PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake 0.9.2

MacBytes
Feb 20, 2008, 02:33 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: Handbrake 0.9.2 (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080220153318)
Description:: Apple TV Take 2 file support, Leopard-only compatibility...

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Peel
Feb 20, 2008, 06:11 PM
Dolby Digital 5.1 (AC3) sound in MP4 files, for a true DVD experience on the AppleTV and in Perian.
Multi-track audio support for Apple devices
iPhone-compatible anamorphic video at its full size
Variable frame rate encoding with detelecine filtering
More flexible, "loose" anamorphic video
MP4 optimization for progressive web downloads
Dynamic range compression for encoding from AC3 audio
Robust program and transport stream support

Wow, those are some long awaited features, especially AC3 and multi-track audio support.

Great News!

twoodcc
Feb 20, 2008, 09:04 PM
i'm going to download and install now...

Peel
Feb 21, 2008, 01:27 AM
I noticed after upgrading from 0.9.1 that the new Apple TV AC3 format and iPhone/iPod Touch profiles didn't show up in the list. But after choosing "update built-in presets" from the presets menu they showed up along with about ten others.

lyzardking
Feb 21, 2008, 08:30 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: Handbrake 0.9.2 (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080220153318)
Description:: Apple TV Take 2 file support, Leopard-only compatibility...

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Leopard Only :(

MacFlavor
Feb 21, 2008, 04:57 PM
Excellent. I guess the developer who posted here last week recommending we not re-encode our libraries just yet was looking out for us.

Awesome news.

gkarris
Mar 11, 2008, 11:07 PM
I have this on my new MacBook. It can't seem to rip "Stargate: The Ark of Truth". Gives a garbled output.

Anyone else have problems?

I can use the older version (0.7.1) on my old Mini to rip the DVD, neither will work on my new MacBook...

The Grood
Mar 12, 2008, 06:55 AM
New to handbrake, but hoping to rip all my DVDs soon and then get an Apple TV in time for the launch of movie rentals in the UK.

New version of handbrake is Apple TV Take 2 compatible but needs Leopard.

Don't have Leopard on my iMac, so if I use the older version of handbrake will the movies not be usable on Apple TV when I get one?

Don't want to have to rip 100 movies more than once! Don't particularly need to upgrade to Leopard either...

Slightly confused. Any advice?

gkarris
Mar 12, 2008, 08:14 AM
^^^^^

I use the older version of Handbrake a lot still and you CAN watch them on your AppleTV.

You have to find the best settings for it (the new one has automatic settings) to suite the quality expected for your AppleTV.

I rip for a small screen (17" LCD in the bedroom) and for my iPhone anyways.

The Grood
Mar 12, 2008, 10:53 AM
Not very technical, so liking the sound of automtatic settings!

Is there a problem (settings wise) if I want the movies for iPhone and Apple TV?

ie to view the same ripped movie on a 50" plasma screen and on my iPhone?

Eidorian
Mar 12, 2008, 10:54 AM
I have this on my new MacBook. It can't seem to rip "Stargate: The Ark of Truth". Gives a garbled output.

Anyone else have problems?

I can use the older version (0.7.1) on my old Mini to rip the DVD, neither will work on my new MacBook...Might want to try MacTheRipper and then Handbrake 0.92. It's a rather new disc though.

AliensAreFuzzy
Mar 12, 2008, 10:57 AM
I'm getting that in the mail today. I'll try it. But I've found that 0.9.2 gives me garbled output a lot. I tried SG-1 Season 7 with 0.9.2 and it gave very blocky output. I tried it with 0.9.1 and the quality was MUCH better. Even though I want 5.1, I can't live with that video quality.

Eidorian
Mar 12, 2008, 11:00 AM
I'm getting that in the mail today. I'll try it. But I've found that 0.9.2 gives me garbled output a lot. I tried SG-1 Season 7 with 0.9.2 and it gave very blocky output. I tried it with 0.9.1 and the quality was MUCH better. Even though I want 5.1, I can't live with that video quality.In a surprising coincidence I'm working on Season 5 of SG-1 right now since I have my new 320 GB hard drive. I haven't had any problems, yet.

