PDA

View Full Version : Themes?

srobert
Oct 27, 2003, 10:08 AM
I've seen that when submitting a song there is a way to check a "Theme" Box. i.e.: I submitted a few Halloween themed songs. Is there a way to browse songs by theme? I can't seem to find a link or button.

Thanks

srobert

srobert
Oct 28, 2003, 11:10 AM
Arn? Anybody?

arn
Oct 28, 2003, 11:29 AM
Not yet.

I'm actually open to more theme suggestions.

The point of the themes was to provide additional categories to songs that cross genre boundaries.

The problem is finding globally known themes. Some are easier than others... but even Roadtrip is open to interpretation.

arn

srobert
Oct 28, 2003, 11:33 AM
hmm... what I mean, is there a way to get a list of all songs that have been themed as, let's say, Halloween?

Thanks by the way.

arn
Oct 28, 2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by srobert
hmm... what I mean, is there a way to get a list of all songs that have been themed as, let's say, Halloween?

Thanks by the way.

Not just yet... but there will be.

arn

srobert
Oct 28, 2003, 11:59 AM
Thanks mr. Arn :)

jbembe
Oct 28, 2003, 02:32 PM
Some ideas...

I think we should be able to organize playlists for other folks to look through, like "My blues playlist" My electronic stuff, etc. This would be better than just "also recommended" Clapton is a rock genre that I would include on a blues playlist for example.

Also, what about some kind of explanation for star ratings so others can know what kind of songs fit in what category?

arn
Oct 29, 2003, 01:32 AM
Stars are for your own personal ranking system to keep your list in some sort of order.

It really only offers relative rankings of songs within your list.

The system that is currently in place is there after deciding to reject a global ranking system. There is very little absolute Good or Bad in music... since musical tastes vary so much.

As a result, we went with a songs you recommend to others vs not. And of the songs you recommend, you can order them in any order you'd like.

As you can see Ice Ice Baby is a #2 ranking on my list... I like the song and do think other people would like it... but I certainly don't necessarily want my musical tastes to be defined by that song to a casual browser of my list. The list is automatically ordered from top-to-bottom by stars. If you want to see your list how others see it... log out of DailyTunes and view your list.

Does that make sense? Do you feel it could be improved?

As people's lists get larger, there will have to be subgrouping of your own lists... perhaps into user defined subgroups or sublistings. It will have to be done in an easy/user friendly way, and also needs to be obvious for the casual observer.

There's a lot more potential features coming... but I wanted to go slow since it's hard to tell how things will be used until actually implemented.

I really like the potential for browsing songs by clicking on one, seeing recs for related songs etc....

I am very open to more ideas, changes to current ideas. It's a work in progress.

arn

jbembe
Oct 29, 2003, 09:15 AM
Let me clarify, first the whole idea is beautiful coming straight out of the gate, I'm not a critic.

Second, the rankings are a great idea and I definitely like the idea of letting everyone generate their own system. I would put Ice Baby at -5, but why should you? I simply think that having a small blurb about what your own personal ranking system means would be a good idea. Right now, any song recommended first by someone else that I put on my list stays at 3, most songs are at 4, and the top of the top are 5. Later I will try and use the whole range from 1 to 5. As it is, it makes sense and my only suggestion for improvement is the ability to relate to people how your personal ranking system is organized.

"There's a lot more potential features coming... but I wanted to go slow since it's hard to tell how things will be used until actually implemented. "

Great, I can't wait to see what's in store! I hope this catches on also!

"I really like the potential for browsing songs by clicking on one, seeing recs for related songs etc...."

I agree fully, it is the easiest way for me to access music that would be most interesting for me, based on my liking of song x, person y suggests these other songs. Its definitely more focused than trying to go through every song on someones' list from top to bottom. I only meant that in addition to this feature, playlists would be fun.

"I am very open to more ideas, changes to current ideas. It's a work in progress."

Great so far, just wanted some additions. Changes unnecessary.

Josh

sketchy
Oct 30, 2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by jbembe
Some ideas...

I think we should be able to organize playlists for other folks to look through, like "My blues playlist" My electronic stuff, etc. This would be better than just "also recommended" Clapton is a rock genre that I would include on a blues playlist for example.

I think this is a good idea, I would love to put up my chill/down-tempo list here, and if they ever get metropolis records I could put set lists for the goth/industrial crowd.

It would also make my picks make sense. mine all over the board.

sketchy
---------------
now listening to
-- Song: Never
-- Artist: Terranova
-- Album: Close The Door

arn
Oct 30, 2003, 04:49 PM
I'm in the process of working on this functionality.

What is your opinion on having a song in more than one "subgroup"?

Is this an important feature? Or do you think a single song will only go into one subgroup?

arn