 90 minute movie file should be as follows:

Those settings actually don't work when sync to my iPhone.
What resolution are you using ?
Thanks

nico

cowm007
Feb 21, 2008, 12:56 PM
Those settings actually don't work when sync to my iPhone.
What resolution are you using ?
Thanks

nico
Did you choose the iPhone/iPod setting and then increase the resolution and bit-rate from there? I found that this was key to getting the videos to work. Also are you using the latest HandBrake (0.9.2) and latest iPhone firmware (1.1.3)?

nicoska
Feb 21, 2008, 01:51 PM
Did you choose the iPhone/iPod setting and then increase the resolution and bit-rate from there? I found that this was key to getting the videos to work. Also are you using the latest HandBrake (0.9.2) and latest iPhone firmware (1.1.3)?

No, i was using AppleTV setting.
Now with iPhone setting, then incrase resolution and bitrate it works.
Thanks

Nico

eddyg
Feb 21, 2008, 02:03 PM
Does m4v or mp4 make a difference?

Yes - if there is an AC3 audio track then the file extension *must* be m4v otherwise it will be deemed an invalid mp4 file.

Superman07
Feb 22, 2008, 09:36 AM
Any updates here? I tried a show at iTouch defaults, then changed to AAC+AC3. The one I tried with 2500kbps, and the other at 1500kbps. I felt that the former was significatly better, but it was 1GB for a 45 minute episode, which amounts to a LOT of HD space when you have a lot of individual episodes. The second came in at 650mb...I may try 2000 and see where at gets me, but it's taking an hour a pop so it's becoming very time consuming just to tinker around with. :(

cohibadad
Feb 22, 2008, 10:10 AM
I haven't found any reason not to use m4v always. m4v gives you the automatic chapters for :apple:TV. Are there some devices that aren't compatible with m4v that are with mp4 extension? FWIW you can just change the extension from mp4 to m4v at any time without needing to reencode a movie.

roland.g
Feb 22, 2008, 10:56 AM
Yes.

Note - always choose AAC + AC3, not just AC3 pass-through. That way there is an AAC track for the iPod, and also for the ATV if not connected to a Dolby Digital receiver (e.g. when connected via HDMI direct to the TV).

Cheers, Ed.

How much space are you saving by selecting just the AC3 pass through vs both on a typical 2 hr movie. I only play my rips to the ATV, not on my iMac and I rip at 480x res and 400bitrate for 500MB files for my phone (only select movies anyway) and since I have my ATV going directly into my receiver via optical I thought I would reduce the file size by not adding the AAC audio track. I hadn't thought about possibly needing it in the future for 2 Apple TVs hooked up to 2 different TVs and 1 maybe not having DD.

Also, I know the preset uses 2500 bitrate, what is the advantage of this. I have a 46" Samsung DLP and I can't see any difference between a 1500 and 2500 encode. So I started with the Apple TV preset, set it to AC3 only, 1500 bitrate, 2 pass and turbo 1st pass.

bacaramac
Feb 22, 2008, 08:34 PM
First off, thanks for spending the time putting this together. It is a life saver so I can have high qualify encodes for all devices I use.

My custom settings in Handbrake:

Base Setting = iPod High-Rez
Changes = 70% Constant Rate, No iPod Atom, Audio 160kbps, Codecs AVC/H.264 Video AAC+AC3 5.1, Strict Anamorhpic, 64Bit (Only if movie ends up greater then 4Gb), delete ":vbv-maxrate=1500:vbv-bufsize=2000" from advanced settings.

My Devices: Quicktime, iTunes 7.7, iPhone 2.0.1, ATV 2.1 and PS3 (64Bit does not work for PS3).

NOTES:
1) 64Bit Movies now work for iPhone 2.x.x software. YESSSS!!
2) IMO My Settings = DVD Quality and have not seen any dropped frames on iPhone.

cohibadad
Feb 22, 2008, 08:49 PM
64bit mp4 setting breaks iphone. It will sync, but gives error saying it cannot play. I tried settings all the way down to 1500 bitrate with this turned on and still a no go.

I was just wondering that. Now that :apple:TV2 can handle it, perhaps iPhone is coming next.

bacaramac
Feb 22, 2008, 09:04 PM
I was just wondering that. Now that :apple:TV2 can handle it, perhaps iPhone is coming next.

I am thinking they may add it to the iPhone, but doesn't really impact me yet since my Encodes are staying under 4GB at the moment. Guess I will have to wait and see how big the 2hrs+ movies are with these settings.

dynaflash
Feb 22, 2008, 10:37 PM
With all due respect, I wouldnt hold your breath. > 4GB video files on an iPhone ? I cannot imagine its a priority to apple as they will likely never let you rent HD on an iPhone. Otoh, who knows ?

cohibadad
Feb 22, 2008, 11:06 PM
question cowm007, you encoded with multiple language audio tracks. Is there a way to choose which of those tracks plays on :apple:TV?

cowm007
Feb 23, 2008, 11:32 AM
question cowm007, you encoded with multiple language audio tracks. Is there a way to choose which of those tracks plays on :apple:TV?

I haven't been able to find a quick/easy method to use the alternative track on the TV. It's easy in Quicktime/iTunes or even the iPhone because there's a button for it, but even selecting the audio track you want in iTunes and streaming to the TV doesn't work.

The way I've gotten around this is use the program "Dumpster" to enable/disable audio tracks in the file. It's kinda tricky though and not really user-friendly as you have to decide what audio track you want before syncing to the TV. Apple really should add this support soon.

tkermit
Feb 23, 2008, 02:13 PM
Another way is to open the movie file in Quicktime (Pro) and then under 'Properties' delete all but one audio track. Now save it as a reference file, which will only be a few KBs ...

You can import the reference file into iTunes and this way have access to a specific language.

Now, I don't have an Apple TV but this works with Front Row at least...

ipoddin
Feb 23, 2008, 10:05 PM
Alright, I'm confused about the aspect ratios and when to use anamorphic or not.

So I'm ripping Saving Private Ryan using the settings described here. The source says it's 720x480. If I check anamorphic strict it says output is 716x480 and anamorphic 848x480. So what does output mean versus the anamorphic setting and why are the two different?

If I don't rip anamorphic and keep aspect ratio the source is still 720x480 but output is 720x400. Why's that? And if I uncheck keep aspect ratio and bump up height to 480 so output matches the source, the picture looks "squeezed"

Note the DVD box says the movie is shot 1.85:1 which I know is standard widescreen whereas anamorphic is 2.35:1.

Confused, please help.

tkermit
Feb 23, 2008, 10:16 PM
Alright, I'm confused about the aspect ratios and when to use anamorphic or not.
Confused, please help.

The Handbrake wiki (http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/AnamorphicGuide) does a really good job explaining the concept. :)

ipoddin
Feb 23, 2008, 10:32 PM
The Handbrake wiki (http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/AnamorphicGuide) does a really good job explaining the concept. :)

Thanks for that. So if I understand it correctly, it's typically better to rip in anamorphic if when ripping non-anamorphic and keeping the aspect ratio checked the height is reduced to 400. According to the wiki:

When Anamorphic is disabled, HandBrake corrects the aspect ratio by maintaining the width and squishing the height to match. The result looks like this:

This is very similar to what happens when you play a DVD on a standard 4:3 television. The only difference is, HandBrake leaves the width at 720, instead of reducing it to 640. So it divides 720 by the aspect ratio, giving you output dimensions of 720*404. (If you're testing me on this and you get a width of 704 or a height of 400, please see the Macroblock Appendix.)

Of course, that means you're reducing the vertical line count from 480p to 404p... a significant reduction in picture quality.

There are other ways to go about encoding the anamorphic video, in order to keep that from happening.

Is this an accurate understanding?

tkermit
Feb 23, 2008, 10:55 PM
Is this an accurate understanding?

basically, yeah.
The gist of it is that, by enabling anamorphic encoding, with (most) widescreen movies you get to keep the full resolution of your source while having to store less pixels than are later displayed.

The alternative is to either reduce the source's vertical pixel count (=> information loss) or bump up the overall resolution, which will lead to higher space requirements.

dan3L
Feb 24, 2008, 11:50 AM
Any updates here? I tried a show at iTouch defaults, then changed to AAC+AC3. The one I tried with 2500kbps, and the other at 1500kbps. I felt that the former was significatly better, but it was 1GB for a 45 minute episode, which amounts to a LOT of HD space when you have a lot of individual episodes. The second came in at 650mb...I may try 2000 and see where at gets me, but it's taking an hour a pop so it's becoming very time consuming just to tinker around with. :(

I am preparing movies for an upcoming ATV purchase. Using My Mac I am not seeing a really consistent result from changing the bit rate. I ran a older B&W movie at 1500 and got a VHS quality result. At 2500 it was better. When doing a 90's era movie 1500 looked looked poor. In doing another similar movie, 1500 produced an excellent result. Most of what I have done is 1500 and look pretty good, but once again, I don't see the cookie cutter quality similarity I was hoping for. Clearly some movies will be better subjects that other.

Does anyone know the math on this stuff?

ipoddin
Feb 24, 2008, 12:27 PM
One other question on this. I understand these settings allow you to play a file on both the :apple:TV and iPhone. Besides that, what's the difference between this and the :apple:TV settings? If I don't care about the iPhone compatibility for a particular movie, would I be better off just using the :apple:TV preset?

dynaflash
Feb 24, 2008, 02:58 PM
If I don't care about the iPhone compatibility for a particular movie, would I be better off just using the :apple:TV preset?
Yes

sblasl
Feb 24, 2008, 04:37 PM
dynaflash

Have you come up with HandBrake "optimum" settings for :apple:TV only? If so can you share what you are using?

Thanks in advance.

ipoddin
Feb 24, 2008, 06:19 PM
Yes

Could you tell me what I'm missing out by doing this hybrid approach versus using the :apple:TV preset?

ipoddin
Feb 24, 2008, 06:20 PM
dynaflash

Have you come up with HandBrake "optimum" settings for :apple:TV only? If so can you share what you are using?

Thanks in advance.

There is an :apple:TV only preset in handbrake. That relates to my question of what the advantages are of using it versus the hybrid approach described in this thread.

cohibadad
Feb 24, 2008, 06:36 PM
There is an :apple:TV only preset in handbrake. That relates to my question of what the advantages are of using it versus the hybrid approach described in this thread.

In another thread, I think dynaflash said the :apple:TV preset took advantage of some advanced H264 functions that :apple:TV could handle but breaks iPod compatibility.

ipoddin
Feb 24, 2008, 06:47 PM
In another thread, I think dynaflash said the :apple:TV preset took advantage of some advanced H264 functions that :apple:TV could handle but breaks iPod compatibility.

Thanks, I'm just wondering what that is to determine if it's worth giving up iphone compatibility.

John.B
Feb 24, 2008, 08:07 PM
I think where most people are at with this is that iPhone/iTouch compatibility isn't doesn't take a lot away from the quality and adding both audio streams doesn't add a huge amount of size. From there its just a matter of deciding the bitrate you want to encode at and the whole two-pass and interlacing things.

SpaceJello
Feb 24, 2008, 09:24 PM
Hey first off, awesome thread, been keeping it up the past few days. I have started converting my movies using ipod High and 2500 kbs with 2 pass ac3/acc.

I don't have an apple tv so can't tell the quality, but on my computer screen, it is comparable to the original dvd. I mostly watch them on itunes and my iphone.

I have tried using 5000 kbs but that came out to be an additional gig on a SD 1.5 hours movie. Little difference in quality but overall its not light and day.

Curious what are other's kbs settings etc?

wanchaiman
Feb 25, 2008, 08:26 PM
I have been using the iPod high-rez setting and upping the resolution to 720xn (keeping aspect ratio) and the bit rate to 2000.

Quality wise into my 43" plasma, I cannot tell the difference between this and the ATV preset.

Will there be a big difference in video quality if I add Strict Anamorphic? Or will I only see that with a bigger screen?

dynaflash
Feb 25, 2008, 10:39 PM

bframes is a biggie, the iPods cannot handle them. I am also a fan of strict anamorphic. The iPods cannot handle it ( I dont think so anyway).

dynaflash
Feb 25, 2008, 10:45 PM
dynaflash

Thanks in advance.
Well, "optimium" is a pretty broad term. A few of us are stress testing the atv settings wise just like we did for v1 here http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4878 I think we are getting pretty close to its limits, but its tedious at best. As eddyg points out, its using crf which is awesome, but can be unpredictable depending on the source, but when used correctly its really awesome. High bitrate during complex action scenes while very low bitrate during slow simple scenes that don't need it.

ironjaw
Feb 26, 2008, 03:32 AM
This should be made a Sticky

ipoddin
Feb 26, 2008, 12:09 PM
bframes is a biggie, the iPods cannot handle them. I am also a fan of strict anamorphic. The iPods cannot handle it ( I dont think so anyway).

So what do bframes do?

