Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kuyu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
Louisville
I was at the local target Sunday and they had a $40 gift card with the purchase of a PS3. I popped for the 40gb model (don't care about PS2 games). I've had a 360 since launch and had a Wii for about a year until I sold it.

My impressions thus far...
-More "computer like" than a 360. XMB is neat but I like the 360 blades more
-Blu-ray is really pretty
-System is dead silent compared with my windtunnel 360
-I don't like the controller. The triggers are a nice addition but it feels light
-PLAYSTATION store is cool, but it needs a MAJOR overhaul. Too slow.
-Unit is good looking next to my entertainment center
-Love the startup sound and animation in XMB
-Why the $%^& do I have to install a demo? Can't the uber-cell do that while downloading like the 360?
-MLB the Show is a great demo
-It makes my Samsung HDTV "search for signals" everytime something starts up because it reboots slowly

All in all it's a good system with a lot of potential. Most of my gripes will/can be fixed with the rumble controller and some software updates. I'd say as a media center it's > 360. As a games console it's got some serious ground to make up.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It takes some getting used to.. But yeah I prefer blades too

-Blu-ray is really pretty
Deffo

-System is dead silent compared with my windtunnel 360
same here. That was the first thing I noticed. I know my elite isn't as noisy as the original launch machine I had but it's still noiser than the ps3

-I don't like the controller. The triggers are a nice addition but it feels light too light.
The dual shock 3 is 'heavier' but is still very light. I don't like the triggers, they are very clunky..

Always has been. Even downloads seem very slow in comparison. Also not enough game demos compared to marketplace

-Unit is good looking next to my entertainment center
It does look nice (from the right angle :) )

They are nice

-Why the $%^& do I have to install a demo? Can't the uber-cell do that while downloading like the 360?
Agree with this too. It's really bloody strange that you have to go through this time consuming process

-MLB the Show is a great demo
Havent Tried

-It makes my Samsung HDTV "search for signals" everytime something starts up because it reboots slowly
Yeah my Philips 42" LCD does the same

All in all it's a good system with a lot of potential. Most of my gripes will/can be fixed with the rumble controller and some software updates. I'd say as a media center it's > 360. As a games console it's got some serious ground to make up.
Agree with you here too. It's a potentially great system but has some major iritations. One of my biggest gripes is the AUDIO output. Why do I have to go into menu to change audio output source from HDMI to Optical ? Why the hell can't it output both ? Any DVD player can.. the 360 has no problem either, or even the PS2 for that matter... It's really stupid and ill thought out... It also looks to be a hardware oversight because you'd think they would have sorted it by now with a software update :eek:

simontarr

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
England
I'm looking to invest in a PS3 shortly now that the format war is pretty much over- it's still the cheapest blu-ray player here in the UK.

I'm not sure how much I would use it for a games machine though, as I have a 360 and I'm still mightily impressed with the graphics it can pump out, along with the sheer quantity of decent games. I think the PS3 will come into its own in a year or two- those 50GB discs will certainly come in handy.

[Slightly off topic- do you guys see any difference between the 360 and PS3 versions of GTA4? The GTA world is massive and I keep thinking that the extra capacity of the blu-ray discs will allow for a game with better textures etc.]

Anyway, it's good to hear about your impressions.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR

I purchased a PS3 almost a year ago, and I have the same thoughts as you. I keep thinking Sony will remedy some of the software problems via firmware updates, but they seem to be taking their time.

It's a system with so much potential, but its menus and software is just not as polished as the 360. The interface needs a complete overhaul—especially the media interface (Photos, Music, Videos, etc) and PSN Store.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
I love my PS3, the only thing lacking are more good games but aside from that it is an awesome gadget. The Blu-Ray player is an added benefit.

All in all i think the PS3 has a better library than the 360 right now. The 360 like the Wii has a TON of shovelware, the PS3 library might be small but there is far less shovelware on it than either of the competitions systems.

