PDA

View Full Version : When do you think the 2nd Gen iPod Touch will be released?

ryan.stewie
Feb 20, 2008, 10:36 PM
When do you think the 2nd Gen iPod Touch will be released, and what new features do you think it will have?

aaronw1986
Feb 20, 2008, 10:37 PM
Probably not till after a 2nd gen iPhone

puckhead193
Feb 20, 2008, 10:42 PM
not for a while, what else is missing? Just a larger capacity.

wizard
Feb 20, 2008, 10:57 PM
not for a while, what else is missing? Just a larger capacity.

Ohh that is so easy it hurts. The one thing that Touch could really use is BlueTooth. That is a fully supported Bluetooth with all the common profiles. Such an enhancement would make the coming SDK even more useful in the development of custom applications.

Of course larger capacity is always useful too.

What I like about the possibility of BlueTooth is that it can be implemented without a drastic change in the current Touch. Not that I don't want to see larger models, just that this one could be viable much longer with that little bit of I/O.

Dave

BrownManUPS
Feb 20, 2008, 11:13 PM
I say first half of 2009. More like early 2009 at Macworld. Reason is because the touch is going to undergo major fixes and revisions, macbook pros need to come out (perhaps next week), a new macbook revision will be due around school time, and something will be done with the nano. Oh and the rollout of Starbucks implementation should be a huge focus.

Oh and lets not forget iPhone going 3G. Which by the way, a price drop will occur when the 3G iPhone is released, and EDGE phones will probably not even exist, because who would honestly settle for a ******** internet.

I think the touch will have a nice ride until 2009, where maybe we'll see a touch without the stupid edges and more with less theme still occurs in Apple's HQ. And a bigger capacity (8 GB will be thrown out).

TP-Eric
Feb 20, 2008, 11:13 PM
Septmeberish, which is the usual iPod refresh period.

Bluetooth with the A2DP profile is an absolute must and pretty much a no-brainer. 64GB may be in the cards if flash memory prices continue to plummet as they have been -- then I'll have to upgrade yet again. And by Og's thunderous balls there had better be a real, honest-to-goodness customizable equalizer. It's way, way past time that this was implemented. It's one thing if Apple didn't add it to the other iPods due possibly to lacking a simple and elegant way to implement it (though I can think of several), but there is absolutely no excuse for this to be missing on the Touch. (Yes, this is a pet peeve...)

I can also foresee the ability to interface with AppleTV somehow. It would make sense in the longer term for Apple to promote both and give AppleTV a greater level of relevance by giving it the ability to sync TV and movies directly to the iPod.

macRat17
Feb 21, 2008, 01:58 AM
probably septemberish after an iphone refresh..hopefully

jbarr
Feb 21, 2008, 07:45 AM
For me, it's one, and only one hardware improvement: External speaker!

Come on, Apple, how tough is it to provide a simple onboard speaker that will let me hear audio and video clips without earbuds? And it doesn't need to be high-fidelity, just good enough to hear clearly. The current transducer simply doesn't cut it for such an advanced and capable device.

JML42691
Feb 21, 2008, 09:35 PM
My guess, September 3rd or 10th, most likely the 3rd.

aethelbert
Feb 21, 2008, 10:13 PM
I doubt this year. New iPods didn't come out every year, just updated. The touch has more of a future with software than hardware.

The only realistic thing that I see it getting is built-in speakers, and that's a longshot due to its size (and the fact that no other iPods have ever had them). Bluetooth is a no no for obvious reasons. Camera is pointless.

Rizvi1
Feb 22, 2008, 09:50 AM
Good to hear.. I want to get an iPod touch soon and replace my 4GB Nano. The last thing I would want is for my Touch to be outdated right after I bought it

TP-Eric
Feb 22, 2008, 12:16 PM
Bluetooth is a no no for obvious reasons.
I'm not sure why this should be obvious. It seems to me that it's the next logical step in wireless connectivity. Many PMPs and DAPs are now including Bluetooth 2.0+EDR with the A2DP profile for wireless speaker/headphone use. It would strike me as a pretty boneheaded move on Apple's part if they didn't get with the program and include it in on the Touch at some point in order to remain ahead of the pack (given all of its other features). It seems inevitable. Better they do it sooner rather than later. It's not like they couldn't squeeze a simple BT radio in there while retaining the same form factor. They already have the firmware to support it (they just need to swap the Hands Free profile with A2DP on the stack) so it would be a breeze for them to do.

wizard
Feb 22, 2008, 12:57 PM
I doubt this year. New iPods didn't come out every year, just updated. The touch has more of a future with software than hardware.

Yes but minor updates could include things like Bluetooth. It should be implementable without a case change at all.

The only realistic thing that I see it getting is built-in speakers, and that's a longshot due to its size (and the fact that no other iPods have ever had them). Bluetooth is a no no for obvious reasons.

So what are those obvious reasons because frankly I see Bluetooth as the most obvious upgrade going at the moment. Considering how tightly Apple controls the Bluetooth stack right at the moment they don't really need to worry about how it is used as they have a very limited number of profiles implemented. Considering its usefulness, if fully implemented with common profiles, it would very much generate more sales. I actually see it pushing demand way up for the Touch.

Camera is pointless.

I agree with this! At least if implemented as a cell phone camera. On the other hand a iPod camera, that is an iPod that has its design focused on the photo generation as opposed to the music playing might make sense. Apples best avenue with this though would be to team up with Nikon.

So you have yet to convince me that Bluetooth is a total no no.

Dave

wizard
Feb 22, 2008, 01:08 PM
I'm not sure why this should be obvious. It seems to me that it's the next logical step in wireless connectivity. Many PMPs and DAPs are now including Bluetooth 2.0+EDR with the A2DP profile for wireless speaker/headphone use.

Yes at the very least they need to support A2DP. But Apple needs to be real smart about this and go with more of the common profiles. Especially now that they recognize that the Touch is as much an internet tablet as it is an iPod.

It would strike me as a pretty boneheaded move on Apple's part if they didn't get with the program and include it in on the Touch at some point in order to remain ahead of the pack (given all of its other features).

Boneheaded is being nice, I'd rather call it stupid and irresponsible. Lets face it even if we limit the argument to just the audio profile, Apple needs it just to respond to the competition. It is a rational requirement for a device like this.

It seems inevitable. Better they do it sooner rather than later. It's not like they couldn't squeeze a simple BT radio in there while retaining the same form factor.

Exactly! They could sneak this in at any time with a simple PC board revision.

They already have the firmware to support it (they just need to swap the Hands Free profile with A2DP on the stack) so it would be a breeze for them to do.
[/quote]
Yep, plus there is the reasonable demand for A2DP that they either have to meet or forfeit sales. The big sales driver in my mind would be the fuller support of the common Bluetooth profiles. If the Touch is going to morph into an internet tablet/PDA then let it communicate with the world.
[quote]

TP-Eric ++++++++++++

Dave

CalmEnvy
Feb 22, 2008, 01:23 PM
I think all they will do is bump up the capacity. I mean what else does it really need? It's fine the way it is to me (screen size + size of the unit).

aethelbert
Feb 22, 2008, 03:52 PM
If they add bluetooth, then you get headsets running around and VOIP programs coming out. VOIP is the last thing that they want to encourage on this device, and let's face it, that's why almost everyone here wants bluetooth.