BTW, I encoded several movies using this hybrid method and they do look good.

dynaflash
Feb 26, 2008, 12:30 PM
So what do bframes do?
In a nutshell from our user guide: "B-Frames are smaller than other frames, so they let you pack in more quality at the same bitrate".

bacaramac
Feb 26, 2008, 12:58 PM

+1 was going to say this the other day and forgot.

John.B
Feb 27, 2008, 02:05 AM
Yes, yes it should. :)

dynaflash
Feb 28, 2008, 12:20 PM
Um, for those of you starting out with the iPod preset then jacking up the bitrate, be sure you are also changing the vbv settings in the Advanced Panel.They are directly related to the average bitrate you use. Or try removing them altogether if you want. Though you then risk the chance of local bitrate spikes that could cause your iPod to drop frames on playback for complex scenes.

bacaramac
Feb 28, 2008, 02:54 PM
Um, for those of you starting out with the iPod preset then jacking up the bitrate, be sure you are also changing the vbv settings in the Advanced Panel.They are directly related to the average bitrate you use. Or try removing them altogether if you want. Though you then risk the chance of local bitrate spikes that could cause your iPod to drop frames on playback for complex scenes.

I posted this in a related post to this iPod setting on Handbrake forum, but thought I would post here also for other to see.

Can you please help me to understand how vbv and bitrate are tied and the impact of not increasing vbv if I increase the bitrate? Does it make it pointless to increase the Bitrate if I do not increase the VBV?

I use these settings to work with AppleTV, iPhone and iTunes with 5.1. One high quality encode for all.

consumerx
Feb 28, 2008, 04:09 PM
Hello

I will be stuck with using Handbrake 0.9.1 for a while, and although I understand 5.1 support is only available to HB 0.9.2 users, I assume that the HB 0.9.2 iPod presets can be translated to HB 0.9.1. Will somebody provide a guide with the 0.9.1 equivalents of the great compatibility table that comw generated?

Unless I am missing something, the terms "strict" and "loose" do not exist in the HB 0.9.1 gui, and from what I understand there is no longer a differentiation between iPod and Main encoders in HB 0.9.2.

Ignoring that I miss out on 5.1 and the better H.264 encoder, what do I need to do in my HB 0.9.1 settings to get a fantastic Hi-rez iPod + anamorphic results?

I thank you for your time.
cheers!

Chris Welch
Feb 28, 2008, 04:12 PM
Can someone please just give me settings for a good rip that will look good on my 24" iMac and will ALSO function on my iPhone? That's all I want.

NightStorm
Feb 28, 2008, 04:13 PM
Hello

I will be stuck with using Handbrake 0.9.1 for a while, and although I understand 5.1 support is only available to HB 0.9.2 users, I assume that the HB 0.9.2 iPod presets can be translated to HB 0.9.1. Will somebody provide a guide with the 0.9.1 equivalents of the great compatibility table that comw generated?

Unless I am missing something, the terms "strict" and "loose" do not exist in the HB 0.9.1 gui, and from what I understand there is no longer a differentiation between iPod and Main encoders in HB 0.9.2.

Ignoring that I miss out on 5.1 and the better H.264 encoder, what do I need to do in my HB 0.9.1 settings to get a fantastic Hi-rez iPod + anamorphic results?

I thank you for your time.
cheers!
You can't, without taking stuff out of the .9.2 source and putting it into .9.1. The iPod/iPhone require a special atom (pasp) to be written into the file to indicate correct anamorphic settings. This is not in .9.1, so you will never get a properly-displayed anamorphic encode out of .9.1 for the iPod family.

The iPod presets are identical between .9.1 and .9.2 as far as I know. The .9.2 iPod presets do not use anamorphic or AC3 at this time.

FreeState
Feb 28, 2008, 04:18 PM
Can someone please just give me settings for a good rip that will look good on my 24" iMac and will ALSO function on my iPhone? That's all I want.

Use the preset for iPhone/iPod Touch - should produce a good picture for the iMac and the phone.

Chris Welch
Feb 28, 2008, 04:21 PM
Right, but it seems that people here say that the iPod High-Rez setting (and changing the kbps to 2500) is a better route than the iPhone setting.

zedsdead
Feb 28, 2008, 04:30 PM
Right, but it seems that people here say that the iPod High-Rez setting (and changing the kbps to 2500) is a better route than the iPhone setting.

I agree. Start with the iPod High -Rez setting but make sure you have Anamorphic turned on now that the iPhone supports it. Loose or Strict, really will not make a noticeable difference. kbps at either 2000 or 2500. I really don't think there is much of a difference between the two. If you want more space, do with the first as there is not that much difference if any at all.

Chris Welch
Feb 28, 2008, 04:38 PM
See, that's what I don't get. Right now, I'm trying to put Michael Clayton on my computer.

Now, when I select iPod High-Rez with Anamorphic on Loose, I get:

Source: 720 x 480
Output: 640 x 320
Anamorphic: 758 x 320 Loose
Keep aspect ratio: Off

Now, is it bad that the aspect ratio isn't being kept? I don't quite understand.

Fromasta Flex
Feb 28, 2008, 06:57 PM
Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? I believe I'm following the directions of the original poster exactly, but none of the resulting files from the 2 movies I've tried ever sync to my iPod. I start with iPod High-Rez on maximum resolution, change to strict anamorphic, set the bitrate at 2500, change to AAC +AC3 audio, choose 2-pass, and go, but none of the files will sync to the iPod. Handbrake reads: Source: 720x480, Output: 720x460, Anamorphic: 853x460 Strict. Any help is greatly appreciated!

bacaramac
Feb 28, 2008, 08:11 PM
Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? I believe I'm following the directions of the original poster exactly, but none of the resulting files from the 2 movies I've tried ever sync to my iPod. I start with iPod High-Rez on maximum resolution, change to strict anamorphic, set the bitrate at 2500, change to AAC +AC3 audio, choose 2-pass, and go, but none of the files will sync to the iPod. Handbrake reads: Source: 720x480, Output: 720x460, Anamorphic: 853x460 Strict. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I am not sure what iPod you have, but it works on the iPhone and Touch. I think the iPod Atom allows this to work on 5G iPods, but I do not have an older iPod. Hope this helps.

Fromasta Flex
Feb 28, 2008, 10:23 PM
I am not sure what iPod you have, but it works on the iPhone and Touch. I think the iPod Atom allows this to work on 5G iPods, but I do not have an older iPod. Hope this helps.

Well this is a real head scratcher. The resulting file (that had the iPod Atom thingy checked) WILL play on my iPhone, but not on my 5G iPod video. :confused: Anyone have any ideas??

ipoddin
Feb 29, 2008, 01:00 AM
Encoded Scarface using this hybrid setting and then with the standard apple tv preset. Honestly couldn't see a difference. So I'm sticking with the hybrid so I get the best of both worlds.

zedsdead
Feb 29, 2008, 05:41 AM
Well this is a real head scratcher. The resulting file (that had the iPod Atom thingy checked) WILL play on my iPhone, but not on my 5G iPod video. :confused: Anyone have any ideas??

The 5th Gen iPods have a video limit of 640x480. The iPod Atom might allow anamorphic to work (not sure about this), but there is a hard limit on the initial size of the file. Make sure it does not pass 640x480.

dynaflash
Feb 29, 2008, 07:46 AM
the 5 g and 5.5 g ipods cannot use strict anamorphic

Fromasta Flex
Feb 29, 2008, 02:56 PM
the 5 g and 5.5 g ipods cannot use strict anamorphic

So from what you said, I tried using loose anamorphic and changed the width to 640, and now it works, and it appears the file has slightly higher resolution. To me, it does look like better quality, but I just want to confirm: it's worth it if I want the best quality on a computer, appleTV, or 5G iPod to use loose anamorphic rather than just the iPod Hi-rez setting, right? What advantage do I lose having to use loose rather than strict? (I don't fully understand the wiki.)

dynaflash
Feb 29, 2008, 04:22 PM
Yep, in the case of ipod atv cross compatibility you need to use loose anamorphic ( it was mostly added for that exact situation) Strict does a better job of truly reflecting the anamorphic quality of the actual source. however this case "Loose" is the only working solution.

nojokejones
Mar 1, 2008, 03:32 PM

So you are saying to increase the "vbv-maxrate" to 2500 (if that is what you want the bitrate to be) from the hi-res ipod setting of 1500. What about the vbv-bufsize. It is 2000 in the hi-res preset. Would you increase it to 2500 (500 more than it's original setting in the hi-res preset?)

Before:
vbv-maxrate=1500:vbv-bufsize=2000

After?:
vbv-maxrate=2500:vbv-bufsize=3000

What do they do?

Thanks

Fromasta Flex
Mar 2, 2008, 02:50 PM
I have the same question as the poster above me....what exactly do we need to change in the advanced panel?? Because I think my iPod may be experiencing some lagging due to this...

dynaflash
Mar 2, 2008, 11:08 PM
well, if the vbv-maxrate is less than the abr. vbv will be ignored pretty much, which means you open yourself up to bitrate spikes that can cause frame dropping.

rhester is the vbv guy for iPods over at the handbrake forums, but it seems to me going with 2500/3000 is better than leaving it. vbv is in many ways as much art as science in practice. The best place for a discussion of vbv is really in the HB forums as its a rathole not best gone down here. Realize that many movies will play just fine if you simply remove the vbv part of the opt string, you will really notice it mosly on very complex scenes like the beggining of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. That first five minutes can cause frame dropping in a big way if not properly controlled.

cowm007
Mar 3, 2008, 11:41 PM
Update: I finally found a someone with a 4g and a 5g ipod to play with so that I can conduct some more conclusive tests.

I've ripped over 72 individual files using many combinations of settings and will hopefully have a nice complete chart by next Monday. I've also ripped complete movies with to see actual sizes and real-world effects. One major thing I've noticed is that ripping at 5000kbps with various audio tracks crashes Handbrake so I'll be detailing that later.

Btw, so far every file plays fine on TV, iPhone/iPod Touch, and iPod nano so just missing the older iPods (and the 6g iPod) tests.

dynaflash
Mar 5, 2008, 07:25 AM
So you are saying to increase the "vbv-maxrate" to 2500 (if that is what you want the bitrate to be) from the hi-res ipod setting of 1500. What about the vbv-bufsize. It is 2000 in the hi-res preset. Would you increase it to 2500 (500 more than it's original setting in the hi-res preset?)

Before:
vbv-maxrate=1500:vbv-bufsize=2000

After?:
vbv-maxrate=2500:vbv-bufsize=3000

What do they do?

Thanks

Okay, so with an abr of 2500 on the iPod preset, it is sane to change the vbv-maxrate to 2500, but leave the vbv-bufsize at 2000. 3000 allows for too long of a buffer which the ipod does not have. So you would use this:

vbv-maxrate=2500:vbv-bufsize=2000

Fromasta Flex
Mar 5, 2008, 04:44 PM
Okay, so with an abr of 2500 on the iPod preset, it is sane to change the vbv-maxrate to 2500, but leave the vbv-bufsize at 2000. 3000 allows for too long of a buffer which the ipod does not have. So you would use this:

vbv-maxrate=2500:vbv-bufsize=2000

Still don't know what any of that means, but as long as I know what to do, it doesn't matter. Thanks! lol

dynaflash
Mar 5, 2008, 05:22 PM
Fair enough :)

nojokejones
Mar 5, 2008, 05:56 PM
Still don't know what any of that means, but as long as I know what to do, it doesn't matter. Thanks! lol

I'm with you. I just want a hybrid preset. Seems like that would be a good one for HB to add.

I made some screenshots. From what I can follow, these are the settings to create a high enough quality, itouch & iphone compatible .m4v (.m4v is the same as a .mp4) with stereo and AC3 (that's 5.1) audio that shouldn't be that large (file size).

Please let me know if I missed something.

dynaflash, do you know someone at HB to get a hybrid preset?

Thanks for all the help.

dynaflash
Mar 5, 2008, 06:11 PM
dynaflash, do you know someone at HB to get a hybrid preset?
Um, yeah I might know someone at HB. But why not just make your own ?

nojokejones
Mar 5, 2008, 06:17 PM
Um, yeah I might know someone at HB. But why not just make your own ?

Ha! Because then we wouldn't have to rattle off 3 pages in a forum to get to the answer.

dynaflash
Mar 5, 2008, 06:18 PM
Ha! Because then we wouldn't have to rattle off 3 pages in a forum to get to the answer.

Well, try it, if you like it make your own preset. Thats really what they are there for.

AliensAreFuzzy
Mar 5, 2008, 06:26 PM
You know, with 0.9.1 I had a preset set up that worked a great hybrid for :apple:TV and iPod, iPhone, and iPod Touch. But when I tried to use it with 0.9.2, it stopped working. That same preset wouldn't work on iPods anymore. I've tried finding a setting that would work, but I haven't had any luck. I get much better video quality out of 0.9.1

Digital-HT
Mar 9, 2008, 01:10 AM
many of you are giving great info on the best settings for different devices, Thanks you for that.

But im trying to figure out what would be the BEST settings with only AppleTV in mind. the size of the file does not matter. I just want the best audio/video quality. I don't need the file to be compatible with anything else, just AppleTV.