I like the PS3 since it offers a variety of games, the 360 tends to be "yay another large roided out space marine FPS game with REALLY shiney environments (cause we all know mountains give off massive reflections irl)" in its releases. The Wii on the other hand tends to be "here are a bunch of worthless minigames to waggle on", or the better "we added waggle to this port", on a side note i really hope they do Okami justice and dont just wagglefy it in the port.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
[Slightly off topic- do you guys see any difference between the 360 and PS3 versions of GTA4? The GTA world is massive and I keep thinking that the extra capacity of the blu-ray discs will allow for a game with better textures etc.]

The short answer is no! (The PS3 is the reason for the delay of GTA IV.)

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
All in all i think the PS3 has a better library than the 360 right now. The 360 like the Wii has a TON of shovelware, the PS3 library might be small but there is far less shovelware on it than either of the competitions systems.

I like the PS3 since it offers a variety of games, the 360 tends to be "yay another large roided out space marine FPS game" in its releases. The Wii on the other hand tends to be "here are a bunch of worthless minigames to waggle on", or the better "we added waggle to this port", on a side note i really hope they do Okami justice and dont just wagglefy it in the port.

I don't know about that. Sure it has some incredible games like COD4 or Uncharted but aside from that there is not much substance there. Even the new DMC4 doesn't look like the killer game although it is one of the better games for the PS3. But I think that by the end of this year it'll be a lot better when games like Killzone 2, GTA, Tekken 6, MGS4, Fallout 3, FFXIII, etc. come out.

chadrob30

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2007
In front of my Mac.
I bought the PS3 a few months ago to be used solely as a Blu Ray player. I did break down and buy Burnout Paradise for it, since a friend at work also has it. Great game. As far as games go for the PS3, pretty disappointing so far. However, with GTA 4 and GT 5 on the way, things will pick up.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
You forgot to add:
RESISTANCE IS AWESOME!

I've had a PS3 since the xmas launch back in 06 and it has come a loooong way. The User OS (XMB?) has had major enhancements and I feel that the PS3 is king now.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I don't know about that. Sure it has some incredible games like COD4 or Uncharted but aside from that there is not much substance there.

People still saying this when there are more than enough games on the system that is worthy....I'm not going to name games but I have a total of 13(exclusive/non) PS3 games and all are quality and I know your opinion differs than mine but the games are still there one year after release(much better than DMC:) )

I think the PS3 is a great system which has its flaws but like all consoles it will get better...I must admitt I wasn't impress when I got the system either but it growed on me(PSN without a doubt with the lag free online play) and now its my main console.

I'm looking foward to what Sony will bring to the table at GDC.

Bless

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
I've had my PS3 for just over a year now, and overall I'm pretty happy with the system, the XMB and the library of content. The hardware is silent, which is a big plus over my 360. When I finally replace my aging 47" 1080i RPTV with an HDMI 1080p LCD, I'll probably start buying some HD movies for it. Now that HD-DVD is on it's way out, maybe we'll finally get Firefly and Serenity on BR.:)
Since I got the PS3, I have only purchased a handful of 360 games, and I find myself rarely turning the 360 on anymore. I guess if I were a huge FPS fan, I'd get more use out of it. Of late I've been thinking about selling it and buying Lego Star Wars CS for the PS3, as the Lego SW games are really the only games I've played on my 360 lately, apart from Mass Effect.
If it weren't for several stellar first party Nintendo titles, I'd have probably sold off the Wii by now, too.

With the development costs running so high that only a few exclusives are getting produced for each system, there are far fewer reasons to have all the consoles in any generation anymore.

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
I like how much nicer XMB looks.

-I don't like the controller. The triggers are a nice addition but it feels light
I heard the DS3 is a lot heavier and nicer feeling.
I thought I heard something about a major update to it sometime.
Lol, after watching a DVD my volume is at about -35d and I usually play games around -60d. The start up is ALWAYS very loud for me :D.

