Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GotPro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 29, 2007
Argh... I've searched but not come up with a conclusive answer to my questions... so I apologize in advance.

Just got the new Mac Pro Quad 2.8 + 8800GT... with 2GB Ram.

Ordered 2 1 Gig Sticks from TransIntl... they look EXACTLY like the Apple Ram (I'm guessing this is a good thing).

Question about install, though...

I've installed them and they are working, but I'm wondering if I did it correctly:

When I had 2 1 Gig Sticks ala Stock... there was a single 1GB in the top riser, and a single 1GB in the bottom riser.

I added the TRANSINTL memory by adding one of the new sticks in the top riser, and one in the bottom riser... so that the both risers had 1 Apple Stick and 1 Aftermarket Stick...

Is this how I should have done it, or should I have put both Apple pieces in the top riser and both aftermarket pieces in the bottom riser?

And if so, why? Does it matter? It's working... just curious!

THANKS GUYS!

GotPro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 29, 2007
Hmmm... Why?

If that were the case, wouldn't the first matched pair from Apple both either be in the top riser or the bottom riser?

I'm just not understanding... and I'm trying to... and Apple's instructions do not make it clear either way!!!

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
Eek. Kakace is exactly right.

Instead of going to a web forum, why don't we consult the manual that came with your machine:

macproram.jpg

(page 46 if you're curious)

GotPro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 29, 2007
Eek. Kakace is exactly right.

Instead of going to a web forum, why don't we consult the manual that came with your machine:

macproram.jpg

(page 46 if you're curious)

D'OH!

THANK YOU! I'd looked at the Manual but didn't make it to page 46.. only made it to page 44... My Bad.

D'oh!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.