Thanks!

cohibadad
Mar 9, 2008, 10:01 AM
You should check out the HB forums. I believe there is a thread dedicated to just that. HB settings for best quality pushing the :apple:TV to the limits. My simple answer would be just use the :apple:TV preset. It really is quite good. You probably want to check autoselect subtitles and forced subtitles only. Getting the right subtitles to display takes a little tinkering. But for audio and video quality, :apple:TV preset is a pretty brainless way to get excellent quality.

Digital-HT
Mar 9, 2008, 02:01 PM
You should check out the HB forums. I believe there is a thread dedicated to just that. HB settings for best quality pushing the :apple:TV to the limits. My simple answer would be just use the :apple:TV preset. It really is quite good. You probably want to check autoselect subtitles and forced subtitles only. Getting the right subtitles to display takes a little tinkering. But for audio and video quality, :apple:TV preset is a pretty brainless way to get excellent quality.

thanks! I'll check it out...

ukor
Mar 9, 2008, 09:38 PM
I have been running some tests of this with these settings and I cannot get AC-3 to output when included with AAC. I have installed and configured Perian on my Mac Mini that is toslinked to my Yamaha AVR. I get 6.1 using the Incredibles as a test with just AC-3 Passthrough, but when I add in AAC, I only get Dolby Prologic II in Front Row and QuickTime. Also, VLC complains about not having an AC-3 codec? Why won't it pass it through as it would with the DVD? Also the PCM light is on on the AVR.

Am I doing something wrong or is this as expected?

slffl
Mar 10, 2008, 10:08 AM
I have a question about AppleTV and Handbrake.

I've tried ripping content using both the AppleTV and iPhone presets. I've noticed that the AppleTV files can't be transferred to the iPhone until you convert it. However, I would like to just have one file and not have to convert.

So since I don't own an AppleTV yet, I'm wondering if movies ripped using the iPhone preset will play on the AppleTV without any addition converting?

dynaflash
Mar 10, 2008, 01:21 PM
I'm wondering if movies ripped using the iPhone preset will play on the AppleTV without any addition converting?
yes. Though the quality will be marginal in all likelihood. Try one.

Fromasta Flex
Mar 10, 2008, 02:37 PM
I'm ripping movies with these settings and every once in a while, but rarely, there will be a blocky blip in the video, kind of like what HD TV looks like when it loses its signal for a second. I've converted the same movie twice and it does it in both files, though in different places. Anyone know what's up?

kagharaht
Mar 11, 2008, 01:05 PM
I don't have Handbrake for Windows and trying to help out a friend.

With 0.9.2 selecting AAC passthrough only for ATV will not play the audio on Windows iTunes/Quicktime locally but should play fine in ATV?

In order to play locally in iTunes or Quicktime in Windows, the AAC + AC3 audio must be selected correct?

kikobarbada
Mar 12, 2008, 04:51 PM
Hello. This is a very useful guide. It is the most important topic about Handbrake but I believe it is a bit confusing. I have made a design to help the topic. It would be great if you'd use it.

It is attatched on this post.

HandBrake ripping compatibility tests

By: Cowm007

Table of Contents
i - Revision history
1.0 - Introduction
2.0 - Proposal
3.0 - Testing
4.0 - Results
5.0 - Credits

i - Revision history
» 02/19/2008 - Created the guide
» 03/12/2008 - Edited it to cool format

1.0 - Introduction
» This guide was made for you who does not know what settings to put on Handbrake in order to have a good-looking file that is compatible with iPods, iPhone, and the Apple TV.

2.0 - Proposal
I don't know how many of you are in the same situation as me, but I have a few Apple devices I'd like to play my media on. I'd also like to have only 1 file that plays across all the platforms and has the best quality/size ratio possible. I've looked online for such a solution but found mixed results so I've decided to run my own tests using the newly released HandBrake version 0.9.2.

• iTunes 7.6
• Apple TV Take 2
• iPhone with 1.1.3 Firmware
• 3g iPod nano with 1.1. Firmware

3.0 - Testing
My hardware is a MacBook with a 2Ghz Core 2 duo and 3GB of RAM. I'm ripping chapter 1 of the "Groundhog Day" widescreen DVD which has 5.1 audio and multiple languages. For quality, I always do 2-pass encoding as it helps immensely with fast scene changes. For benchmark purposes, I get 60fps average on the 1st pass and 19fps average on the 2nd pass at the 1500 kbps bitrate.

Alright here's my results placed into a nice easy to read chart. Basically what I can gather is that the HandBrake team has done a great job in terms of compatibility and that Apple has understated the iPhone/iPod's potential. I'm happy to find that both my iPod and iPhone were able to handle the full sized anamorphic DVD rip with 4 audio tracks (AAC and AC3).

The settings I choose were based off the "iPod High" preset. My rationale for the tested resolutions is based off Apple's published iPhone/iPod specs. http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html According to them, the max resolution the iPhone can handle is 640x480 @ 1500kbps. I found out what this actually means is that the max pixel count the iPhone can handle is 307,200 pixels (640 times 480). So the 720x400 was the highest you can get a widescreen rip (non-anamorphic) and still be under the max pixel count (288,000 px).

Surprisingly though, the iPhone/iPod were able to handle the full resolution 708x466 (329,928 px) without complaints. Since the resolution limit was higher that I expected, I decided to test other bit-rates as well. I tried both 2500 and then 5000kbps. The results are as follows.

Important note: You HAVE to choose the iPod/iPhone preset first and crank up the setting from there if you want to get these high quality cross-device files. If you choose the Apple TV preset and go from there they won't work. I'm guessing it's got something to do with the advanced flags. Also, it didn't matter if I checked the "iPod Atom" flag or not. I'm not sure anymore what it's for, maybe some older iPods require it but I don't have any to test with.

4.0 - Results

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/3807/picture2ff8.png

• All@1500kbps, 2x AAC: 1,188 MB
• All@1500kbps, 1x AAC, 1x AC3: 1,360 MB
• All@1500kbps, 2x AAC, 2x AC3: 1,620 MB
• Anamorphic @ 2500: 2,340 MB
• Anamorphic @ 5000: 4,000 MB

OK so conclusions. Looks like the devices can handle much more than I thought they could. I've done tests before and it used to be I couldn't get the anamorphic or the higher bitrate files to play on my iPhone. So it looks like I can start upping the quality of my rips and not worry about compatibility. On the downside, my previous rips now feel old and outdated lol.

The settings I'll probably use on movies from now on are the Anamorphic Strict setting for the highest resolution possible and 2500kbps video. I did always feel 1500 was lacking clarity on the Apple TV so it's nice to be able to increase that. 5000kbps seems like over kill to me since I can't really notice a difference between that and 2500kbps. It's also pushing the 4GB file limit people seem to run into trouble with. I'll leave the 5000+AC3 for my HD rips, those can really benefit from it.

Still not sure about audio since it only benefits the Apple TV. The size jump is also quite high for the high quality AC3 tracks. I'd rather have 2 different languages than the 5.1 surround sound with the added size penalty. But that's just personal choice.

The results are not conclusive as I have yet to try a full screen DVD and one of those ultra widescreen DVDs, but given the iPhone/iPod outperformed, I think I'll find similar results with those.

5.0 - Credits
cowm007: Writing this guide
Kikobarbada: Design

zainjetha
Mar 12, 2008, 10:37 PM
How is the normal preset? Does it look good on all devices...

First off all im going to try rip The Simpsons Movie in iPod High Resolution, sync it to the three... then i might try NORMAL, and finally iPod touch/iPhone...

I will get this perfect....

RumMunkey
Mar 13, 2008, 07:49 AM
This would all be so much easier if Handbrake supported exporting your presets to some sort of a file. We could all then share our settings easily by passing them around.

dynaflash
Mar 13, 2008, 08:10 AM
How is the normal preset? Does it look good on all devices...

Normal uses cabac which makes it iPod/iPhone incompatible. iPods require that cabac be off in the advanced panel. iF it worked on the iPod and looked better than the iPod Hi rez preset. well then it would be the iPod hi rez preset ;)

Fromasta Flex
Mar 15, 2008, 01:11 AM
So I checked out the activity window during an encode with these settings and noticed hundreds upon hundreds of messages saying "[warning]: VBV underflow." Is this a bad thing? It does say warning...

EDIT: I don't know anything about this but could this vbv thing be related to the blips I keep seeing in all of my encodes? Has anyone actually watched one of their encodes with these settings all the way through? Every single one of the movies I do with these settings have various little digital "screw ups" (like how HDTV looks when it loses a signal for a sec) that are less than a second long every once in a while throughout playback...

ANOTHER EDIT: So for a test I tried re-encoding a movie but this time leaving the vbvmaxrate at 1500 and the bufsize at 2000, (how it is originally), and now those blips I was talking about are gone...I don't know anything about this, but judging based on testing I guess I'll just leave the vbv settings as is unless I notice something weird with the encode, unless anyone has any other ideas.

Maynerd
Mar 19, 2008, 11:20 AM
I've tried ripping The Last Emperor directors cut 218 Minutes long via handbrake using the default apple tv settings with 2500bit rate. Handbrake keeps blowing up on me. The file is over 4gb in size and when it is in the middle of finishing the file it breaks. Is there some sort of 4GB limitation on Mac formatted drives? I was able to lower the bit rate and it worked with a size of about 3.7 GB.

MikieMikie
Mar 19, 2008, 11:50 AM
I've tried ripping The Last Emperor directors cut 218 Minutes long via handbrake using the default apple tv settings with 2500bit rate. Handbrake keeps blowing up on me. The file is over 4gb in size and when it is in the middle of finishing the file it breaks. Is there some sort of 4GB limitation on Mac formatted drives? I was able to lower the bit rate and it worked with a size of about 3.7 GB.

Make sure the 64bit checkbox is checked. There was a 4GB limit (32 bits).

Maynerd
Mar 19, 2008, 12:00 PM
Make sure the 64bit checkbox is checked. There was a 4GB limit (32 bits).

AHH..I see Thanks!

Fromasta Flex
Apr 6, 2008, 01:22 AM
Alright, this is getting annoying. When I rip with a bitrate of 2500 or 2000 my 60gb ipod video skips frames during playback. If I then change the vbv settings to fix that, strange pixelation blips occur in the video. I read that the vbv settings don't work with 2-pass, is this true? If so, that's another annoying thing to add to the list because I notice some different pixelation problems when I don't do 2-pass. It seems I can't fix one problem without developing another!!

Looks like it's back to the standard 2-pass iPod High-Rez setting for me...

dynaflash
Apr 7, 2008, 10:39 AM
So I checked out the activity window during an encode with these settings and noticed hundreds upon hundreds of messages saying "[warning]: VBV underflow." Is this a bad thing? It does say warning...
The vbv underflow messages you are seeing means that the x264 video encoder cannot constrain the bitrate within your requested vbv.
EDIT: I don't know anything about this but could this vbv thing be related to the blips I keep seeing in all of my encodes? Has anyone actually watched one of their encodes with these settings all the way through? Every single one of the movies I do with these settings have various little digital "screw ups" (like how HDTV looks when it loses a signal for a sec) that are less than a second long every once in a while throughout playback...
Yes, its your vbv settings causing that momentary pixelation at scene changes.
ANOTHER EDIT: So for a test I tried re-encoding a movie but this time leaving the vbvmaxrate at 1500 and the bufsize at 2000, (how it is originally), and now those blips I was talking about are gone...I don't know anything about this, but judging based on testing I guess I'll just leave the vbv settings as is unless I notice something weird with the encode, unless anyone has any other ideas.

Depending on the abr you specified, if the vbv-maxrate is lower than the abr, x264 just ignores your vbv settings (in which case you will not get those pixelations at scene changes, but you risk dropped frames from momentary bitrate spikes).

If your vbv settings are ignored (or you don't set any) and you try to use 2500 abr, you may get stuttering on a 5G or 5.5G iPod as local bitrates can spike way beyond what that version of iPod can handle depending on your source and the complexity of the scene.

What abr and vbv settings are you trying to use on your 60GB iPod ? Note: I have both the atv and a 5G iPod and still use the stock iPod hi Rez preset. Yes, I can bump it up some to around 2000 abr, but tbh its safer imho to just use the iPod hi rez preset.

Fromasta Flex
Apr 7, 2008, 07:10 PM
The vbv underflow messages you are seeing means that the x264 video encoder cannot constrain the bitrate within your requested vbv.

Yes, its your vbv settings causing that momentary pixelation at scene changes.

Depending on the abr you specified, if the vbv-maxrate is lower than the abr, x264 just ignores your vbv settings (in which case you will not get those pixelations at scene changes, but you risk dropped frames from momentary bitrate spikes).

If your vbv settings are ignored (or you don't set any) and you try to use 2500 abr, you may get stuttering on a 5G or 5.5G iPod as local bitrates can spike way beyond what that version of iPod can handle depending on your source and the complexity of the scene.

What abr and vbv settings are you trying to use on your 60GB iPod ? Note: I have both the atv and a 5G iPod and still use the stock iPod hi Rez preset. Yes, I can bump it up some to around 2000 abr, but tbh its safer imho to just use the iPod hi rez preset.