Ya that's weird... maybe it's just unpacking. It isn't that bad.

Overall for me I like the PS3 better than the 360. I like the interface and the games. This year looks good for the PS3, it might even be the best this year! And I am looking forward to all the sweet exclusives (MGS4, GT5, LBP....)

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
People still saying this when there are more than enough games on the system that is worthy....I'm not going to name games but I have a total of 13(exclusive/non) PS3 games and all are quality and I know your opinion differs than mine but the games are still there one year after release(much better than DMC:) )

I think the PS3 is a great system which has its flaws but like all consoles it will get better...I must admitt I wasn't impress when I got the system either but it growed on me(PSN without a doubt with the lag free online play) and now its my main console.

I'm looking foward to what Sony will bring to the table at GDC.

Bless

But I would like you to name some games as I am really looking for games worth buying. I just haven't found much.

I have Resistance, COD4, Uncharted and NBA2k8. What else should I be looking into? I have played Ratchet & Clank and Burnout Paradse but I didn't like them that much.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
^Well games I suggest you look into:

PSN
Everyday Shooter
Pixel Junk Monster
Calling All Cars
Super Stardust HD
Flow(with the expansion)

I won't name the games you have or sport games beacause I don't play them except racing;)
Guitar Hero 3
Rockband
Oblivion...SI is on PSN
WarHawk...expansion pack out
Folklore...A lot of add ons
UT3...mods galore
Heavenly Sword....short by people standards but still good
Darkness
skate
NG: zigma
Motorstorm
Dirt
GRAW 2
LEGO Starwars
Orange Box....don't believe the crap on the net the game is still good on the PS3 but the 360/PC version is better.

There are others but if you check other sites they will give you the run down.

Bless

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The pissing contest still goes on.

Both the 360 and PS3 have good games and bad games. Just choose what suits you best, but to say categorically that either has a weaker selection of games simply because they are not the type of games you like is rather a weak position to take.

Both are great consoles. Neither game wise is overly better than the other either.

People can rest assured no matter what system they choose.

Stop pissing up walls and grow up people :rolleyes::rolleyes::mad:

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
^MRU what exactly are you talking about....theres no pissing in this thread just people giving there impression. Now if you are talking about me listing games then Diatribe wanted me to suggest some games for him so I did.

Wheres the piss, is it the same color as the wall?:)

Bless

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^MRU what exactly are you talking about....theres no pissing in this thread just people giving there impression. Now if you are talking about me listing games then Diatribe wanted me to suggest some games for him so I did.

Wheres the piss, is it the same color as the wall?:)

Bless

I wasnt posting a comment in reference to you 2ny, hence you weren't quoted ;)

But some comments in this thread were verging on the diretribe. On both sides of the fence.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
I'm looking forward to playing Fifa 08 and MBA 2k8 (Both of which I have ordered from overseas)

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
I wasnt posting a comment in reference to you 2ny, hence you weren't quoted ;)

But some comments in this thread were verging on the diretribe. On both sides of the fence.

Since you probably mean me, since I said I considered there to be less substance in the games for the PS 3 so far I have to comment.

First of all I don't think there has been any pissing and second of all you might wanna look up the meaning of "diatribe" you might be surprised what it actually means. ;)

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
The short answer is no! (The PS3 is the reason for the delay of GTA IV.)

What? Wasn't the 360 the cause of the delay? I remember reading about how the lack of a HD in the 360 was problem.

In any case, better release it later and more polished. It wasn't that big of a delay anyways, I hate games that get delayed TOO much (for example Spore) but if a game gets pushed back just a few months, it's not such a big deal.

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
Any multiplayer game will always be better on the 360 though. Sure the 360 has some truely awful games but that does not make it a bad system as such.

Not really... sure PSN needs some work but it seems like they might be fixing that. Cod4 isn't much different on 360. Warhawk is a great exclusive online game (with split-screen!). I'm just seeing a lack of split-screen games....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.