PDA

View Full Version : The mythical midrange Mac minitower

redsteven
Feb 20, 2008, 01:08 AM
Sure, we've all THOUGHT about it before... but I found an article (about 7 months old) were Dan Frakes has put it into WRITING.

If only it were true: http://www.macworld.com/article/58562/2007/06/midrangemac.html

It could certainly fill the role of a gaming mac (without the cost of the Mac Pro)

dukebound85
Feb 20, 2008, 01:28 AM
there's always a hackintosh right lol

fblack
Feb 20, 2008, 08:42 AM
Well the writer did get one of his dreams come true...

With that wish—and prediction—out of the way, I can turn my attention to my next pipe dream: a smaller, lighter Mac notebook…

redsteven
Feb 20, 2008, 02:28 PM
Well the writer did get one of his dreams come true...

lol

but i'd rather THIS dream come true.

It's already got me thinking of what monitor I'd get with my mythical midrange mac minitower.
But then reality hits me and I get sad.

Consultant
Feb 22, 2008, 01:17 PM
lol

but i'd rather THIS dream come true.

It's already got me thinking of what monitor I'd get with my mythical midrange mac minitower.
But then reality hits me and I get sad.

Refurb Mac Pro = $1799 at apple store

Used Mac pro can probably be had for around $1,499 to $1,599.

booksacool1
Feb 23, 2008, 08:14 PM
Refurb Mac Pro = $1799 at apple store

Used Mac pro can probably be had for around $1,499 to $1,599.

Yeah, but for a mini tower to be successful, it needs normal DDR2 ram and a normal core series CPU.

Mini tower users (i.e. me) don't want to pay for server grade equipment for their highly un-mission critical purposes (i.e. gaming).

Everythingisnt
Feb 23, 2008, 10:38 PM
What a great article!

It makes me sad when I realize this won't happen for a while.

Hopefully, with more and more games being released for Macs, Apple will feel the pressure to build such a mythical gaming-oriented mac. :)

Ryox
Feb 27, 2008, 06:50 PM
yeah the Mac Pro is waay too powerful for the casual/semi-serious gamer but theres no way Apple will build a machine that potentially cut into the iMac's sales territory.

mdntcallr
Sep 7, 2008, 04:39 PM
anything new on this? i am ridiculously sad Apple keeps missing the void in their lineup, even as they sell more and more units.

CWallace
Sep 7, 2008, 04:41 PM
Nothing yet and likely nothing coming.