Following directions I found on this thread for my 60gb iPod Video, I set my abr to 2500 and change the text in advanced to vbv-maxrate=2500:vbv-bufsize=2000 under advanced. I then also choose 2-pass and change the picture to loose anamorphic with a width of 640. The result plays on my iPod, but there are often pixelation problems at scene changes. If I keep vbv-maxrate at 1500 then those pixelations go away, but my iPod stutters like crazy, like you said. I'm kind of picky about quality because I mainly watch movies on my 22 inch monitor, but also play on a tv using the iPod, so the pixelation really bothers me. For the same reasons I wish I could have higher bitrate than the high-rez preset offers, but I guess I have no choice because of the pixelation.

Is the pixelation something that could be fixed in an update or is it just necessary to avoid the spikes? If the pixelation thing didn't happen I'd be one happy camper, but I guess I'm going back to the hi-rez preset for now. Maybe I'm the only one who is bothered by the pixelation! :rolleyes:

dynaflash
Apr 7, 2008, 10:27 PM
To be specific its an issue with the x264 rate control system. Just for kicks try a vbv-maxrate of 3000 (leave the bufsize alone) with your 2500 abr encode and see if that helps. As well, try it at 2500 using just one pass. the 2 pass vbv capabilities HB is using are a touch experimental and do not even exist yet in the x264 svn.

In other words, try those two methods and see if you get better results. Basically you are trying to squeeze every ounce of quality out of a limited playback device. So some trial and error is inevitable.

Fromasta Flex
Apr 8, 2008, 12:09 PM
To be specific its an issue with the x264 rate control system. Just for kicks try a vbv-maxrate of 3000 (leave the bufsize alone) with your 2500 abr encode and see if that helps. As well, try it at 2500 using just one pass. the 2 pass vbv capabilities HB is using are a touch experimental and do not even exist yet in the x264 svn.

In other words, try those two methods and see if you get better results. Basically you are trying to squeeze every ounce of quality out of a limited playback device. So some trial and error is inevitable.

Well, I did the same settings but with a vbv-maxrate of 3000 and so far so good, I haven't noticed the pixelation and my iPod has yet to skip. I guess the problem is solved, but I'm sure I'll probably have to do some trial and error on every encode. Is there any reason why I should attempt at finding a lower vbv-maxrate that works (like between 2500 and 3000)? Is there any disadvantage at having the vbv-maxrate that high? Thanks for the help, by the way.

dynaflash
Apr 8, 2008, 02:11 PM
Is there any reason why I should attempt at finding a lower vbv-maxrate that works (like between 2500 and 3000)? Is there any disadvantage at having the vbv-maxrate that high?
Well, ideally you want to try to get away with it as high as you can. Having said that the higher you go the closer you are getting to hitting the 5g ipods bitrate spike limit. To make matters even more confusing, it will only rear its ugly head on very complex scenes. Some movies might work fine with no vbv settings applied whatsoever. So use a source where you have seen frame drop before so you have a constant. I have a few benchmark movies I use to test. The worse I have seen it Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix. The frame dropping happens right at the beginning during the first chapter. If the iPod doesnt drop frames there, its not likely to and you have found the sweet spot.

I would keep working with the settings that are working well for you for now.

Fromasta Flex
Apr 8, 2008, 10:28 PM
Well, ideally you want to try to get away with it as high as you can. Having said that the higher you go the closer you are getting to hitting the 5g ipods bitrate spike limit. To make matters even more confusing, it will only rear its ugly head on very complex scenes. Some movies might work fine with no vbv settings applied whatsoever. So use a source where you have seen frame drop before so you have a constant. I have a few benchmark movies I use to test. The worse I have seen it Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix. The frame dropping happens right at the beginning during the first chapter. If the iPod doesnt drop frames there, its not likely to and you have found the sweet spot.

I would keep working with the settings that are working well for you for now.

I've been using a train chase scene from Indiana Jones as my test because its pretty complex, and when the vbv maxrate is set to 2500 it drops frames, but not when its at 3000. Doesn't that not make any sense since it would be closer to its spike limit? I guess I don't really need to understand as long as it works, I'll just have to examine all of my encodes from now on. Thanks for everything!

Maury
Apr 15, 2008, 09:17 AM
Yes - if there is an AC3 audio track then the file extension *must* be m4v otherwise it will be deemed an invalid mp4 file.

I really dislike this aspect of the ATV. If Apple would simply license Dolby Live you could put in an AAC encoded 5.1 and have it convert to DD 5.1 on the fly. This would mean you could have all the channels, but still have a much smaller file. It would also continue to play just fine on other devices, the only hardware that would need the DL would be the ATV, which is highly likely to be attached to a DD AV system.

Maury

NightStorm
Apr 15, 2008, 10:09 AM
I really dislike this aspect of the ATV. If Apple would simply license Dolby Live you could put in an AAC encoded 5.1 and have it convert to DD 5.1 on the fly. This would mean you could have all the channels, but still have a much smaller file. It would also continue to play just fine on other devices, the only hardware that would need the DL would be the ATV, which is highly likely to be attached to a DD AV system.

Maury
Why would you want to do AC3 -> AAC -> AC3? I'd imagine that would have a pretty negative effect on the audio quality. I agree this would have been a nice solution, but I am perfectly happy with what Apple has done here.

Maury
Apr 16, 2008, 08:31 AM
Why would you want to do AC3 -> AAC -> AC3? I'd imagine that would have a pretty negative effect on the audio quality.

So does MP3. The cost/performance ratio is huge.

Maury

oli2140
Jun 4, 2008, 01:40 PM
Does anybody know what video settings iTunes uses for its TV Shows and Films?

NightStorm
Jun 5, 2008, 02:40 PM
Not really applicable... I'm sure the studios don't simply hand Apple a DVD and tell them to use Handbrake on it.

In short, they start with a much better source.

soLoredd
Jun 6, 2008, 02:36 AM
Not really applicable... I'm sure the studios don't simply hand Apple a DVD and tell them to use Handbrake on it.

I have found that not all of the movies I buy on iTunes come out to be great quality on my TV. For example, Crimson Tide. It looks good on my iPhone but when I have my MacBook connected via HDMI to my TV, it is very blocky. At the same time, my Handbrake version of the movie looks TONS better. Why is that?

oli2140
Jun 6, 2008, 02:54 AM

Haha, I know that they don't have to Handbrake their films. The reason I was asking is because it works with iPods AND Apple TVs and both look pretty good. There must be a way to replicate the quality and the compatibility of these files to a degree on Handbrake.

dan3L
Jun 15, 2008, 10:37 PM

You can look at the stats on those files by viewing the "Summary" window of the "Get Info" choice in iTunes for the individual file.

telecomm
Jun 16, 2008, 02:08 AM
I have been running some tests of this with these settings and I cannot get AC-3 to output when included with AAC. I have installed and configured Perian on my Mac Mini that is toslinked to my Yamaha AVR. I get 6.1 using the Incredibles as a test with just AC-3 Passthrough, but when I add in AAC, I only get Dolby Prologic II in Front Row and QuickTime. Also, VLC complains about not having an AC-3 codec? Why won't it pass it through as it would with the DVD? Also the PCM light is on on the AVR.

Am I doing something wrong or is this as expected?

Hmm... In System Preferences, do you have Perian set for Multi-Channel audio output?

oleus23@aol.com
Jul 4, 2008, 11:59 AM
this may be related to ukor's problem :

on my first few handbrake test encodes, i was able to get DD 5.1 audio just fine with some dvd content via Apple TV. Recently however i've been noticing that even if i use the AAC+AC3 Audio setting (like i did with the first few successful 5.1 encodes) I am only getting Prologic on the handbrake encodes when I watch on my Apple TV. Occasionally it seems to give me the 5.1 on an encode but only 1 out of my last 10 encodes (all of which had 5.1 audio tracks selected and the AC3 selected in handbrake output "track 1 mix").

ScootPatoot
Jul 9, 2008, 01:31 PM
I am converting the first episode of the first season of The Sopranos. It is 1:00:04 long.

Setting used (Windows version of HB):

iPod High Rez Preset
Unchecked Insert iPod atom
Changed Audio Encoder to AAC + AC3
Checked Loose Anamorphic and changed the width to 640
Selected 2 Pass Encoding and Turbo First Pass
Changed average bitrate to 2500kbps
Changed subtitles to Autoselect and checked Forced Subtitles Only
Changed vbv-maxrate=2500;vbv-buffsize=2000

Everything else I left as is. The resulting m4v's size is 1.27 GB. Seems pretty high for an hour episode.

Does anyone have any settings I could change that would perserve as much quality as I can but get the size of the file down a bit?

eclipse525
Jul 9, 2008, 03:02 PM
Does anyone know the settings for a PS3? I tried a couple of settings in handbrake and it's won't play. Any idea's? Thanks!

~e

kjr39
Jul 12, 2008, 09:09 AM
Anyone try using the AppleTV preset and reducing the number of b-frames to 0 for iPod compatibility?

I thought I read somewhere else that a limiting factor in the iPod is that it can't handle b-frames?

Donar
Jul 13, 2008, 03:19 PM
Does anyone know the settings for a PS3? I tried a couple of settings in handbrake and it's won't play. Any idea's? Thanks!

At least the Windows Version of Handbrake has presets for PS3, or look for the right CLI arguments here (http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/BuiltInPresets#ps3).

dynaflash
Jul 14, 2008, 10:26 AM
I thought I read somewhere else that a limiting factor in the iPod is that it can't handle b-frames?
Correct, iPods cannot handle b-frames.

Hydabrink
Jul 17, 2008, 07:38 PM
I don't know how many of you are in the same situation as me, but I have a few Apple devices I'd like to play my media on. I'd also like to have only 1 file that plays across all the platforms and has the best quality/size ratio possible. I've looked online for such a solution but found mixed results so I've decided to run my own tests using the newly released HandBrake version 0.9.2

iTunes 7.6
Apple TV Take 2
iPhone with 1.1.3 Firmware
3g iPod nano with 1.1. Firmware

Here's the results:

I was curious to know how long it takes your computer to convert a 90 minute movie using the anamorphic strict setting at 2500kbps?

ScootPatoot
Jul 24, 2008, 03:40 PM
I thought HB would be able to convert a .mkv file? It doesn't show up in the file box when trying to select a file.

Doese anyone have any recommendations on a good mkv file converter that will produce great video/sound quality for AppleTV/iPhone?

Edit: I'm using a Windows box.

Cave Man
Jul 24, 2008, 04:03 PM
HB does transcoding from VOB files. But that might be changing, right Dyna? :)

Gregoryt
Jul 25, 2008, 01:07 AM
You seem pretty savvy with the Handbrake program . Do you know if there is a way to include DVD extras in the encoding process ? Specifically for Ipod touch ? Gregoryt

Tweeksy
Jul 29, 2008, 09:48 AM
this may be related to ukor's problem :

on my first few handbrake test encodes, i was able to get DD 5.1 audio just fine with some dvd content via Apple TV. Recently however i've been noticing that even if i use the AAC+AC3 Audio setting (like i did with the first few successful 5.1 encodes) I am only getting Prologic on the handbrake encodes when I watch on my Apple TV. Occasionally it seems to give me the 5.1 on an encode but only 1 out of my last 10 encodes (all of which had 5.1 audio tracks selected and the AC3 selected in handbrake output "track 1 mix").

Same here, lots of issues getting ac3 using the HB Appletv preset, have resigned to using 160kbps aac dolby prologic II as it reliably gives me a surround sound-track!

Anyone know of a workaround?

dynaflash
Jul 29, 2008, 10:18 AM
HB does transcoding from VOB files. But that might be changing, right Dyna? :)
That's the rumor.

benjsh
Aug 2, 2008, 04:00 AM
Hi,
I just bought a brand new mac mini 160 gig 2ghz core 2 duo mac os x 10.5.4 with itunes itunes 7.7.1 the latest from auto update and an iomega 750 gig extra harddrive.
I need to copy in more than 200 dvds.
I also got a new iphone 3g 16 gig.

So I got the latest handbrake 0.9.2 so I am set.
I recorded in 2 of my dvd witht he appletv Cocktail that was 1.7 gig and wedding crashers 2.6 gig.
I want the best quality.
So the problem if they dont load on the iphone also.
What is the best way to adjust it so it works on iphone but still has the best quality.
I tried to convert the files to iphone format after with Visual hub and this just takes forever.
So I guest I need to use the appletv profile and make a few adjustments so the quality only goes a little down but then works on the iphone?

Tom B.
Aug 2, 2008, 08:39 AM
What is the best way to adjust it so it works on iPhone but still has the best quality?
So I guest I need to use the Apple TV profile and make a few adjustments so the quality only goes a little down but then works on the iPhone?

I would suggest you rip all of your movies with the Apple TV preset, and then rip the ones which you plan to put on your iPhone with the iPhone preset. This will give you the best quality on your Apple TV, and smaller file sizes for your iPhone.