AliensAreFuzzy
Mar 12, 2008, 11:04 AM
In a surprising coincidence I'm working on Season 5 of SG-1 right now since I have my new 320 GB hard drive. I haven't had any problems, yet.

What settings are you using? I've got some settings that make it work on my iPods and still look good on my :apple:TV. Trying to do the same thing with 0.9.2 has been a challenge because when I find settings that actually are usable on my iPod, there is blocking and generally messy encoding. I'll post a screenshot when I get home.

Eidorian
Mar 12, 2008, 11:05 AM
What settings are you using? I've got some settings that make it work on my iPods and still look good on my :apple:TV. Trying to do the same thing with 0.9.2 has been a challenge because when I find settings that actually are usable on my iPod, there is blocking and generally messy encoding. I'll post a screenshot when I get home.I'm just using Normal right now. I talked with Multimedia and a few other friends. They were all about some magic settings for iPods and AppleTVs. I don't have either so the Normal setting works for me.

gkarris
Mar 12, 2008, 11:21 AM
Might want to try MacTheRipper and then Handbrake 0.92. It's a rather new disc though.

I'm getting that in the mail today. I'll try it. But I've found that 0.9.2 gives me garbled output a lot. I tried SG-1 Season 7 with 0.9.2 and it gave very blocky output. I tried it with 0.9.1 and the quality was MUCH better. Even though I want 5.1, I can't live with that video quality.

In a surprising coincidence I'm working on Season 5 of SG-1 right now since I have my new 320 GB hard drive. I haven't had any problems, yet.

I successfully ripped "The Ark of Truth" with my Mini (1.66 CD, GMA950), but won't work on my new MacBook. I haven't tried any other disc yet.

Does it use the graphics processor to assist encoding? An X3100 problem? DVD drive problem?

Eidorian
Mar 12, 2008, 11:24 AM
I successfully ripped "The Ark of Truth" with my Mini (1.66 CD, GMA950), but won't work on my new MacBook. I haven't tried any other disc yet.

Does it use the graphics processor to assist encoding? An X3100 problem? DVD drive problem?There's a slim chance it might be the DVD drive. Apple doesn't have any sort of GPU based decoding/encoding capabilities in OS X that I know of.

gkarris
Mar 12, 2008, 11:27 AM
There's a slim chance it might be the DVD drive. Apple doesn't have any sort of GPU based decoding/encoding capabilities in OS X that I know of.

Just thought about that. The DVD plays fine in my MacBook...

When I get home:

1. I will try a different DVD.
2. I will try a different drive (I have two mobile DVDRW slot-loading drives, one USB and the other FW).

Will report my findings...

AliensAreFuzzy
Mar 12, 2008, 12:09 PM
Just thought about that. The DVD plays fine in my MacBook...

When I get home:

1. I will try a different DVD.
2. I will try a different drive (I have two mobile DVDRW slot-loading drives, one USB and the other FW).

Will report my findings...

Also download and try Mac the Ripper to rip the disk to an image that you can use with Handbrake.

gkarris
Mar 12, 2008, 02:30 PM
^^^^

I use MacTheRipper for some strange file system R2 discs that Handbrake won't decode properly ("Thoughtcrimes" comes to mind - 4.9 Gig DVD? Handbrake can never seem to figure out the file system...)

I guess I can try it - but would like to stick to a 1 step solution, rather than a 2 step one...

gkarris
Mar 12, 2008, 06:49 PM
Here's the verdict:

"Stargate: The Ark of Truth" DOES NOT work on my MacBook, no matter what drive I try. Old or new version of Handbrake. Other DVD's DO work.

It DOES work on my Mini. Old or new version of Handbrake.

It DOES work on my MacBook IF AND ONLY IF you use MacTheRipper to put it onto the hard drive first.

These new DVD's have some sort of new copy-protection?

Looks like my Mini is not affected. Worth keeping just for that...

Thanks. Off to watch "The Ark of Truth" for the second time..

Eidorian
Mar 14, 2008, 06:03 PM
I'm having problems with Season 7 as well. I've ripped it with MacTheRipper but Handbrake doesn't know what to do with it sometimes. I've been able to get it to read my disc files but I haven't gotten to finishing an encode yet. It plays just fine in VLC.

I'd try DVD Player but I have 4 GB of RAM and it panics.