If you would prefer to not have 2 copies of certain movies, the iPod Hi-Res preset will be an ok compromise. As a test, you could rip a movie with the Apple TV preset and the iPod Hi-Res preset, then watch them on your Apple TV and compare the quality.

netdog
Aug 2, 2008, 08:42 AM
If you want the best quality, plan for the future as well.

Rip using Mac The Ripper to get every bit available from the original source for your archives, and then rip from these using handbrake for AppleTV and iPod. Standards will improve, and you want the best resolution possible to support future standards. Best of all, you can then recycle your DVDs and reduce the clutter.

benjsh
Aug 2, 2008, 03:54 PM
Hi
Can I take the iPod High profile and tune it a little so it is even better and then it still works on the iphone and then I get the best quality for the tv also?

boomish
Aug 2, 2008, 11:30 PM
If you want the best quality, plan for the future as well.

Rip using Mac The Ripper to get every bit available from the original source for your archives, and then rip from these using handbrake for AppleTV and iPod. Standards will improve, and you want the best resolution possible to support future standards. Best of all, you can then recycle your DVDs and reduce the clutter.

why rip twice? is handbrake's rip direct from the DVD not as good?
I want good quailty for doing all our DVD's

telecomm
Aug 3, 2008, 05:13 AM
why rip twice? is handbrake's rip direct from the DVD not as good?
I want good quailty for doing all our DVD's

Handbrake gives you a compressed video file, while something like Mac the Ripper gives you an exact duplicate of the DVD (the VIDEO_TS folder). After using Mac the Ripper you no longer need to use the DVD again, and you can use Handbrake on the resulting VIDEO_TS folder to compress it to any of the formats you like (iPod compatible, etc.). Also, you can even play the VIDEO_TS folder using DVD Player, since it's an exact duplicate.

It's a bit of a pain to get the latest Mac the Ripper, so I've been using DVDFab HD Decrypter on Vista through Bootcamp to get basically the same results.

Mac In School
Aug 8, 2008, 12:54 AM
Where is this friggin' "64 Bit" checkbox everyone keeps talking about? :confused:

dynaflash
Aug 8, 2008, 10:37 AM
Where is this friggin' "64 Bit" checkbox everyone keeps talking about? :confused:

For HB 0.9.2 on the mac its right in the main window above the tabs, its only enabled when you have the format set to mp4. For 0.9.1 there is a preference you have to turn on in preferences so that it becomes active in the main window.

The reason for this is because back when 0.9.1 was out, almost no device besides a computer could play a 64 bit mp4 file. Now most can. ... or at least the atv can :)

zedsdead
Aug 12, 2008, 06:04 AM
For HB 0.9.2 on the mac its right in the main window above the tabs, its only enabled when you have the format set to mp4. For 0.9.1 there is a preference you have to turn on in preferences so that it becomes active in the main window.

The reason for this is because back when 0.9.1 was out, almost no device besides a computer could play a 64 bit mp4 file. Now most can. ... or at least the atv can :)

I don't see any checkbox at all. Under preferences it's there and it says it breaks compatibly for iPod's and Streaming to the Apple TV...is that still true?

eclipse525
Aug 12, 2008, 06:46 AM
I remember seeing a response asking about the PS3. I've tried using various setting and although they work fine on my iMac and iPod, I can't seem to get them to play/stream to my PS3. The PS3 see's the file but won't play it. I get a wrong/incompatible file format. Has anyone had success with a certain setting in handbrake for the PS3? Thanks!

~e

dynaflash
Aug 12, 2008, 02:34 PM
I don't see any checkbox at all. Under preferences it's there and it says it breaks compatibly for iPod's and Streaming to the Apple TV...is that still true?

No, its not true for the atv (v. 2.xxx). Look under preferences and see if there is a checkbox there to enable it in the main interface.

bacaramac
Aug 16, 2008, 07:33 PM
I remember seeing a response asking about the PS3. I've tried using various setting and although they work fine on my iMac and iPod, I can't seem to get them to play/stream to my PS3. The PS3 see's the file but won't play it. I get a wrong/incompatible file format. Has anyone had success with a certain setting in handbrake for the PS3? Thanks!

~e

My settings on Post 21 work on my PS3 if 64Bit is NOT used. I am not sure about the 5.1 as my PS3 is not currently hooked up to a 5.1 system, but there is sound.

Mac In School
Aug 25, 2008, 06:29 AM
So, what are y'all using for your framerates? I selected "Same As Source". That seemed logical at the time, but I'm afraid I may have misunderstood what this means. The movie I ripped was a little choppy when left-to-right motion appeared on-screen, and sometimes during scene changes.

Thanks.

bacaramac
Aug 25, 2008, 11:35 AM
So, what are y'all using for your framerates? I selected "Same As Source". That seemed logical at the time, but I'm afraid I may have misunderstood what this means. The movie I ripped was a little choppy when left-to-right motion appeared on-screen, and sometimes during scene changes.

Thanks.

If the framerate is 29.97 it is a TV show (video) vs. a Movie at around 24. If this is the case, you need to use VFR and deinterlace (I think, I am not at home right now) and your problem should be fixed.

dynaflash
Aug 25, 2008, 12:30 PM
If the framerate is 29.97 it is a TV show (video) vs. a Movie at around 24. If this is the case, you need to use VFR and deinterlace (I think, I am not at home right now) and your problem should be fixed.

Well, depending which HB version you are using, you are seeing macroblocking which has always been an issue with x264 to one degree or another. However, I would suggest getting our dev snapshot and see how that works for you http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6059 .

It uses a newer version of x264 which employs Dark_Shikari's VAQ (Variable Adaptive Quantization). In short the macroblocking which is mostly evident in dark scenes is all but eliminated. Its really awesome imho to the point where I am encoding my stuff at a lower bitrate for the same quality I used back with HB 0.9.2.

Having said that, if you encode at a low enough bitrate and try to stretch it across a big enough screen you will inevitably see macroblocking, its unavoidable in extreme circumstances as is mentioned correctly above.

The analogy would be to take a nice 4 x 6 photo and go get it blown up to poster size. Pixelation or macroblocking is inevitable.

However, try that dev snapshot, you should see a marked difference. :)

Mac In School
Aug 31, 2008, 02:48 PM
I just downloaded it, but haven't ripped anything yet. If I understand it correctly, I can use my old preset (developed from this thread), right? What you're describing that makes things better isn't a new feature/setting?

Thanks.

MrCatMan
Oct 16, 2008, 06:57 AM
Hi... I am in the process of ripping DVD's via Handbrake after running through Mac the Ripper.

The process is working and the Films and TV SHows are coming over really well in about 98% of times.

Handbrake is telling me that there is a new version. Is it worth getting it? I am worried about fixing something that ain't broke.

How will I benefit. More speed would be useful..

Regards

MrCatMan

dynaflash
Oct 16, 2008, 02:20 PM
Give this a try:
http://handbrake.fr/?article=snapshot

You can always go back if you want.

uva25
Oct 17, 2008, 12:30 PM
I just did a movie and when I click on the movie in finder, it opens Quicktime and the movie is in B&W. I used the Apple TV preset and when I previewed the picture there was color. I haven't tried it yet on the Apple tv but would there be a reason for the B&W when playing in Quicktime? Thanks.

RRutter
Oct 18, 2008, 11:49 PM
I keep trying to convert episode 1 season 1 of Sex and the City for my girlfriend, but it fails in the same spot and HandBrake crashes. LOL! HandBrake SUUCKS! :cool:

omni
Oct 19, 2008, 07:29 PM
I keep trying to convert episode 1 season 1 of Sex and the City for my girlfriend, but it fails in the same spot and HandBrake crashes. LOL! HandBrake SUUCKS! :cool:

My GF has that giant box set (http://www.amazon.com/Sex-City-Complete-Collectors-Giftset/dp/B0011UBDTK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1224462465&sr=8-3) - using snapshot 3 - not even ripping the disc or anything, handbrake had zero issues encoding season 1, episode 1. Just used the default AppleTV setting, only changing it to 2 pass with Turbo on the 1st pass.

HandBrake RUULES! :cool:

My guess is either your disc has an issue (scratch, dirty, etc) or something else just as simple.

eddyg
Oct 19, 2008, 09:07 PM

That's constructive, any one would think you were a child.

Why not bend your mind to solving issues rather than whinging about them on various media?

You can start off by sending me the crash report and the activity log, both of which may be found within ~/Library to eddyg@myreflection.org

Cheers, Ed.

eddyg
Oct 19, 2008, 09:09 PM
I just did a movie and when I click on the movie in finder, it opens Quicktime and the movie is in B&W. I used the Apple TV preset and when I previewed the picture there was color. I haven't tried it yet on the Apple tv but would there be a reason for the B&W when playing in Quicktime? Thanks.

Did you select "Grayscale Encoding" in HB, that's pretty much the only reason.

Cheers, Ed.

dynaflash
Oct 20, 2008, 10:53 AM
LOL! HandBrake SUUCKS! :cool:
Um, right ... and MKV is not a container ....

Alrescha
Oct 20, 2008, 05:14 PM

Zot!

(sound of lightning bolt from above)

RRutter
Oct 20, 2008, 09:04 PM

Lol, you're pathetic. You guys make that a comeback to everything I say! Come up with something new!! :D:D:D:D

NightStorm
Oct 20, 2008, 09:37 PM
How about... and eSATA is slower than firewire...

I don't know, I'm out of ideas.

Borjan
Nov 2, 2008, 05:09 PM
Just to confirm, I've followed the instructions on the thread, and am ending up with brilliant looking files, only they are around 1018 by 554 pixels in size...

These obviously play fine on the computer, but they still will be okay for the iPod correct? Bitrate is 2500kbp btw..

Tom B.
Nov 2, 2008, 05:43 PM
Just to confirm, I've followed the instructions on the thread, and am ending up with brilliant looking files, only they are around 1018 by 554 pixels in size...

These obviously play fine on the computer, but they still will be okay for the iPod correct? Bitrate is 2500kbp btw..

Unfortunately not... max 1500kbps for iPods.

Borjan
Nov 3, 2008, 11:30 AM
Unfortunately not... max 1500kbps for iPods.

But higher for the iPod Touches?

Also, what about the higher resolution that I mentioned?

Tom B.
Nov 3, 2008, 12:26 PM
But higher for the iPod Touches?

Also, what about the higher resolution that I mentioned?

sorry, that bit rate limit is the same for all iPods, including the iPhone. And from that resolution, it sounds as if your videos are anamorphic which is also not supported by iPods. Officially the max res for iPods is 640x480, however this is not the case as non-HD movies from iTunes are often 8xx pixels wide. So as long as you bit rates are 1500 or below and you do not use anamorphic, you don't really need to worry about the resolution.

Borjan
Nov 3, 2008, 01:14 PM
sorry, that bit rate limit is the same for all iPods, including the iPhone. And from that resolution, it sounds as if your videos are anamorphic which is also not supported by iPods. Officially the max res for iPods is 640x480, however this is not the case as no-HD movies from iTunes are often 8xx pixels wide. So as long as you bit rates are 1500 or below and you do not use anamorphic, you don't really need to worry about the resolution.

But I thought from the very tests done at the beginning of this thread, the iPhone was handling video at 2500kbps just fine... or am I missing something?

Tom B.
Nov 3, 2008, 01:19 PM
But I thought from the very tests done at the beginning of this thread, the iPhone was handling video at 2500kbps just fine... or am I missing something?

Sorry it seems I was the one missing something. :o

You should probably just ignore my last two posts. :(

MrCatMan
Nov 4, 2008, 04:56 AM
Well I am now getting through ripping 2 DVD's a night and have got through about 100 of my favourite UK Region 2 films.

Before loading on the other 300 UK films I have around 300 US Region 1 films which I would prefer to add as I rate them higher.

Every one that I have tried to rip I get a red and black error message saying their are some bad sectors and while the film may work it may miss some of the content. This error message is from Mac the Ripper as I use this before handbrake.

Is there a way around this? The message usually comes up after about 20 mins whereas a UK Region 2 film usually take 30-40 mins to run through.

There is a lot of content here that I would like access to so if the wise forum could help I would be greatful.

Rayne
Nov 5, 2008, 01:09 PM
So I'm having a brain lapse.

If I'm taking TV shows, which I believe are currently ripped in DivX, and convert them using this exact guide, the file size of the output is bigger, presumably because the bitrate is being increased with the conversion? What that says to me is that I don't need to use the preset created in this guide because it's excessive when doing a transcode anyway...but I don't know.

Am I right? Thoughts?

ScootPatoot
Nov 5, 2008, 01:15 PM
So I'm having a brain lapse.

If I'm taking TV shows, which I believe are currently ripped in DivX, and convert them using this exact guide, the file size of the output is bigger, presumably because the bitrate is being increased with the conversion? What that says to me is that I don't need to use the preset created in this guide because it's excessive when doing a transcode anyway...but I don't know.

Am I right? Thoughts?

I'm sure you know but obviously to get the best quality out of anything is to have the original. So if you only have a divx file and are converting it to m4v or mp4 then the quality will degrade. So if the divx file is encoded at 1500 kbps then there is no reason to convert it to a m4v/mp4 at 2500.

You can still use the preset (I'm not sure which one you are referring to) and just lower the bitrate to whatever the divx file is. The file still may be bigger but at least it won't be so much bigger with no difference in quality.

Rayne
Nov 5, 2008, 01:23 PM
I'm sure you know but obviously to get the best quality out of anything is to have the original. So if you only have a divx file and are converting it to m4v or mp4 then the quality will degrade. So if the divx file is encoded at 1500 kbps then there is no reason to convert it to a m4v/mp4 at 2500.

You can still use the preset (I'm not sure which one you are referring to) and just lower the bitrate to whatever the divx file is. The file still may be bigger but at least it won't be so much bigger with no difference in quality.

What's the best way to check the bitrate of a file on a Mac, anyhoo?

ScootPatoot
Nov 5, 2008, 01:32 PM

I have no idea. PC user here.

spice weasel
Nov 5, 2008, 01:53 PM

Select "Get Info" (or Cmd+I) for the file and it should tell you.

Rayne
Nov 5, 2008, 07:16 PM
Unless I'm missing something painfully obvious, it doesn't.

telecomm
Nov 6, 2008, 02:04 AM
Unless I'm missing something painfully obvious, it doesn't.

It does if you use that key combination in Quicktime.

heyp
Dec 14, 2008, 12:56 PM
what settings are best for a ps3 and iphone with the new HandBrake 0.9.3? Is CRF worth the extra time it takes to encode (seems like it takes about twice as long)?

eddyg
Dec 14, 2008, 08:15 PM
Select "Get Info" (or Cmd+I) for the file and it should tell you.

Cmd-I from the Finder on the file, look in the "More Info" area:

http://img.skitch.com/20081215-kft1y7gtm3q23mjmuhtawmam6t.preview.jpg (http://skitch.com/eddyg/6tu5/thomas-series-3-3.m4v-info)
Click for full size (http://skitch.com/eddyg/6tu5/thomas-series-3-3.m4v-info) - Uploaded with plasq (http://plasq.com)'s Skitch (http://skitch.com)

Or within QT Cmd-I will give you the video bitrate and total bitrate (total includes the audio tracks).

PluueeR
Jan 16, 2009, 06:30 AM
On some DVD's I get audio or video frame drops. Messages like 'audio time went backwards' or 'video time went backwards' in the log. Resulting in some hick-ups in the audio or the video. Anyone, an idea how I could solve this.

Do I need te repair the DVD stream or something?

Chaos123x
Jan 18, 2009, 03:55 AM
How do these files work with a Xbox 360 running connect360 or a TIVO with pytivox or mac2tivo?

I would like to convert all my movies with Handbrake to a format I can run on all of my boxes.

Macs, ipods, Iphone, Xbox360, Tivo, and eventually :apple:TV

What format would you suggest as good rounded for all these machines?

The TIVO just needs a file that Pytivox or mac2tivo can convert on the fly to mpeg2, it does not have to be mpeg2 on the server though.

smallthintiny
Feb 17, 2009, 02:38 PM
good post

d21mike
Feb 17, 2009, 03:10 PM
How do these files work with a Xbox 360 running connect360 or a TIVO with pytivox or mac2tivo?

I would like to convert all my movies with Handbrake to a format I can run on all of my boxes.

Macs, ipods, Iphone, Xbox360, Tivo, and eventually :apple:TV

What format would you suggest as good rounded for all these machines?

The TIVO just needs a file that Pytivox or mac2tivo can convert on the fly to mpeg2, it does not have to be mpeg2 on the server though.

The following can play M4V:

Macs, iPods, iPhone, Xbox360 (using Zune Server Software), AppleTV

Not sure about the others. But I think MPEG4 (m4v) is the direction most systems are going. I believe Windows 7 will have native support for it in WMP as well (not sure).

mabphotography
Apr 2, 2009, 05:09 PM
Finally got an :apple:TV hooked up!

Hit a few problems though, when ripping with HandBrake on the :apple:TV setting on the new version 0.9.3 all I am getting in :apple:TV is an error message reading that the movie is an Unrecognised Format, I double checked it is M4V.

So I am a little stumped, is there some tweaking out there that can fix me up? Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Matt.

twoodcc
Apr 19, 2009, 04:57 PM
what about HD sources?

roryapple
Apr 19, 2009, 05:27 PM
Presets on handbreak

ThE.MeSsEnGeR
Apr 30, 2009, 08:30 AM
Hey Everyone!

Can you guyz help me out?
it was until yesterday that I found out about HandBrake :o:o
and I'm Lovin' it!!
but the thing is, I'm ripping my DVD's.. but I want to be able to have the best quality for my MacBook (2.4 Ghz, White one) and my soon-to-buy iPhone..
I don't have an :apple:TV so I won't need to enhance my settings like the thread starter did..
so, what are my best options??

Thanks!

davemulheran
May 18, 2009, 07:33 AM
I am ripping ALL my DVD's and am using handbrake to convert to m4v

the settings I use are

Apple Universal
Tick 'web optimised'
and I add :nf=1 to the end of the advanced code string

This creates great versions that stream to my macmini & plex on my 40" HDTV AND upstairs to my apple TV

i dont know what the settings do.. but they work!

any opinions on them? could anything be changed to get better pictures?

average file sizes AFTER compression are around 1.5 GB from a 5-6GB TS_Folder

Undecided
May 20, 2009, 11:32 AM
I downloaded the Hunt for Gollum movie (flv) and converted it to Apple TV. The ATV preset scales down the resolution, but keeps the fps at whatever it's set at.

What if I want to do the opposite? That is, keep the resolution at 720p? Then what fps should I select? There doesn't seem to be a way to set it to be "max fps but no more than 25" or whatever. You have to select a specific fps. I selected 25 which worked ok, but in one or two spots the movement was a little stilted. Then of course there's variable fps, which I don't really understand how to deal with.

So, if you want to use Hanbrake to convert to ATV but keep the resolution at max (720p) what's the best way to handle the fps?

dynaflash
May 20, 2009, 12:24 PM
you have to set a specific frame rate.

Undecided
May 20, 2009, 12:32 PM
you have to set a specific frame rate.

OK, and what should I pick for the ATV? 24? 23.976? 25?

dynaflash
May 20, 2009, 12:49 PM
depends on what the source frame rate is. obviously to keep 720p you would pick 25 or less. 25 is typical PAL frame rate. If the source is 24 fps then just use same as source.

If the framerate is higher than 25 personally I would scale down to 540p and keep the source framerate. Forcing a lower frame rate causes to many jitters imo. The atv scales up pretty well.

eddyg
May 21, 2009, 07:06 PM
Look in the Activity Log at what framerate the source is, and manually select a framerate that is divisible by that and less than 25. That way HB only has to discard every other frame.

E.g. I change 720p50 material into 720p25 and it works fine.

I guess with detelecine it gets more complicated, since you may want to detelecine first and then pick a new framerate - I'm not adept in that area though.

Cheers, Ed.

talkingfuture
Jun 12, 2009, 06:51 AM
Not sure if this is the right place for this question but here goes.

I've been trying to rip my 30 Rock DVD's with Handbrake to play in iTunes, my iPod and maybe in future an :apple:TV. It says on the box that it is copy protected, when I try to rip it I end up with sound but a scrambled up image. Is this because of the copy protection? Is there any way around it? Or am I just using the wrong settings?

Superman07
Jun 21, 2009, 07:50 PM
Any idea if the new 3GS can support higher bit rate files? The website indicates it supports the same rate as the 3G, but given that the hardware and ram are increased I'm surprised the video rate that it supports isn't higher as well.

Flash SWT
Jun 22, 2009, 12:02 AM
I've been trying to rip my 30 Rock DVD's with Handbrake to play in iTunes, my iPod and maybe in future an :apple:TV. It says on the box that it is copy protected, when I try to rip it I end up with sound but a scrambled up image. Is this because of the copy protection? Is there any way around it? Or am I just using the wrong settings?

I'd try ripping with a different application first and only using Handbrake to encode.

I've only used the trial so far but it seems to work just fine:
http://ripitapp.com/

It doesn't have the options to only rip specific parts of a DVD like Mac The Ripper but that has gotten a little crazy to get the newest version so I haven't bothered.

talkingfuture
Jun 22, 2009, 02:29 AM
I'd try ripping with a different application first and only using Handbrake to encode.

I've only used the trial so far but it seems to work just fine:
http://ripitapp.com/

It doesn't have the options to only rip specific parts of a DVD like Mac The Ripper but that has gotten a little crazy to get the newest version so I haven't bothered.

Thanks, I'll give it a try later.

EDIT: Tried it, worked brilliantly thanks.

NiklasK
Jun 27, 2009, 12:37 AM
Anybody tried the latest snapshot of Handbrake. The releasenotes states it supports "softsubs and cc", but I can only get softsubs implemented if there is a CC subtitle track, all other subs are still being hardcoded into the video.

/Niklas

sonictonic
Jun 27, 2009, 01:01 AM
I've poked through a lot of this thread but have not found a current and specific answer to my question... :(

What is the best possible setting I can use to sync with my Apple TV and the iPhone 3GS? Has anyone figured it out yet, and if the new 3GS will support more than the old iPhones? I used to use the "iPod High Res" option but I know the iPhone and Apple TV can handle better, but I have no clue what to adjust because so many of these threads get so detailed and complicated. :p

Can someone help me out please? iPhone 3GS + Apple TV, that's all I need. :D

eddyg
Jun 27, 2009, 04:01 AM
Anybody tried the latest snapshot of Handbrake. The releasenotes states it supports "softsubs and cc", but I can only get softsubs implemented if there is a CC subtitle track, all other subs are still being hardcoded into the video.

/Niklas

MP4 only supports text based soft subs, DVDs have Closed Captions as Text and the subtitles as pictures.

If using MKV you can have both text and pictures as soft subs.

Or you can wait for the next snapshot that includes SRT reading support so that you can download your SRTs and mux them into your MP4 as soft subs.

Cheers, Ed.

NiklasK
Jun 29, 2009, 01:58 AM
Since IŽm not sure if I dare to post this at the HB forum, I thought IŽd ask you guys :)

Anybody tried the new snapshot. A few major "upgrades" and some minor. Have you changed any settings from the 0.9.3 release or are you using the same presets and tweaks?

/Niklas

GRuizMD
Aug 5, 2009, 12:32 PM
MP4 only supports text based soft subs, DVDs have Closed Captions as Text and the subtitles as pictures.

If using MKV you can have both text and pictures as soft subs.

Or you can wait for the next snapshot that includes SRT reading support so that you can download your SRTs and mux them into your MP4 as soft subs.

Cheers, Ed.

Actually Im adding subs to every single dvd that I rip... I get the subs from the web, prep them with Jubler and attach them with Subler. ATV reads this subs brilliantly and let you choose wich type or language you want.

it takes 2 min to do for every single file.

eddyg
Aug 5, 2009, 05:34 PM
Actually Im adding subs to every single dvd that I rip... I get the subs from the web, prep them with Jubler and attach them with Subler. ATV reads this subs brilliantly and let you choose wich type or language you want.

it takes 2 min to do for every single file.

The new HandBrake will also do what Subler does.

Cheers, Ed.

GRuizMD
Aug 6, 2009, 07:07 PM
The new HandBrake will also do what Subler does.

Cheers, Ed.

ETA for this new version?

courtnej
Aug 24, 2009, 07:11 AM
A few questions if I may - I have a few foreign films in avi format with a subtitle file seperate - is there a way I can convert it to m4v with the subtitle track included? Is this what people have been saying the handbrake will do? (Until then, anyway to do it?)
Also wondering what the advantage of soft subs are? And can they be used on Front Row?

Cheers

pilotrtc
Aug 24, 2009, 07:44 AM
A few questions if I may - I have a few foreign films in avi format with a subtitle file seperate - is there a way I can convert it to m4v with the subtitle track included? Is this what people have been saying the handbrake will do? (Until then, anyway to do it?)
Also wondering what the advantage of soft subs are? And can they be used on Front Row?

Cheers

There's an "Audio & Subtitles" tab in the middle of the Handbrake screen.

courtnej
Aug 24, 2009, 12:13 PM
Yeh but as far as I can see this is just for when ripping a dvd not when converting a video file with a seperate subtitles file..?

eddyg
Aug 24, 2009, 02:05 PM
Yeh but as far as I can see this is just for when ripping a dvd not when converting a video file with a seperate subtitles file..?

Using the latest snapshot of hb (yesterday) you select your avi as input and then from the subtitle tab import your SRT subtitle track. It should all work as expected.

Cheers Ed

courtnej
Aug 24, 2009, 02:17 PM
Ah okay ill check it out, cheers boyo

courtnej
Aug 27, 2009, 01:54 PM
Okay Ive been using the new handbrake and successfully merged an avi files with a subs file to create one video file which seemed to work great in iTunes and iPhone but is just blank in FrontRow :(
Anyone got a solution to this?

GermanSuplex
Aug 27, 2009, 07:55 PM
I've poked through a lot of this thread but have not found a current and specific answer to my question... :(

What is the best possible setting I can use to sync with my Apple TV and the iPhone 3GS? Has anyone figured it out yet, and if the new 3GS will support more than the old iPhones? I used to use the "iPod High Res" option but I know the iPhone and Apple TV can handle better, but I have no clue what to adjust because so many of these threads get so detailed and complicated. :p

Can someone help me out please? iPhone 3GS + Apple TV, that's all I need. :D

A bit late... I'm sure you've figured out your preferred settings by now.

For me, I do different things for movies and TV Shows.

For movies, the iPhone, iPod Classic (2007 version) and my Apple TV all support 720x480. I convert my movies via Handbrake with the Apple Universal setting, and only tweak the audio. This gives me DVD-resolution video that plays on everything and looks great on everything, including my HDTV via the Apple TV.

For TV Shows, I will do the same if the show is movie-esque, such as 24, Prison Break, The Sopranos, Lost, etc.

If it's a sitcom or show where I'm less concerned about audio, I still use the Unviversal preset but take the resolution down to 640x480 and usually do away with the AC-3 track and just go for a single AAC audio track. The video still looks very decent on everything, but TV Shows sometimes have large file sizes. Most half-hour shows I've encoded come to an average of 250mb (which is fine for me), but I sometimes have an odd episode that comes out at around 400mb (because of the VBR encoding) and I will usually go back to that episode and re-encode it with a lower bitrate to lower the file-size. Its rare that I have to do this (I've encoded probably over 400 episodes of TV) and have only had to do it about three times.

But to sum things up in simplest terms and if you don't care about multiple audio tracks (i.e. commentary, 5.1 audio), then just do the Universal pre-set and you'll end up with a file that plays on everything (except the 5G iPod video) and looks good on everything.

dynaflash
Sep 24, 2009, 01:51 AM
The iPhone 3GS *will* play the HB built in appletv preset.
http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12204#p60963

rogervzv
Sep 28, 2009, 09:22 AM
The iPhone 3GS *will* play the HB built in appletv preset.
http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12204#p60963

Yes. Confirmed.

obey908
Oct 28, 2009, 07:37 PM
i just tried ripping my first mkv, the picture quality was great, but the sound was very messed up. I just selected apple tv mode.

Also it took like 20 hours on my new 13"mbp, is that right? file was 6gb's

MacFly123
Nov 2, 2009, 08:11 PM
Someone please help!!! I can NOT get my DVDs to rip in the proper 2.35:1 and 1.85:1 aspect ratios! :(

I have tried everything I know. I have researched all of the different settings and so on...
http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/AnamorphicGuide

I am a film-maker so it is not like I am a stranger to this, yet I can't get Handbrake to maintain the aspect ratio of my DVDs!

With everything I have tried so far, 2.35:1 ends up more like 1.85:1 on my Apple TV, and 1.85:1 ends up like 16:9 (1.78:1) on my Apple TV.

dynaflash
Nov 2, 2009, 09:20 PM
With everything I have tried so far, 2.35:1 ends up more like 1.85:1 on my Apple TV, and 1.85:1 ends up like 16:9 (1.78:1) on my Apple TV.
check the exact width and height in vlc or quicktime. you should find it works out to the correct display ratio. more detail beside "more like" would be needed to troubleshoot.

MacFly123
Nov 3, 2009, 12:18 AM
check the exact width and height in vlc or quicktime. you should find it works out to the correct display ratio. more detail beside "more like" would be needed to troubleshoot.

It has to do with square pixels and anamorphic stretched pixels. It may end up as the "correct" pixel ratio, but it does not maintain the same aspect ratio from when I play the actual DVD on my 42" plasma, and when I play that same DVD ripped from Handbrake on my 42" plasma with my Apple TV. It does not matter what settings I use, strict, loose, none.

The only way I can get it to force the same aspect ratio on screen as the actual DVD is to select none, and uncheck maintain aspect ratio, then manually squish the height. When I do that, 720x288 ends up as the right aspect ratio on screen as a 1.85:1 DVD, and 720x224 ends up as the right aspect ratio on screen as a 2.35:1 DVD.

wombat888
Jan 16, 2010, 07:28 PM
I have Toast Titanium 9, purchased for other reasons, but it also rips DVDs to iTunes format. I know Handbrake is free, but since I already have Toast - which should I use?

One area of interest (see different thread) is ripping fan-made DVDs that contain PAL content originally from European TV broadcasts. My TV doesn't like PAL so I can't play the DVDs themselves on the TV system (could play it on my old TV and on my laptop). So I'd like to get the DVD to the Apple TV in a non-PAL format with the maximum quality.

Gregoryt
Jan 18, 2010, 12:09 AM
I recently purchased a box set cd/dvd package of 60's band Procul Harum . I wish to rip dvd to play on appletv . when handbrake scans the disc I only get a 33 minute segment which says is chapters 1 to 7 . yet this is only a portion of the content of the DVD .There are 3 other concerts on the menu page that handbrake doesn't recognise . How do I extract all the other goodies on the dvd ? Gregoryt

ironjaw
Jan 21, 2010, 09:41 PM
Have you ripped the disc to your hard drive first or are you encoding directly from the dvd?

StruckANerve
Mar 5, 2010, 01:41 PM
I have been trying to encode some of my DVD's and when I stream them to my xbox the encodes have a very slight jitter or stutter to them. And when I mean slight it is barely noticeable but something is not right. It's usually only when the camera is panning across or there is fast movement. I am encoding h.264 in .mp4 at 2500kbs and using same as source for the FPS.

I am streaming wireless to my router from my Imac and then am hardwired to my xbox. My router does support gigabit ethernet and wireless N.

obey908
Mar 28, 2010, 05:46 PM
Where do you guys put constant quality at, when using the apple tv preset?

dvdflashbacks
Apr 2, 2010, 01:42 AM
Has anyone been able to successfully backup Sherlock Holmes Bluray?

I have tried for a couple of days using Makemkv (latest build) exporting both versions (one stream appears to be the regular movie and the other is the blu live enabled one with an intro from Guy Ritchie so they are three minutes different in length). Both of these .mkv files seem to crash Handbrake around half way through.

Any thoughts?

mkbrogers
Apr 3, 2010, 01:00 AM
Hey,
Hoping someone can help - i'm only just starting to rip my dvd's to store them on my NAS. Im using Handbrake using the Apple TV preset - the only change I am making is removing any secondary audio stream and setting the audio to AC3 Passthrough so I can get the full 5.1 sound.

Anyway the 2 dvd's Ive tried - worked but Im getting Subtitles displayed - but not the subtitles of the movie - Im getting a display of the chapter Number down the bottom of the screen. This doesnt exist when playing using VLC on the Mac , but shows up on my other devices like the Tvix 6640 and the apple tv.

Turning subtitles off doesnt change anything on the devices.

Any suggestions ?
Thanks
Mat

GermanSuplex
Apr 23, 2010, 08:10 AM
Has anyone been able to successfully backup Sherlock Holmes Bluray?

I have tried for a couple of days using Makemkv (latest build) exporting both versions (one stream appears to be the regular movie and the other is the blu live enabled one with an intro from Guy Ritchie so they are three minutes different in length). Both of these .mkv files seem to crash Handbrake around half way through.

Any thoughts?

I had the same problem with a couple of Blu-Rays, I found out it was the audio track I was choosing. Choose a different audio track if you can and omit any extra audio tracks.

dvdflashbacks
Apr 26, 2010, 06:00 AM
I had the same problem with a couple of Blu-Rays, I found out it was the audio track I was choosing. Choose a different audio track if you can and omit any extra audio tracks.

I am 100% this is the correct audio track. I have tested several chapters and most rip fine in Handbrake. But if I try to rip the entire movie it always crashes at the same spot.

Is there any good alternative to Handbrake to make an mp4 for use on aTV?

GermanSuplex
Apr 26, 2010, 06:45 AM
All I can suggest is seeing if you have another 5.1 AC-3 track to choose from, or a stereo AC-3 track on the Blu-Ray to remake your MKV and reconvert. That was the only way I was able to convert The Wrestler, I think. It didn't like the first audio track I chose and kept crashing about a third of the way through the encode. I remade the mkv with another track and it accepted it.

maduc
Apr 27, 2010, 02:41 AM
Hi out there

I play all my video DVD's through AppleTV. It's quite a burden because you have to rip them, convert them and then they're on your Macbook AND (after syncing) on ATV. So I bought ATVflash to be able to put my video's on ATV without having them on my computer too; and Toast to be able to convert my DVD's to mp4. And now that won't work. Toast tells me it's illegal. In what way is this illegal? The're my own DVD's; I don't want to have to put back a DVD player with an extra remote in the living. At Roxio they remove this question from their forum. What is the best thing to do?

Thanx Maarten D (maduc)

ravenvii
May 2, 2010, 02:05 AM
Hi out there

I play all my video DVD's through AppleTV. It's quite a burden because you have to rip them, convert them and then they're on your Macbook AND (after syncing) on ATV. So I bought ATVflash to be able to put my video's on ATV without having them on my computer too; and Toast to be able to convert my DVD's to mp4. And now that won't work. Toast tells me it's illegal. In what way is this illegal? The're my own DVD's; I don't want to have to put back a DVD player with an extra remote in the living. At Roxio they remove this question from their forum. What is the best thing to do?

Thanx Maarten D (maduc)

Under the DMCA it is illegal to circumvent any copy protection. So yes it is illegal to rip your own DVDs because you are circumventing the copy protection on the disc.

There's a fair use defense here, but from the recent decisions of the courts regarding the DMCA and anti-circumvention laws, the future of any fair use defenses looks dim.

In other words, go ahead and rip your DVDs, I'm doing the same. But don't claim that it's legal.

^^ CoolMacLover
May 7, 2010, 09:43 PM
Ok question,

say i have a move like... 2012. There are parts of it where the non-english speaking people talk, it has subtitles. But when i handbreak it, they arent there. How I get it so they are there? But i dont want full subtitles for the whole movie.

eddyg
May 8, 2010, 03:26 AM
Ok question,

say i have a move like... 2012. There are parts of it where the non-english speaking people talk, it has subtitles. But when i handbreak it, they arent there. How I get it so they are there? But i dont want full subtitles for the whole movie.

http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Subtitles

look for the section about forced subtitles.

Cheers Ed.

eddyg
Jun 23, 2010, 05:19 AM
DVD Ripper Pro,easy to use and all-in-one DVD ripper

But does it handle subtitles? Can it detect forced subs?

But to be fair there is a need for an idiot proof version of handbrake.

Cheers Ed.

cfclark82
Aug 6, 2010, 07:40 AM
hi use hand brake to rip my dvds and store them in itunes, but when i play it on my apple tv the picture quality is very poor. it seems to have trouble seperating black and white. but plays fine on my computer and my ipad. any suggestions

Hdunlopclark
Dec 7, 2010, 09:53 AM
Hello,

All I want to do is rip DVD's and tv series on to my iMac on an external. Then stream them to a apple tv2. I dont want to watch them on the iMac. What is the best setting to have it on? The apple tv setting? Also, I have the 64 bit version of handbrake. Is that okay?

Thanks

Cibbersicks
Dec 27, 2010, 04:21 AM
My brother got 'Up' for Christmas on DVD, he's asked me to rip it so it can be played via our Apple TV's around the house.
Using advice from here I solved my storage issue by storing my movies on my Timecapsule to save HD space on my iMac/MacBook so I thought I'd post on here to get more excellent advice.

I've ripped about 6 DVD's using Handbrake and it's worked perfectly, the video/audio quality is perfect, but I've encountered a problem with 'Up'. I've tried to rip it twice, but each time I do, the finished video is not in order as it plays, it's only 97mins long and 2mins into the video it jumps to about 1/2 way through the film, and the credits roll before the end, playing more of the film after.
What am I doing wrong? Is it a faulty disc or a security feature to stop you ripping the disc?

Cheers

Tom

adammull
Dec 30, 2010, 08:57 PM
My brother got 'Up' for Christmas on DVD, he's asked me to rip it so it can be played via our Apple TV's around the house.
Using advice from here I solved my storage issue by storing my movies on my Timecapsule to save HD space on my iMac/MacBook so I thought I'd post on here to get more excellent advice.

I've ripped about 6 DVD's using Handbrake and it's worked perfectly, the video/audio quality is perfect, but I've encountered a problem with 'Up'. I've tried to rip it twice, but each time I do, the finished video is not in order as it plays, it's only 97mins long and 2mins into the video it jumps to about 1/2 way through the film, and the credits roll before the end, playing more of the film after.
What am I doing wrong? Is it a faulty disc or a security feature to stop you ripping the disc?

Cheers

Tom

Security feature. Pop the disc in your computer, open the Apple Dvd player and wait till the movie starts playing. Go to the "GO" menu at the top, click down to title, and see what track its playing. Some movies, mostly Disney, have like 99 tracks, all about the same length, to throw off Handbrake from ripping the movie. But now that you know what track is the "real" track, thanks to the Apple DVD player, you just go back to handbrake and set it to rip that track, say "14" or whatever it is, instead of the one handbrake automatically picked, which was in the wrong order. You will rarely have to do this, I have found it only happening with Disney movies.

Cibbersicks
Dec 31, 2010, 02:26 PM
Security feature. Pop the disc in your computer, open the Apple Dvd player and wait till the movie starts playing. Go to the "GO" menu at the top, click down to title, and see what track its playing. Some movies, mostly Disney, have like 99 tracks, all about the same length, to throw off Handbrake from ripping the movie. But now that you know what track is the "real" track, thanks to the Apple DVD player, you just go back to handbrake and set it to rip that track, say "14" or whatever it is, instead of the one handbrake automatically picked, which was in the wrong order. You will rarely have to do this, I have found it only happening with Disney movies.

Many thanks for your response, I'll give that a go!

Tom

Hammie
Jan 22, 2011, 08:03 AM
Hey guys,

I'm sure there is someone here who can tell me what I am doing wrong. I have both an ATV1 and ATV2 in my house. I have been ripping my old DVD's so my kids can watch some of their movies in a room that only has an ATV2 and no DVD/BD player.

I have ripped about 70 of their movies and we have slowly realized that more than half have no audio. All were ripped using the same Apple TV preset in the most recent release of Handbrake. Can anyone make out why the audio doesn;t work on either ATV?

Oh, I just checked and there is no audio when played directly on my Mac Mini within iTunes either.

Thanks in advance!

ThisIsNotMe
Jan 31, 2011, 09:38 PM
Ug. I cannot solve this black level detail issue I am having.

I have tried high profile and ATV2 presets. I have tried bumping down the RF value on both of those with no luck.

Lets fine in VLC on the PC and Quicktime/VLC on the mac side.

Looks like **** on the ATV2 and PS3. Gr.

MacRy
Mar 21, 2011, 04:47 PM
My wonderful wife bought me an ATV2 for my birthday and I wanted to start converting our DVD collection into movies to stream from my MacBook. I already have a few I have converted for my iPad and these stream fine and the quality is pretty good too. The thing is I wanted to be able to convert with 5.1 audio too. I fired up handbrake, threw a DVD in the drive and chose the Apple TV 2 preset. After a couple of hours it had encoded and I added it to my iTunes library and played it to check it worked ok on the MacBook. It worked fine so I tried streaming it to the ATV2 through both home sharing and AirPlay but I just got an error message on the MacBook and the ATV2 I hadn't messed with any of the settings so I don't know what I did wrong. I ideally want to be able to watch the encoded movie on my iPad and also stream it from my MacBook to the ATV2. What settings do I need to tell it to enable both of these and have 5.1 audio on the ATV2 and stereo on the iPad? I'm very confused......and apparently rubbish at this

RaceTripper
Mar 21, 2011, 06:12 PM
My wonderful wife bought me an ATV2 for my birthday and I wanted to start converting our DVD collection into movies to stream from my MacBook. I already have a few I have converted for my iPad and these stream fine and the quality is pretty good too. The thing is I wanted to be able to convert with 5.1 audio too. I fired up handbrake, threw a DVD in the drive and chose the Apple TV 2 preset. After a couple of hours it had encoded and I added it to my iTunes library and played it to check it worked ok on the MacBook. It worked fine so I tried streaming it to the ATV2 through both home sharing and AirPlay but I just got an error message on the MacBook and the ATV2 I hadn't messed with any of the settings so I don't know what I did wrong. I ideally want to be able to watch the encoded movie on my iPad and also stream it from my MacBook to the ATV2. What settings do I need to tell it to enable both of these and have 5.1 audio on the ATV2 and stereo on the iPad? I'm very confused......and apparently rubbish at thisIt's not enough to say that you got an error message. You need to let us know what the error message stated.

Using the Apple TV 2 preset should have worked. It does for me. Anyway, we need to know what your error message is if you are looking to get help with it.

MacRy
Mar 22, 2011, 01:06 PM
So I probably shouldn't have deleted the file before posting then. Oops :)

I'll give other another bash and report back.

Waragainstsleep
Mar 31, 2011, 08:04 AM
I sue Handbrake to convert movies from mkv to mp4/m4v on two different laptops. One original MacBook and an original unibody MBP. For the last few versions of Handbrake/VLC the MacBook encodes no longer work on my original ATV. They are fine under OS X on both machines. Quicklook, Quicktime, VLC and iTunes play them back just fine but the ATV either skips and freezes a lot, plays just the audio of freezes very quickly after starting and if not stopped quick enough will actually crash and reboot itself.

I have updated versions once or twice since it started happening but no change. Any ideas?

Jony Mac
May 9, 2011, 07:16 PM
My wonderful wife bought me an ATV2 for my birthday and I wanted to start converting our DVD collection into movies to stream from my MacBook. I already have a few I have converted for my iPad and these stream fine and the quality is pretty good too. The thing is I wanted to be able to convert with 5.1 audio too. I fired up handbrake, threw a DVD in the drive and chose the Apple TV 2 preset. After a couple of hours it had encoded and I added it to my iTunes library and played it to check it worked ok on the MacBook. It worked fine so I tried streaming it to the ATV2 through both home sharing and AirPlay but I just got an error message on the MacBook and the ATV2 I hadn't messed with any of the settings so I don't know what I did wrong. I ideally want to be able to watch the encoded movie on my iPad and also stream it from my MacBook to the ATV2. What settings do I need to tell it to enable both of these and have 5.1 audio on the ATV2 and stereo on the iPad? I'm very confused......and apparently rubbish at this

I use the AppleTV 2 setting for my movies. These work fine on my MacBook, AppleTV 2, and iPhone.

The only thing different I do is uncheck the "Large File Size" Box in the video settings. I dont change anything else.

traehekat
May 21, 2011, 08:38 AM

Gregoryt
May 22, 2011, 02:54 AM
Handbraking a movie recently I noticed when scanning the source it came up with 99 chapters .
There was only 19 chapters in the movie . The problem was after encoding the movie it was completely scrambled . Starting again with the opening titles after 20 minutes into the movie.
The next attempt the encode was truncated by about 40 minutes , after googling some help the answer seemed to be open the dvd in the player and try to locate the source or file it was playing, this was difficult with 99 files to choose from.
It looks like a good movie since I have seen it all except completely out of
sequence .Any answers ?

bacaramac
Jun 6, 2011, 09:00 AM
Handbraking a movie recently I noticed when scanning the source it came up with 99 chapters .
There was only 19 chapters in the movie . The problem was after encoding the movie it was completely scrambled . Starting again with the opening titles after 20 minutes into the movie.
The next attempt the encode was truncated by about 40 minutes , after googling some help the answer seemed to be open the dvd in the player and try to locate the source or file it was playing, this was difficult with 99 files to choose from.
sequence .Any answers ?

My guess is it is picking up the wrong title. When I have this issue I play the DVD in VLC and see what title is playing and then open title specific in Handbrake so it only loads that title. Try this and see if it works.

chercm
Jun 25, 2011, 10:41 PM
i am getting low volume while playing the handbrake converted video on apple tv

Ronnoco
Jul 7, 2011, 03:51 PM
sequence .Any answers ?
I remember reading that some copy protections use dozens of empty chapters to fool the copy software...could that be it?

Ronnoco
Jul 7, 2011, 03:52 PM
i am getting low volume while playing the handbrake converted video on apple tv

Same here...:mad:

itsjared
Aug 3, 2011, 05:20 PM
sequence .Any answers ?

Yeah this is due to copy protection...

I have found that if i want one touch ripping for Apple TV 2 I use WINX DVD Ripper for Mac. It instructs you to start the movie and see which title the DVD player is playing. That is the title to select when ripping the disc.

I use this software interchangeably with Handbrake. Actually I use WINX to rip and Handbrake to encode avi and mkv to m4v. WINX rips to mp4 and that plays nicely with ATV2.

rlu929s
Aug 17, 2011, 10:52 AM
If I'm encoding a movie that is widescreen 2:35:1 ratio and using the ATV2 preset.

Should the result be stretched? When I play these encodes, they look stretched. I can change the aspect to 2:35:1 on my player and that fixes it or I can change my TV mode, but I'd rather keep the exact source aspect ratio.

ImAvalon
Aug 22, 2011, 10:24 PM
not that great at converting stuff, but I gave up handbreak and picked up flv crunch, it works great on my part.

obsidian1200
Sep 4, 2011, 12:27 PM
If I'm encoding a movie that is widescreen 2:35:1 ratio and using the ATV2 preset.

Should the result be stretched? When I play these encodes, they look stretched. I can change the aspect to 2:35:1 on my player and that fixes it or I can change my TV mode, but I'd rather keep the exact source aspect ratio.

I don't see why it should look stretched, but what you can try is to set the anamorphic setting (found by clicking the 'picture settings' icon in the GUI) and changing anamorphic from 'loose' to 'strict'. If you know the proper dimensions of the 2:35:1 aspect ratio, you can always set anamorphic to 'custom' and manually change the dimensions of the film to be in the correct ratio. Again, I'd try encoding the movie with anamorphic set to 'strict' to see if that helps.

Sandman1969
Nov 23, 2011, 10:26 AM
I recently put the Twilight Movies into our iTunes for the wife and I had to use Ripit to decode the movie. Then I used Handbrake to read that file in and was able to get all three movies in without a hitch.

I used the iPad preset and it looked perfect on the AppleTV2 as well.

Not sure if it would have been better on the ATV2 with that preset, but looked fine with the iPad preset. That is what she wanted it for anyway to play on her iPad.

Woollie
Nov 30, 2011, 03:45 AM
Hiya all, is Handbrake the best app to use to rip my dvd collection? I'm not really having any issues using it, i just don't want to plough ahead then realize that i could of used something better.

I'm using the standard preset of ATV2

AdrianK
Dec 3, 2011, 05:52 AM
Hiya all, is Handbrake the best app to use to rip my dvd collection? I'm not really having any issues using it, i just don't want to plough ahead then realize that i could of used something better.

I'm using the standard preset of ATV2

It's not handbrake that encodes the video/audio, Handbrake is just the GUI for x264, CoreAudio etc. Those underlying utilities really are the best tools for the job, don't worry about it :)

Woollie
Dec 5, 2011, 05:43 AM
Nice one thanks

irnchriz
Feb 19, 2012, 05:07 AM
I use IVI pro from south pole software. It does a good job of ripping and converting video for my iPhones and :apple:tv

It also fetches show info and cover art then whacks the lot into iTunes.

Markiie
Mar 19, 2012, 01:45 PM
How long does it take for some of you to covert a 2 hr movie on Handbrake?

mic j
Mar 19, 2012, 03:14 PM
How long does it take for some of you to covert a 2 hr movie on Handbrake?

It's HB setting, source (dvd or blu ray) and computer (more processing power = faster). But I will give you a rough couple of examples from my MacBook Pro 2.66GHZ core Duo w 8gig ram. 5-6GB DVD.mkv using iPad 2 settings (RF=20), around an hour. 30GB BD.mkv using High Profile (recommendation for aTV 3, RF=20) around 11 hours...but it looks really good!

lecturenotes
Apr 21, 2012, 07:32 PM
I seem to have an issue with sound levels when burning for the apple tv.

I have aac(coreaudio) with mixdown as dolby surround for one audio track

and AC3 passthrough for the other codec.

Should i be setting the second one to AAC (coreaudio) for the codec and stereo for the mixdown?

I often don't run these on a surround system and i'm wondering if maybe i'm having trouble with the speech track because of this.

Cheers.

Cobra611
Jul 17, 2012, 01:48 AM
Ever since the latest update, 0.9.7 I believe, my movie transfers will not play. In the properties of the file, it will only show the size, such as 4.5gb but that's all. Before this issue, it would have more information and would load into iTunes immediately. Now, nothing. It's bad enough that HB takes so to process, but even worse when you realize that it was a complete waste of time. I have been building my movie collection non stop for the last month using Handbrake, with nothing but excellent results. This issue has me truly baffled and driving me crazy!! Anyone have a similar issue or know how to rectify this???

Thanks in advance!!!

mic j
Jul 17, 2012, 08:22 AM
Ever since the latest update, 0.9.7 I believe, my movie transfers will not play. In the properties of the file, it will only show the size, such as 4.5gb but that's all. Before this issue, it would have more information and would load into iTunes immediately. Now, nothing. It's bad enough that HB takes so to process, but even worse when you realize that it was a complete waste of time. I have been building my movie collection non stop for the last month using Handbrake, with nothing but excellent results. This issue has me truly baffled and driving me crazy!! Anyone have a similar issue or know how to rectify this???

Thanks in advance!!!
I think there is a bug in 0.9.7 that they are going to fix in a bug fix release. I would suggest you roll back to 0.9.6 until that is issued.

Update: I was just over at the HB forum and they have republished 0.9.7 and it appears to be working ok now. Might want to try deleting your current download and re-downloading 0.9.7.